• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Thinking of buying my first Ford 1968 GT/CS

JohnnyQuest515

I follow Neil's thoughts about a "done" car.

My car was "almost done" or "nearly done" , but found after digging that there were items that I needed replaced or repaired. After 14 months my last car show a couple months ago a friend said "wow" you have made progress. I think the draw for a project car is the work put into it and satisfaction it was done right. Yeah, they can be a money pit and my wife still asks " another box came for your car today"?

I'm a weekend warrior so really limited on what I can do but realize my limitations. My brother a former mechanic heads me in the right direction when I have questions on which way to proceed. Most people will help you just ask!

Have fun, Randy

robert campbell

Done can be fun. But it is never "your" car in your mind. The post that Arlie put up shows a car with alot of surface rust. Usually no big deal. Sitting in tall grass is scary, but that is why you take someone along to inspect for a sound car. The car Arlie posted could be one heck of a good deal!!

If it wasn't 1,500 miles away, I would look at it!

Rob

Mosesatm

I follow Neil's thoughts about a "done" car.

My car was "almost done" or "nearly done" , but found after digging that there were items that I needed replaced or repaired. After 14 months my last car show a couple months ago a friend said "wow" you have made progress. I think the draw for a project car is the work put into it and satisfaction it was done right. Yeah, they can be a money pit and my wife still asks " another box came for your car today"?

I'm a weekend warrior so really limited on what I can do but realize my limitations. My brother a former mechanic heads me in the right direction when I have questions on which way to proceed. Most people will help you just ask!

Have fun, Randy

Pssssttt, Randy, order her something (not from a Mustang parts vendor) so when she asks that question you can tell her it's for her.
Good husband points!!!

robert campbell

A Deal...Maybe
I see it more as a money pit. You need to start with a car with good fundamentals and I'd want to know how much rust it has throughout.

I agree on a thorough rust evaluation, but..... My cars are money pits in one form or another!!!! The longer they stay, the nicer they get, the more I spend!!!! :grin:

Crap, I am redoing stuff again on my GNS that I did new in 1989!!! When does it end!!!!! :icon_pani

Rob

Wild Willie

Hi John,

I found myself in the same position as you have and did not hesitate to aquire the 68 GT/CS for $5k this past August. Since then I'm up to $4K invested and on a nice path to have this car in great condition in 6-8 months with another $5K minimum invested for a total around ~$15K.

This has been a very exciting project and many here on this site have provided me great information and knowledge about these unique cars. What a great site and good people who have helped me.

My son and I have done alot of work ourselves and are enjoying the restoration process. I have documented and photographed alomost every detail. If you'd like to come visit or talk to me here in San Jose I'd be happy to share and or show you my project.

This car had no rust except for under the battery pan, the motor had been rebuilt once and is in good consition, the body is straight and we are having fun step by step. We are being really carefull as this car can quickly turn into a money pit and to a condition I would be scarred to let my daughter driv to high school in next year.

Feel free to drop me a line and we can chat. Here are a few pic's for reference.
DSC03961.jpg

DSC04139.jpg

DSC04227.jpg
Thanks,

Dennis in san Jose

rvrtrash

I don't know how you guys are restoring a car for only $10K. I spent $4K just on the engine, transmission and rear end. Paint and body work was another $5K. All told, I spent $20K on top of my $5K purchase price, and did much of the work myself. I guess I'm buying my parts at the wrong places. I'm in the Mach 1 I'm doing now more than $10K and haven't even started on the steering, suspension, drivetrain.

Steve

franklinair

Engine O/H (stock, bored .030)=$1,100. C-4 O/H (w/Shift kit)=$1,100. Rear (Bearings & seals)=$400. Engine peripherals (Carb, ignition, etc.)= $700. $3,300 Total

Neil

Last edited:

Wild Willie

OK-OK Guys, I have wishfull thinking and a target of $15K.... I'm sure I will exceed it with body and paint but it's a goal.... yes, all parts come with a discount....

Attachments

• 100_3534.jpg
    100_3534.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_3455.jpg
    100_3455.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 27

Mosesatm

Here is a breakdown of my short block rebuild cost - just to use as a reference.

Parts
Melling 24212 Cam
F-18 Cam Bearings
Freeze Plugs
Fel-Pro Gaskets
J-900 Lifters
MS590P Main Bearings
Wrist Pins
273AP-60 Pistons
CB634P Rings
Rod Bearings
Melling Timing Set
Melling 68 Oil Pump
Parts $441

Labor
Boil Block $90
Bore & Hone $140
Deck Block $100
External Balance $250
Polish Crank $25
Resize Rods $140
Install Rods $48
Assembly $525
Total Labor $1,318

Total Short Block Rebuild Price = $1,759

Heads $600

Total Long Block Rebuild Price = $2,350

Of course on top of that cost you could spend money on a carb, intake, thermostat, oil sending unit, water temp sending unit, motor mounts, air cleaner assembly, valve covers, water pump, oil & filter, antifreeze, belts, radiator service, radiator hoses, vacuum hoses, heater hoses, fuel hoses, fuel pump, spark plugs, paint, engine bolt kit, and whatever I missed. All that can easily add another $2,000.

Last edited:

Ruppstang

Wow I guess I am lucky the 289 that I had overhalled last fall for the silver 67 was 1310.00 complete. He even put it on a test stand and did the break in. When I arrived to pick it up he started it up for me. Marty

Attachments

• AACA national Topeka 031.JPG
    AACA national Topeka 031.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

68stangx2

The other things to seriously consider are:

1. How much time do you have to work on the car? You can save quite a bit by doing work yourself, but you have to have the time to do it. I recently bought a "done" GT/CS, trading my 2 project cars plus some cash for it, because I never found enough time to actually do all the things I wanted to do on the project cars. After years of only finding a few hours here or there to work on my hobby, I finally decided that it was worth the extra money to actually be able to enjoy (drive) my car whenever I wanted and use my limited time to work on small stuff like detailing and upgrading.

2. Is working on the car actually going to be enjoyable for you? If working on the car becomes a chore rather than a hobby you are better off getting a "done" car.

I do relate to many of the posts though. It was tough to let all the work I had put into my project cars go. It's true that all that meticulous work really makes the car yours.

OP
OP
T

Thenewguy

Hey everyone!

Tthanks for all the great advice! I have asked if I could take some pics of the car, I'm guessing after the Xmas holiday's I will get them and post some up here.`
I do understand the financial cost involved in restoring old cars. I have owned 3 1960's muscle cars in the past and done some considerable restoring on them.... I won't mention the cars on here for fear of death by fireing squad :)
I was figureing between 10-15K to fix her up as a nice driver car. It would definately become my new hobby, and I have some very talented friends that restore muscle and hot rods that are willing to help me with most of the restoration.
I'm a single guy with no kids so I think I would have alot more time than some guy's do to work on the car....oh no girlfriend at the moment either haha!
I'm very passionate about old muscle cars! and I know quite a bit about Chevy's....sorry.
I've always wanted to own a nice Mustang!
I will have Pictures up soon I promise!
Thanks and Happy Holidays to you all and your famlies!
John.....