• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Signed Fender Well??

@Holmes

The Junk Yard Dog arrived. It is in ALOT better shap than I expected. While inspecting all the part date codes I noticed some scratched letters. With a little WD40 and rubbing it was obvious that it is a name. The begining of the name is under the fender but the last part is there. What the heck is this? Some early form of graffiti?
Its located on the pasender side near the shock tower. Camera is out of power so I'll post pick in AM.

OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

Ok humm 2 weeks later here is the pic. Does anyone know who or what this is?

Attachments

• Signed Fender.jpg
    Signed Fender.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 59

Mosesatm

Ok humm 2 weeks later here is the pic. Does anyone know who or what this is?

Not sure about this particular case but I've seen similar things when buying parts from a wrecking yard over the phone. They pull the part and write the customer's name on it.

OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

I examined the car very closely. The paint is original, no over spray in the usual places like the jams or scuff plates. The fender wells appear original, the weld seems ect do not show repair. I know that this part does bolt on but the udercoating you would find on an unrestored car in the wheel well is undisturbed. Don't see how this could be a replacement. The markings on both sides match. ???? I am familure with the usual pen markings on various parts and some are siginitures, but this is eched. Not aware of this form of signiture from a production line. If this has not appeared before then I guess it must be a repalcement part as you suggest.

J_Speegle

.......... I know that this part does bolt on but the udercoating you would find on an unrestored car in the wheel well is undisturbed.

Bolt on???? isn't that the inner fender panel or the small lip welded to the shock tower?

The markings on both sides match. ???? I am familure with the usual pen markings on various parts and some are siginitures, but this is eched.

By etched you mean in the metal so I would guess that possibly that this si something that was applied to the bare metal, then painted over and when that paint wore/came off the rust etched the metal. Not uncommon for things like Dearborn 65-66 cars that were marked on the radiator support prior to the engine compartment paint. Just a thought

Not aware of this form of signiture from a production line. If this has not appeared before then I guess it must be a repalcement part as you suggest.

When and where was the car assemblied??

OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

It is as you say part of the shock tower but there are bolts on the underside of the fenderwell. Here is the Marti report. 2/22/68 San Jose built.

Attachments

• Marti1.JPG
    Marti1.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 21

J_Speegle

It is as you say part of the shock tower but there are bolts on the underside of the fenderwell. Here is the Marti report. 2/22/68 San Jose built.

Thanks... no have not seen similar ones on another 68 San Jose.