• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Southern Oregon CS on Craig's List

DeadStang

This is not mine--just passing it on: (in case it goes away from CL, it is black in pictures)

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1316956392.html

California Special 1968 - $12500 (Grants Pass)
Date: 2009-08-10, 10:53PM PDT
Reply to: sale-5swb3-1316956392@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1968 Mustang California Special, painted a year ago, but not show quality. power brakes, power steering, air conditioning. Great running car, new battery, alternator and regulator. I have a copy of the Marti Report, but it will not upload to this site. Email for a copy or more pics $12500 OBO or call for more information. 541-659-1350

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

bassman2

Estimated value????

I've been emailing the owner on the southern oregon car - I have a copy of the marti report.

The engine is not original. It is a 302 though.

The Interior is trashed. And the engine compartment needs to be completely cleaned up.

Can anyone offer advice on the value of this one?

Thanks!

OP
OP
D

DeadStang

The value really depends upon the amount of rust and how much body work needs to be done. Interiors are easy to replace as are engine compartments to spruce up. But if you have to pay someone to do metal work for you, the $$$ rack up very quickly.

bassman2

Thanks - What do you think about the non-matching numbers engine? It has to reduce the value by several thousand dollars.......

The price guide on this website seems a bit old...I thought some folks here might have a better idea of current market conditions/ values.....

thanks

franklinair

Unless you're going concourse, matching #'s are not that big of a deal (IMHO).
Body & frame condition IS a big deal.
Also, freshly painted? Check for Bondo.
What is condition of suspension? A semi big deal if you have to replace.
Cowls OK? Floorpans OK? Framerails OK?
It would have to be looked at up-close-and-personal for an accurate guesstimate.

Neil

OP
OP
D

DeadStang

Thanks - What do you think about the non-matching numbers engine? It has to reduce the value by several thousand dollars.......

To me, as long as the motor is the correct displacement, I don't think that "numbers matching" devalues the car by a huge amt of $. Is it a J-code car?

RedGTvert

Unless you're going concourse, matching #'s are not that big of a deal (IMHO).

Neil

Even in Concorse, numbers matching does not mean anything, and long as the J code has a period 302.

Unless the car is a high value car, matching numbers is meaningless. To many Mustangs are advertised as numbers matching, when in fact, there is no way to ever tell, since there are no numbers on engine blocks other that a K code before 1969.

franklinair

No. Engines became serialized by 1968. The VIN is stamped on the block @ the area aft of the intake manifold. Transmissins were also marked.

Neil

bassman2

Yes it's a J code car.

I may have the opportunity to look at it on Sunday - I'm waiting to hear....

RedGTvert

No. Engines became serialized by 1968. The VIN is stamped on the block @ the area aft of the intake manifold. Transmissins were also marked.

Neil

Not all did. I have seen at least 6 original engines, that did not have any vins or partial vins. They were early cars, but still did not have vins.

franklinair

I can't explain it. Every original '68 I've ever owned had the S/N on the engine.

Neil

rvrtrash

If an engine block was replaced under a factory warranty (first 6 months or so) it probably wouldn't have had the vin restamped, would look original, and the casting dates might even be pretty close. I don't know, just playing devil's advocate and trying to think of a logical answer.

Steve

bassman2

The car is now sitting in my driveway! 10k - and it ran fine in the heat for 4+ hours on the freeway.

I have some concerns however....

I have a valid title, current tags, and the marti report. The seller used the car as a daily driver (school teacher) but I can not locate the VIN on the car.

It looks like someone during a poor repaint, ground off the old plate and vin number under the hood near the fender. AND to make things worse, the door plate does not match the VIN on the title - the doors were replaced at some time along with several interior parts.

So I either have a pieced together car that is a California Special OR I have a clone that someone built and got titled with a CS vin.

Any Help? Ideas?

bassman2

OK - I must be tired or something - I found the VIN right where is should have been - right side dash - TINY and hard to see in the dark.

Guess what - It's a Match! You'd think I'd check before I handed over any cash. lesson learned. Sorry my noobness is showing.

Mosesatm

The car is now sitting in my driveway! 10k - and it ran fine in the heat for 4+ hours on the freeway.

I have some concerns however....

I have a valid title, current tags, and the marti report. The seller used the car as a daily driver (school teacher) but I can not locate the VIN on the car.

It looks like someone during a poor repaint, ground off the old plate and vin number under the hood near the fender. AND to make things worse, the door plate does not match the VIN on the title - the doors were replaced at some time along with several interior parts.

So I either have a pieced together car that is a California Special OR I have a clone that someone built and got titled with a CS vin.

Any Help? Ideas?

You're probably OK with the fender VIN because it's under the fender, not in the little notch, where one would expect it to be.