• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Vintage Pics from days gone by.

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

One for the new folks here.

Can anyone tell me what this picture and our cars have in common. Just the new folks please.

Attachments

• Austin1949_AOSmith1500.jpg
    Austin1949_AOSmith1500.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

more planes trains and automobiles. I guess the fast freight photo won't upload to show, neat photo. Mike

Attachments

• belly tank.jpg
    belly tank.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 19
  • FALCONCHALLENGERIIIRAMREGIONAL1382398782.jpg
    FALCONCHALLENGERIIIRAMREGIONAL1382398782.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 30
  • duece line.jpg
    duece line.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 22
  • duece body drop.jpg
    duece body drop.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 24
  • fast freight.jpg
    fast freight.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 19
  • flying wing controls.jpg
    flying wing controls.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 24
  • flying wing northrop xb 35.jpg
    flying wing northrop xb 35.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 18
  • flying wings.jpg
    flying wings.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

The hole in the Empire State Building after a B-25 bomber crashed into it on July 28, 1945

Attachments

• hole in ESB from b25.jpg
    hole in ESB from b25.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 31

dalorzo_f

Yep, the Northrup "xx"-35 (propellor) and -49 (jet, a handful made, maybe 3-5) flying wings were so far ahead of their time it is scary. Abandoned as they were highly unstable (or political pressure, depending who's story you read), until the advent of computer controlled systems too hard to fly reliably.

Not too far off the B-2s in style...

Midnight Special

Yep, the Northrup "xx"-35 (propellor) and -49 (jet, a handful made, maybe 3-5) flying wings were so far ahead of their time it is scary. Abandoned as they were highly unstable (or political pressure, depending who's story you read), until the advent of computer controlled systems too hard to fly reliably.

Not too far off the B-2s in style...

...Abandoned and ordered scrapped because Jack Northrop refused to merge his company with Convair. The concept was proven (amidst teething) to include long range airliner versions... Convair had a huge government lobby (though conventional in their designs) while Northrop was more private and innovative. 'Broke Northrop's heart, but his company soldiered on with private investors (F-20 Tigershark to name a few) and he lived to see the B-2 fly with great admiration for his contributions.
The N9M was one of a handful of concept prototypes which proved the the idea (which in part began in WWII Germany) Attached is a neat old sign I found hanging in a So. Cal hotrod shop where one of Mike's other pics (concepts) originated.....>

Attachments

• _DSC0467.jpg
    _DSC0467.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 31
  • _DSC0463.jpg
    _DSC0463.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 33
  • _DSC0224.jpg
    _DSC0224.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 34
  • _DSC0188.jpg
    _DSC0188.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 34

robert campbell

I am fuzzy. Are those old airplane gas tanks that they could jettison? Then they made them into cars?

Rob

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

I am fuzzy. Are those old airplane gas tanks that they could jettison? Then they made them into cars?

Rob

Oh Rob, I am sooooooo disappointed. Yes, They made lake racers out of fighter drop tanks, SoCal Speed Shop was the first I think to make one, then many more followed as folks saw how aerodynamic they were and built their own. You could buy a drop tank surplus for $10.00-$20.00.

robert campbell

Those tanks look very fragile. Thin metal with a pressed hem to hold the halves together. Remember I was a sheet metal guy by trade!! Guess they were "one use only"!!!!

Rob

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

They weren't to concerned about hitting anything, just less wind resistance. I have seen some with Chrysler hemi's in them. Imaging 200+ MPH in one. What an E ticket ride that would be. :p

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Good looking seat cover

It is always a good thing when you have good looking seat covers.

Attachments

• GOOD SEAT COVER.jpg
    GOOD SEAT COVER.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

FBI training

Don't know where these came from, but I have been told these were FBI training photos.

Attachments

• FBI TRAINING 2.jpg
    FBI TRAINING 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 27
  • FBI TRAINING 1.jpg
    FBI TRAINING 1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

More great Rail Inspection/MOW cars

From the Denver Public Library Archives, so I've been told.

Attachments

• RIC 10.jpg
    RIC 10.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 24
  • RIC 11.jpg
    RIC 11.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 23
  • RIC 12.jpg
    RIC 12.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 23
  • RIC 13.jpg
    RIC 13.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 22
  • RIC 14.jpg
    RIC 14.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 20

CougarCJ

Don't know where these came from, but I have been told these were FBI training photos.

Thompson's are very heavy weapons to shoot single handed like a pistol. And he doesn't have any bullets for his Thompson, no clip, no drum.:rolleyes: