• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Trunk Lid Bumpers

Mosesatm

This topic has been discussed previously on this site but if you don't mind I'd like to bring it up again to make sure we all agree.

When Bill and I were looking at a late production (171 series) X-code GT/CS at a local show we noticed the car has Shelby-like trunk bumpers. After a lively discussion between Jason, Scott, Bill, and I we all agreed to disagree on whether they should be on the car.

Do some have the bumpers and some don't? Is it a big block thing? Do only the late cars have them?

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• GTCS Trunk Bumpers.jpg
    GTCS Trunk Bumpers.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 54

390cs68rcode

I'd be curiouys to know if Scott's 428 HCS has them considering it is a very ordiginal car.

Bob Teets' car?

mine has them.

somethingspecial

I had mine in/since 1983 and it is an S code. It had never been hit in the rear and has the original tail light panel. It did not/does not have any bumpers nor any holes for same. My other GT/CS does not either. I have never seen any provisions on any others I have seen, including other S code GT/CSs. My car was built on 04-05-68. My C code was built a week earlier. Mike

390cs68rcode

thinking out loud here.....

maybe the cars that have been restored used a Shelby tail panel or whatever it is called?

added:
Looking at the online NPD catalog there is only one Corner Filler available for a 68 coupe and nothing noting Shelby's have a different part. This doesn't mean someone didn't make them in the past (with the holes for the bumpers).

There has to be a reason these bumpers on on different cars and at the same places. I'm just curious if it was a factory thing or a after the factory/restoration thing.

our special

I stand to be corrected. but I believe that the Shelby had the rubber bumpers and the California Special had the foam rubber, weather stripping, on both sides of the trunk lid close to the quarter extensions.

Dave

rvrtrash

My tail light panel is formed to accept and locate the bumpers, but was never drilled for them. It didn't have them on when I bought it and it had been parked since 1979. It a 162XXX J code. I would guess someone restoring a car went through a catalog and said, "Hey, I need those" and added them.

Steve

GTCSMustang

I'm in Virginia right now picking up a car, but when I get home tonight I can check my Shelbys and CS/HCS cars. But it sounds like it's pretty well established that the CS cars didn't have them.

Scott

Ruppstang

Our HCS was built 7/16/68 and does not have bumper there. I have judged a lot of 68's and never seen bumpers in that location.Those pads on the metal corners were intended to receive the bumper from the deck lid from above. Marty MCA 38812

admin

Staff member
Administrator
My unrestored HCS doesn't have them either. Small block. July 3 production.