• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Supporting Our Troops

still looking for one

A *must* read for every American. This aspect of the war doesn't sell newspapers. Oh boy, that was REAL tough just to read. I can't even begin to imagine having to live it

As I said, ibid, we MUST SUPPORT our troops, and THAT MEANS VETERANS TOO (and, Yes I WAS shouting)

Jim

Perkchiro

"All in all, our president is likeable, is probably relatively intelligent, is well-intended but, unfortunately, also appears to be profoundly ignorant and seeminlgly lacks even a modicum of wisdom... but, this is what happens when *we* the people elect someone who got into Yale through the "alumni affirmative action program", avoided the draft by spending his time defending Texas (Texas Air Natl Guard), and was a playboy until age forty."

BUNK! ( and yes, I'm shouting too!)

Mustanger

I think we need to pray for all the troops serving our country, and to also pray for our leaders, from the President, to the generals, and down to the squad leaders. These guys need all the help they can get.

On another note, this story, a very moving one, makes me marvel as to how much medical science has come along ... I mean, in previous wars, there's no way that these guys would survive and come back into society the way they do now. I truly thank God for the skilled doctors and therapists that help these heroes make a come back and are able to see their family and friends. God bless them all!

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Mosesatm said:
IMHO, Equating the Iraq conflict to the Crucifixion is reprehensible, unless Bush really is God as he seems to believe.

Folks, I've sat here this week and watched and read what you've posted and said. Some of you folks are so far off base it's not funny.

I don't know where you got the idea that what I posted equates the Iraq war to a Crucifixion or a Crusade or Bush thinking he's God. It's about support for our "TROOPS". Some of you couldn't be more offline than your computer. I might have been wrong in posting this here in the "Off Topic Lounge" but, I dont' think so. OK, Jon you can pull this if you want but, it's time I say what I think.

The War in Iraq is not about 9/11. That's just part of it. These people (Muslims) have been trying to kill us for the past 20+ years. Wake up folks. We can't afford to loose this war on terrorism. If we do we loose our way of life. These people don't just want to shut us up, they want to wipe us off the face of the earth. Our news is so white washed and santized, none of us are getting the real story. It's unfortunate that our troops on the front lines are just about the only ones that see the true story. Please, if not for your own sake, for the sake of your childrens children wake up and see what's going on around you. I spent 20 plus years defending this country and I will continue to do so until the day I die. If that means I have to battle someone or anyone on my front pourch than so be it. End of my soap box.

Don

Mosesatm

Don, I certainly understand your passion for the situation, and if I had been in the military I might feel the same, but your life experiences have given you a particular way you view things and other's lives have given them other ways to view the same thing. That is the beauty of this country and of our different experiences; it lets us discuss ideas in a way that we can try to make others understand our point of view and at the same time we can do our best to understand theirs.

In light of that I think to say that everyone who does not agree with you is "so far off base it's not funny" is an interesting statement. And to firmly state that we are all a bunch of witless rubes who can't see what is happening around them is, in my opinion, a little insulting.

I still read the poem as equating the Iraq conflict to the crucifixion. I don't know what was in the author's head when he or she wrote the poem but my life experiences and my mathematical and overly-analytical mind makes the direct connection. To me it is just like high school geometry. If a=b, and c=b, then a=c.

I'd also like to remind everyone that a group who could be considered some of the worst terrorists in modern times were a bunch of white Christians from Ireland. Remember the IRA?

I understand that I am the one who started this whole out-of-control thread by pointing out the crucifix thing and I apologize for the turn the thread has taken, but in my defense I started the reply with IMHO, which means in my humble opinion. That's all it is, just my humble opinion and I wouldn't want to force it upon anyone.

In the poem you see a tribute to soldiers and I see a justification for war. Who's right and who's wrong? Who cares??? The only way we will ever know is to find the author and that probably isn't going to happen.

Who's right and who's wrong about the Iraq conflict? I don't think anyone is right or wrong because it is not a right or wrong issue. The whole thing is far too complex and convoluted for there to be a right or wrong answer.

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

Lets not bring the IRA into this. The IRA are just reacting in the same way as America would if the muslims took all our food from our ports and made the country starve, pushed their religion on us and insisted we become and believe in a whole different religion, etc.....

