• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

WHAT to PAY for the 6cyc CS on ebay

69convert

I am trying to resist temptation but I am weakening. I know this car has been discussed before but I would like to get the experts opinions on
what is wrong with the car and what you price range you think is reasonable.
I don't care about the engine being a six, had a 69 convertible with a six that I just loved (and was stupid enough to sell) since a six is enough engine for me.

Mosesatm

The previous auctions have ended at $11,000 so it'll probably take $12K or more to buy it. If you are happy with a 6 then $12k seems more than reasonable to me. Like we've said before, value is an individual thing. If you are looking to keep it then it's worth whatever you are comfortable spending.

Sorry, I should have looked at the ad first. The BIN is $12,500 so if you get it for $12,000 I see rust repair, paint, fog lights & posts, interior freshening, and the usual minor trim odds & ends. My guess is that you're looking at over $5,000 for that work. Who knows if the engine or clutch need work. So at just the $5,000 you're up to $17,000.

Redwingrobb

To add on to what Arlie said. I'm no car expert by any means, but I was looking at that 6 cylinder car when mine came up on a different website for $15k (thanks again Don). I compared the two vehicles and decided that although the 6 banger was a bit cheaper, in the long run I would have to pay more for that than what I got my 289 for. My car needs absolutely nothing. Not a show car but a really nice driver with nice paint, excellent interior (both upper and lower consoles), rebuilt engine, new tires--basically turnkey. Having said that, if my only option was to come in a bit cheaper and then slowly nickel and dime the resto, I would do it. If you get it, that car and mine were built on the same day and only 10 VIN digits apart--within eyeshot on the line. If you're in no big hurry, you may want to stake out not only Ebay, but the other online collector car sites for that right deal--that's where I got mine. Good luck. Robb

68gt390

For the same reason they list the 429 which wasn't even in the CS as well as 2 different 428's and wrong HP ratings on the other engines they lsit - They have no clue. At least they finally listed the six banger. It wasn't even there for a long time. :rolleyes:

That's another reason I don't put too much credence in the NADA prices except to get a base to operate from.

Don

joedls

My understanding of the NADA guide is that the 289 is the baseline, thus it's not listed as an option. The other engine choices are options that would affect the baseline price.

Mustanglvr

So what does a person do with that price guide when you have an original 200 engine car with a 289 engine in it?

390cs68rcode

Mustanglvr said:
So what does a person do with that price guide when you have an original 200 engine car with a 289 engine in it?

you go by the 6 cylinder price and add or subtract for the 289 that is in there depending on if having the 289 is a plus or minus for you. If it were me I would take the 289 price and subtract a little from the price since it was a 6 cylinder.

68gt390

Speaking of that, I don't necessarily agree with their idea of subtracting 20% from the six cylinder. I can understand subtracting a little but, I think 20% is a little to hefty. If their going to do that then lets add 20% or even 25% instead of 15%for the 390. To me that's like saying once I put the 428CJ in my car I should subtract from the 15% because the car was a 390. No way, once it's completed I'm adding at least 30 to 35%for the addition. To me that's an upgrade and since I had to pay to get it there, it will be passed on to the new buyer. Kinda goes along with the adage - to each his own.

Don :grin:

Mustanglvr

390cs68rcode said:
you go by the 6 cylinder price and add or subtract for the 289 that is in there depending on if having the 289 is a plus or minus for you. If it were me I would take the 289 price and subtract a little from the price since it was a 6 cylinder.

I agree, but how much is a little?

Also mine has air conditioning but does`nt blow cool right now. Would I still add the 15% even though its not working?

joedls

Mustanglvr said:

Also mine has air conditioning but does`nt blow cool right now. Would I still add the 15% even though its not working?

I'd add the 15%, then subtract the cost of repair to get it to blow cold.

Mosesatm

Mustanglvr said:

I'm not sure "a little" is the way to go. The maroon car on eBay can't break $11,000 while similar cars with 289s go for $15,000 - $18,000 or so. If we take $16,000 as a base then the 6 cylinder car is around 30% less.

That is about what I'd expect. Somewhere between 25% and 35%. My vote would be 35%.

68gt390

I think the biggest problem is that most folks when they see a classic mustang they just don't relate well to one with a six banger under the hood. To me it's still a classic and should be looked at as such. The positive thing about it though is it's a chance to pick-up a GT/CS at half the price you'd pay for a V-8 version and if you want convert it over the a V-8. I would think it would be a great candidate for nice little 289/302 with a 347 stroker kit and you'd still be under what some of the V-8's are selling for currently. Talk about a car that would turn some heads. :grin:

Don

OP
OP

69convert

thanks for the advice, took the plunge

Hi.
thanks for the advice. I put in a bid. I don't really need another car (at least that is what I keep telling myself) so I am patiently waiting for events to unfold. If i get it fine, if not fine.

barry

Mustanglvr

He`s wrong and I wrote the seller about it. It is 1 of 148 California Specials that came with a 200-1V engine. He says its 1 of 80.