• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Spark Plug recommendations? J-Code

wally05

What spark plug do you folks recommend for a j-code? I'm thinking just standard Autolite copper plugs with .035 gap. What do you think?

Last edited:

robert campbell

Wally,
Why do you like apple juice?? I like beer!! Not that I don’t like apple juice, but that is a funny quote!

I would recommend standard Autolite plugs gapped at .035. Many sources say that if you upgrade your ignition to MSD or Pertronix, that you should widen the gap. I have had a few conversations with extreme engine builders of motors up to and including pro stock. All seem to say that at high RPM’s that a widen gap (especially .050 and above) will get “blown out” by the compression and violence at of the combustion chamber. They all recommend .035 and very little more.

If your engine is low compression and you are into gas mileage vice power, you can experiment with a wider gap if you have an upgrade to your ignition system. That would be a hotter coil, electronic ignition, and better wires. You may increase gas mileage and more complete burning with a wider gap.

Depends on what you want your engine to do. Few of the high performance guys are into the multiple spark sources or other gimmicks in spark plugs. They use plain old single electrode spark plugs. Nothing more. I cannot speak for people seeking gas mileage. They may benefit from the gimmick plugs.

Now for new cars, I would run what Ford says to run!

Rob

66hcs-conv

Hi Gang,

The Autolite web site says a 45 Autolite plug will work for all the 1968 V8 engines. The platinum plug is AP45 and the double platinum is a APP45.
All are gaped at .035.

I like to use an air compressor & blow around the plugs before I remove them,
seems there is lots of "crud" around the plugs, and it is better to NOT get it in the cylinder.

Have fun, Dave

robert campbell

I like to use permatex antiseize on the spark plug threads. Whether you have aluminum or iron heads.

In the old days it was Autolite BF-32's. Just a bit cooler than 42's (now 45's) and great for high compresion engines.

Rob

John McGilvary

I like to use permatex antiseize on the spark plug threads. Whether you have aluminum or iron heads.

In the old days it was Autolite BF-32's. Just a bit cooler than 42's (now 45's) and great for high compresion engines.

Rob

Wally, standard Autolite plugs gaped at .035 IMO.

Rob, I found my original plugs the other day and they look almost new, do you think they will still fire after 40 years?

Beer is best,
John

OP
OP
wally05

wally05

Wally,
Why do you like apple juice?? I like beer!! Not that I don’t like apple juice, but that is a funny quote!

I would recommend standard Autolite plugs gapped at .035. Many sources say that if you upgrade your ignition to MSD or Pertronix, that you should widen the gap. I have had a few conversations with extreme engine builders of motors up to and including pro stock. All seem to say that at high RPM’s that a widen gap (especially .050 and above) will get “blown out” by the compression and violence at of the combustion chamber. They all recommend .035 and very little more.

If your engine is low compression and you are into gas mileage vice power, you can experiment with a wider gap if you have an upgrade to your ignition system. That would be a hotter coil, electronic ignition, and better wires. You may increase gas mileage and more complete burning with a wider gap.

Depends on what you want your engine to do. Few of the high performance guys are into the multiple spark sources or other gimmicks in spark plugs. They use plain old single electrode spark plugs. Nothing more. I cannot speak for people seeking gas mileage. They may benefit from the gimmick plugs.

Now for new cars, I would run what Ford says to run!

Rob

Haha, I'm not a huge fan of beer, so apple juice was the obvious choice. :icon_ecst I picked up some regular, OEM style copper-core autolite plugs. I used those in my 66 fastback and it ran great. :) Any recommendations on wires just for the heck of it?

OP
OP
wally05

wally05

Oh, and I always use antiseize on plugs and diaelectric grease for the plug wire ends. :)

robert campbell

John,
I bet they would fire right up!! But your car being the big block car, whew what a pain in the butt to change. I used to take the valve covers off to make it easy. And the shock tower braces... But at the same time, how cool to run the vintage plugs in your car. first car, first owner, first plugs.... Now thats a story!!!

Wally,
Plug wires.... Are you wanting a stock wire or do you care? Taylor makes a great wire and so does Ford Motorsport. Big wires that will support hot ignitions!! Not sure where you are going. Hope your name is Wally??

Rob