• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Starting Problem GT/CS

68 special

#1 on the 351w, is looking rearward, it is just to the right of the cap clip. In the book the timing for the '69 351 should be 6 BTC. Should I set there or at TDC?

Bret

rvrtrash

Set it at 6 BTDC to start, if the engine is stock. If it's built up a little, you will probably want to go to 12 BTDC or so. If you move that far, you might want to think about recurving the distributor, but that's a topic for another day.

Steve

68 special

it's bone stock. I'll be out of town for a couple days, so i'll get back to it on thurs.

Issaquah was a bust, all but the camero club, the mg club, and a couple mustangs stuck it out. Food was excellent at XXX.

Bret

68 special

Well, checked the spark at all the plugs,all good. Drained the tank and "mopped" out the carb. Put in 4 gals.of gas, sputtered a couple times then nothing, Thought maybe I flooded it, so let it sit for awhile (1/2 HR), then tried again and no go. Had a beer, that didn't help the car, but I feel better.

What next?

Bret

68 special

I've thrown in the towel.:(

A friend from our church is the manager at the Ford dealer here in Monroe and said to bring it down and they would take care of her. It's not easy letting someone else touch your baby. It's for the best, as she needs an experts touch. Will find out later today how she is doing.:)

She sure drew a crowd when I got there. Every mechanic stopped what they were doing to come and look at her.:):)

Bret

68 special

Got my car back today. It starts and runs, but, I still don't think it is timed right. Idles rough and when I step on the gas it back fires out the exhaust and sometimes out the carb. He said he set the timing at 8 deg., but had marked the dampner at 2 deg. He also asked if the engine had a cam. He said that is why it runs so rough and he couldn't time it right without knowing more about the cam!!!

I tried to move the dist. to 6 deg. but seemed like I had to move it a lot. At 6 deg, the vacuum advance was pointing at the voltage regulator. That seems way off to me.

So, Is it still out of time?

Bret

CougarCJ

He is asking if it has a different cam?

Firing order for the 351W and modern SBF cams is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, reverse rotation.
Check to see that he didn't put your firing order back to what is cast into your stock intake manifold.

68 special

Ta-Da, She lives! Thanks for all the support and helpful hints.

Turns out it was backfiring because the "expert" moved the wires in the cap 1 hole clockwise and put #6 wire in the # 5 hole in the cap. So, reversed the wires and she fired right up.

Now, when I set the timing at 6 deg. I have to turn the dist. clear over to the drivers side, about the 12:20 position,12:00 being at the windshield. Shouldn't it face more to the center of the car, maybe just to the drivers side of the radiator cap, 12:25 pos? If, I were to lift the dist. and move the rotor 1 tooth to the left, will that put it facing about the 12:25 position.

Or, should I just leave it?

Thanks Bret

robert campbell

Been at the lake since Thursday night.

Brett, you are right on. Move the dis-turb-i-tor one tooth back and it should point the advance module kinda straight towrds the radiator.

Don't get to hung up on 6 degrees BTDC. The more advance the better until it pings hard. Go to 10 degrees BTDC and try it.

More advance equals less heat, more horse power, and better gas mileage.

Rob

rvrtrash

I agree with Rob. My comment about 6 deg was just to start there to get the car running. One more thing. If you have a 1/4 in drive set, and you move the distributor one tooth, use a socket and long extension to move the oil pump drive as well. Be careful not to lose the socket. The distributor probably won't go in unless you move the shaft.

Steve

Last edited:

68 special

Yeah, the 6 deg. was more or less a reference. If I tried 10 deg. now, it would be pointing at the tire. I'll play with it tomorrow along with tracking down this yoke problem.

Thanks guys for the help.

robert campbell

Brett,
To advance the engine looking stright down on the distributor cap, is clockwise. Most people get there distributors in a spot where they hit the thermo housing on the intake manifold "before" they get the advance they want.

Once you get it correct, the vacumm advance pod will point almost straight at the radiator.

But in the grand sheme of things it makes no difference. In the concurs world yes, but in the modified world, natta. Sometimes it makes room for something else like a gas line or fuel filter.

Rob

68 special

Didn't mess with the running aspect, instead I took the tail shaft off of the trans and tried to slip it onto the yoke and no go. Looks like the bushing has a couple nicks and just slightly out of round. Off to the trans shop tomorrow.

Bret

Ruppstang

Did that happen when you tossed it at the wall of you shop? Right before the beer can opened? Marty

68 special

If it had been 30 years ago, possibly. Luckily, I've matured a little and quietly walked away, closed the garage doors, turned out lights, and grabbed a beer. It'll come together, just takes patience.

Bret

68 special

Took the tail shaft and the driveline to the trans shop only to find out that the outside dia. of the yoke is too big. It measured 1.503 instead of 1.50. So, now back to the driveline shop to get another yoke. I'm bringing the tail shaft also so there won't be any more mistakes.

Bret