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Mosesatm said:
Don, I certainly understand your passion for the situation, and if I had been in the military I might feel the same, but your life experiences have given you a particular way you view things and other's lives have given them other ways to view the same thing. That is the beauty of this country and of our different experiences; it lets us discuss ideas in a way that we can try to make others understand our point of view and at the same time we can do our best to understand theirs.

In light of that I think to say that everyone who does not agree with you is "so far off base it's not funny" is an interesting statement. And to firmly state that we are all a bunch of witless rubes who can't see what is happening around them is, in my opinion, a little insulting.

I still read the poem as equating the Iraq conflict to the crucifixion. I don't know what was in the author's head when he or she wrote the poem but my life experiences and my mathematical and overly-analytical mind makes the direct connection. To me it is just like high school geometry. If a=b, and c=b, then a=c.

I'd also like to remind everyone that a group who could be considered some of the worst terrorists in modern times were a bunch of white Christians from Ireland. Remember the IRA?

Arlie;
No, you don't understand my passion. You've never been there to see your bothers in arms blown up in front of you. And yes, your right my life expierences have given me a different way to see things. I do have to admit your right, this country gives us all the freedom to say and feel the way we do. But, to say that "In light of that I think to say that everyone who does not agree with you is so far off base it's not funny is an interesting statement." I never said you were all a bunch of witless rubes, you said that not me. Do me a favor Arlie, go back to sleep. That seems to be your best way of operation.

Don

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Don, why lower yourself to hurling insults. I've always thought you to be above that.

You're right, the "witless rube" description was mine, not yours. But that is how I read, "Please, if not for your own sake, for the sake of your childrens children wake up and see what's going on around you."

Sorry, but when someone tells me to wake up and see what's going on around me I take that as meaning the author of the statement holds the answer and I am clueless, hence the "witless rube" analogy.

If that is not how you meant the comment, again, I apologize for misinterpretation.

Rhonda, what's wrong with mentioning the IRA? It seems to me that terrorists are terrorists no matter what holy cause they support. Again, they are the perfect example that there is not always a good-vs.-evil or right-vs.-wrong in every situation.

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Mosesatm said:
Don, why lower yourself to hurling insults. I've always thought you to be above that.

You're right, the "witless rube" description was mine, not yours.

Arlie;
That's were your wrong, I'm not hurling insults, I'm just stating a fact. Like I said "go back to sleep", I promise I won't be on your front porch, I'll be on my own. In case you haven't noticed Arlie, the IRA have nothing to do with Iraq. Take another prozac and call me in three days.

Don :icon_bore

Mosesatm

68gt390 said:
Arlie;
That's were your wrong, I'm not hurling insults, I'm just stating a fact. Like I said "go back to sleep", I promise I won't be on your front porch, I'll be on my own. In case you haven't noticed Arlie, the IRA have nothing to do with Iraq. Take another prozac and call me in three days.

Don :icon_bore

Again with the insults.:cry:

Don, for the benefit of both of us, and eveyone one else who has been reading this nonsense between us, I'm going to give up tryng to have a civil discussion, take your your advice, and call it a night.

But please explain the porch thing tomorrow. Now you've piqued my curiosity:wink: .

Mustanglvr

Maybe we should worry about the terrorists in our own country, like the KKK, street gangs and organized crime families. Even our own children are becoming terrorists by shooting up their own schools.

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Mustanglvr said:
Maybe we should worry about the terrorists in our own country, like the KKK, street gangs and organized crime families. Even our own children are becoming terrorists by shooting up their own schools.

Maybe those who claim to be parents today should be doing a better job. I have found that many of the young folks today have no respect for much of anything including themselves. :rolleyes:
As far as I can see it, that responsibility falls on their parents.

Don

Mustanglvr

Yes, exactly Don. Thats just what I was saying in a thread where we were talking about the Columbine massacre.

Midnight Special

...Don, I like your poem - thank you for posting it. Re; terrorism and Iraq - This has been brewing for a long time and ignored by administrations on all sides until 911. Like it or not, we're "in it", so let's stay together and "win it".