• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What's a fair price?

bbgtcs

What would you guys say is a fair price for a true California Special in the following condition? Solid California body, in need of a paint job, several minor body dings. Most of the chrome needs to be replaced or rechromed. Engine and transmission seem in good shape except, driver side engine mount broken, power steering not working (leaking fluid badly). No brake lights, no back up lights, turn signals not working correctly. Rear windows don't roll down or up, drivers window rolls down, not up. Drivers door does not open from the out side, passengers door is hard to open. Air conditioning compressor and condensor missing. Interior needs everything from the headliner to the carpet underlayment. Guage bezel and dash pad need to be replaced. Has wrong grill (standard 68 grill). missing original radio, current radio doesn't work. Needs full suspension rebuild, at least on the front end. It's a 'C' code automatic with factory disc brakes and console that is in bad shape. The mileage is listed at 176,000 but the odometer reads 25,000.

68gt390

Sounds like this car was beat up pretty bad and is pretty much in need of a major overhaul :'(. The only solid aspect of it is the body. NADA list a 302 at a low of $7450.00 but, that's a car which is in serviceable condition, runs and windows work etc. Considering this car is a "C" code and is missing the A/C equipment, and needs a lot I'd start out pretty low. Say somewhere in the range of $2000.00 or even lower and see what happens. You'll have a nice summer project. Good luck with it. By the way does it even still have the fog lights on it or are they missing also.

Don

rvrtrash

It does need a lot, but if all the CS parts are there, they alone are worth $2K or so, but the grill will be a tough item to find. The windows probably just need some lube in the tracks. I use spray lithium grease. The rest will be just time and money. The way I figured the price on mine when I bought it was the value of a basic mustang in the same shape, plus the CS parts present, plus 20% for rarity and cool factor. You will almost always be into a car more than it's worth if you restore it, but you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did it and what was done.
Steve

speedy02

Man I am in the same spot. I have found a GT/CS thats purple at the moment org color is black "A code". Has front end damage due to a blown tire. Needs to be restored. The only thing is the guy knows what he has and is asking a little over 8,000 I think the car has been hit once before one fender has neen replaced. Org grill is there but well have to be replaced and aftermarket lights are installed. Missing AC under the hood bracket and all but dash componts are there. Also car is a 302 "J code" Auto "W Code" Everthing needs to gone threw. Can anyone tell me whats it worth???

rvrtrash

OK, here's mine as an example. I bought a J code, air cond. car that was all original with all parts but had been hit in the back (damaged taillight panel, one light and trunk lid) and parked in 1980. Everything else was straight but it wasn't running. I paid $5K a year and a half ago, which I figured was at least $1K to high, but it was in a package deal and I really wanted the other car. Just an example.
Steve

OP
OP
B

bbgtcs

Thanks for all the reply's. Don, It does have all the CS parts except for the grille. The fog lights are Lucas. The seller thinks restored California Special go for $25, 000 and this one is worth $12,000 -$13,000 in this shape. I think he's a little off.

hcsstang

:'(Three GTSC's were for sale at Carlisle last Sat. One a fake and the owner wasn't trying to hide it. One needed total restoration. the other one wasn't in to of bad of shape for 13. Both of the orginal ones had all the parts.
I had my car out of the trailer on Fri. and thats the only time that I had it out. Talk about rain .we had 2 3/4 inches. I didn't bother to get my canera out but I was there for the total event.