• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Deluxe Steering Wheel Questions

RU_SPCL2

Does anyone know if the deluxe steering wheel center pad was always wood-grain? Or did it come matched to the interior color when the wheel was ordered as a standalone option on a standard interior car?

Does anyone have a source for the wood-grain center pad?

Mosesatm

Attachments

• Deluxe Steering Wheel.jpg
    Deluxe Steering Wheel.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

franklinair

IIRC, The Deluxe interior package (wood grain dash panels) would have the wood grain steering wheel center. Standard interior models had the color keyed center piece.
The wood grain center piece is metal with a wood grain applique' applied to it. Also the Deluxe steering wheel had a wood grain. (They're tough to find, and expensive to have refinished.)
I couldn't find a Black Deluxe steering wheel for my current project, so I went with a standard wheel with the Deluxe center.

Neil

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 39

teamlo

I have a '68 deluxe steering wheel that needs restored that I have been holding onto for years. My car didn't come with one originally, but they sure look good when restored. As Neil said, not cheap to restore properly.

Terry

OP
OP
RU_SPCL2

RU_SPCL2

IIRC, The Deluxe interior package (wood grain dash panels) would have the wood grain steering wheel center. Standard interior models had the color keyed center piece.
Neil

My car is a standard interior model (black) but was ordered with the deluxe wheel option. I have the original deluxe wheel (not installed) awaiting restoration. There is currently a standard black wheel installed with a black surround and black center pad.

If I can verify that the car would have come with a color-keyed center pad, then I will restore the deluxe wheel and mate it with the existing surround and center pad.

If it would have come with the wood grain center pad, then I might skip the restoration as I think the look of a wood grain wheel/center pad in an otherwise all black interior would seem out of place.

Neil, any idea where you may have come across the information regarding standard interior models being color keyed?

Maybe Marty can also shed some light on this?

Thanks to everyone for the responses and for the help. You guys rock.

Mitch

Ruppstang

As Neil said the deluxe wheel came with the wood grain on the center pad. This wheel - pad combination was intended to go with the décor interior with no other way to get it. But in past years you could order a deluxe wheel so since there was demand they allowed the deluxe wheel to be optioned separately. To answer your question no a deluxe wheel would not have had the black center trim pad. If you like the black change it unless it is a concours car. It is not hard to change back.
Hope this helps. Marty

franklinair

Don't know where to find written verification, but after 40+ years of working on '68 Mustangs, this is what I have observed: Deluxe Interior (which included the woodgrain steering wheel has the woodgrain insert.
I DO have a copy of the Salesman's list of standard equipment and options. It lists the Interior Décor Group (Deluxe Interior) and states "Woodgrain Steering Wheel Rim and Insert". The woodgrain steering wheel was not listed as a 'stand alone' option- it was only part of the Deluxe package.
Hope this helps.

Neil

Last edited:

Ruppstang

Here it is described in my 1968 Ford options sales catalog .
Marty

Attachments

• 1968 Ford Mustang Options 6 001.jpg
    1968 Ford Mustang Options 6 001.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 47

franklinair

Couldn't tell by the photo: Is the cluster pictured standard or woodgrain?

Neil

franklinair

Marty's option catalog looks to be more extensive than my salesman's guide. Perhaps the woodgrain wheel WAS offered as a stand alone option. I've just never seen this upgrade in a '68 standard interior.

Neil

teamlo

Here is a Marti report on a '68 Mustang GT with standard nugget gold interior and deluxe steering wheel. Sorry it's hard to see, I pulled it from a recent ebay listing. The photos of the car on ebay show an aftermarket steering wheel unfortunately.

Terry

Attachments

• deluxe wheel.jpg
    deluxe wheel.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Mosesatm

Here is a Marti report on a '68 Mustang GT with standard nugget gold interior and deluxe steering wheel. Sorry it's hard to see, I pulled it from a recent ebay listing. The photos of the car on ebay show an aftermarket steering wheel unfortunately.

Terry

Interesting.
The Marti shows it being ordered that way by the customer (Retail).

OP
OP
RU_SPCL2

RU_SPCL2

I have seen several Marti reports and window stickers showing the deluxe wheel as a standalone option, including my car.

Maybe someone has a deluxe Marti report that reveals how many came with the standalone deluxe wheel? The Mustang by the Numbers book doesn't break down this option.

OP
OP
RU_SPCL2

RU_SPCL2

Here's the Marti report showing the deluxe wheel...

Attachments

• Marti Report 8R01C149779.jpg
    Marti Report 8R01C149779.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 33

Ruppstang

I guess what I was trying to say it was not originally intended as a stand a lone option but Ford changed their mind and offered it as a stand alone option as reflected in you Marti reports.
Marty