• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Vinyl Roof Question

cannetny

Hey Everyone,
Been a Looong time since I posted on this site, been following though. Anyway, I have decided to go ahead and put the vinyl roof on my car after much debate. My Marti says that it came with a "parchment" roof. I am confused about this because I have only ever seen black and white vinyl roofs. Were there other colors available back in '68? If so, am I supposed to dye a white top parchment? I also find it odd that it would have a parchment roof, parchment interior and a black stripe. I suppose if someone wanted to order it that way......I am putting white stripes on my car though. I just think it looks much better. Thoughts?

I am including my Marti report so you can see what I mean.

Wait a minute....maybe I have it all wrong. Could the "black paint stripe" be the hood stripes I heard you could order?" Maybe it isn't the side stripes?? Anyone have a clue on this one?

Attachments

• MartiAutoWorks.JPG
    MartiAutoWorks.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 46

DLedin

I don't know what other vinyl top colors may have been available but parchment was a vinyl top color option in '68. One of the debut GTCS cars had that color.

I don't believe the GTCS side stripe colors are specified on the Martis, at least it's not on mine, so your guess about the black paint stripe option being for the hood sounds like a good possibilty.

Then again...
In scanning some of the Marti reports that are posted I see that Perkchiro's Marti has the same black paint stripe option as you. Looking at his gallery images I don't see black stripes on the hood. Perhaps he knows what it referred to.

I also spotted Rob Campbell's Marti that said "black out hood treatment" so it's possible that "black paint stripe option" on your Marti report does not refer to the hood.

-DLedin

Last edited:

robert campbell

My elite report calls the black stripes on the hood as "black out hood treatment" But my car is not a Marti GT/CS, but a gold nugget special. so I do not know how that may make a difference.

Rob

franklinair

Vinyl tops were only offered in Black or Parchment (which really looks white).

Neil

OP
OP
C

cannetny

Wow, You guys are the best.

Makes sense that the parchment just looked white. I suppose buying a white vinyl top for my car would be the correct way to go. I can't see trying to dye it. I just want to make sure it is correct, because I am only putting it on the car since it was that way from the factory.

Good find on the pin stripe option. I don't know if I have ever seen that option before, at least I didn't notice it. I think that other thread covered the pros and cons of it. I'll leave it off for now and maybe add it later. That's an easy one to do in the future.

Thanks everyone!!