• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wanted Small Block Ford engine near Idaho

hookedtrout

I'm looking for a small block Ford engine, Might even entertain a good flathead. I want something that is in decent shape ready for a rebuild that I could beef up a little for the new little F100 I'm going to rebuild. I'm posting here because I know and trust most of you and just wanted to see if any of you that are close to Idaho might have something you'd be willing to sell and give me a reason for a road trip.

If you have or know of something that I could get to Idaho this summer PM me and let me know what you have and a price range.

Thanks

Mosesatm

Hook,
I just bought some parts from this guy and he has numerous 260s and 289s in his shop/warehouse. It might be worth giving him a call.

Nick 713-941-1554

I'll certainly go look at them for you if you're interested.

J.Bart

you probably don't want a 221 v8? it would be the 5 bolt bell housing
i also have a 302 mexican, but it would have to be broke loose.
i don't know if i want to part with my cleveland blocks.
i do have a 429 and some dove heads
i might know where there is a v12 from a lincoln,

i got a 410 merc also

Ruppstang

Cory,
Last Summer my dad had a 1966 289 out of a mustang overhauled. It has all of the accessories with it. Now that he bought a GT-CS he does not need it now. I think he just hopes to get his $2250 investment back. If you are interested I can get more information about the overhaul and what was done. Marty

rvrtrash

Cory, I have a 302 that's complete from a '71 Torino that's decent. It had a rod knock so a good candidate for a stroker crank kit. I'd sell it to you for the $50.00 I paid for it, but I would really suggest going with a newer roller cam motor. I'd be happy to look for something for you if you want. You were looking for an excuse to go to Silverwood anyway, weren't you?

Steve

PS, what motor mount/header conversion kits are available for the truck? I'd let that be your starting point so you're not fabricating mounts and custom building headers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Thanks guys, Steve, right now that sounds like a great candidate for what I'm looking for, close, a trip I've wanted to make etc. I have a great friend that's a wrench, has been all his life and I can get it built for a very reasonable price. You say it's complete, define complete. Intake, carb, everything?

rvrtrash

It's missing the carb, dist. and front pulleys. It has the intake (2 bbl) and carb spacer, TC cover, water pump, balancer, all sheet metal, and I have some of the accy brackets, but won't guarantee all because I'd have to sort through it. When you consider what a core charge is, it's probably $200 worth of stuff. I bought it for my '69 Fairlane convert, but it's yours if you need it.

Steve

NWGearhead

I have a 351C that came out of a 1973 Mach 1. It has the 2V heads. I would also throw in the matching C4 transmission. The engine is complete from the air cleaner to the oil pan. If you want to hop it up I also have a set of 4V heads and an Edelbrock intake manifold for them.

The engine turns freely and I was told it ran fine when pulled, but I have not heard it run, so do not know the exact condition. I would assume a rebuild is in order.

I bought these as part of a Mach 1 project that I can no longer complete (time, room, life, etc). I would sell the engine and tranny for $650. The 4V heads would be an additional $250 if purchased with the engine ($300 for the heads alone). The intake would be $100.

If you buy everything I would even throw in the rolling engine stand that currently houses the 351.

I am located in Klamath Falls Oregon (extreme southern Oregon). Let me know if you are interested.

I would also let the Mach 1 go for a very good price to a lister. I had a sale fall through on eBay, and need to get the car out of the yard of my old house before it becomes someone else's new house.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

I may very well be interested in the 351C, I'm taking in all the offers. I fully plan on rebuilding what ever I get unless of course the purchase is a completely rebuilt engine. I do plan on building it to be quick so the 4v options would have to be a part of the deal. I'm heading over to the mechanic that has the truck this afternoon. I'm going to run all this info past him and get his input on what the best option would be. I need to lock in the deal so I know specifically what engine I have so I can have the IFS from No Limit set up with the correct engine mounts, I don't want to have to start changing or fabbing on that after I purchase it.

The truck currently has a 4 speed behind the 6. Talk to me about what my options are when switching to an auto? Change out the peddal assembly, change the column if I go column shift, can any auto tranny be made to floor or column shift? I know a column would be more convenient, but at what expense?

I'm no mechanic and these are some of the questions I'll ask Garth (my Mech and life long friend) today as well.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

In all honesty I'm also entertaining big blocks so if you have a big block I may be interested as well depending upon what it is and how much.

CougarCJ

In all honesty I'm also entertaining big blocks so if you have a big block I may be interested as well depending upon what it is and how much.

Which big block? 390/410/428? or 429/460?

Those trucks came with 352's, which is an FE. An FE big block, would be the easiest bolt in.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

390 is one that I'm looking at. I've never owned a 390 so I'm not that familiar with them, good? Bad? I had a 352 once in a 66 F250 and it was like a sewing machine, super reliable and lot's of power. Don't see many 352's for sale, at least not locally, What I'd love is a Y Block, love the old school look.

Attachments

• 103_3019.jpg
    103_3019.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 33

CougarCJ

390 is one that I'm looking at. I've never owned a 390 so I'm not that familiar with them, good? Bad? I had a 352 once in a 66 F250 and it was like a sewing machine, super reliable and lot's of power. Don't see many 352's for sale, at least not locally, What I'd love is a Y Block, love the old school look.

Early Ford pickups also came with the Y block engine.

Easy to spot one of those Y block truck engines. The exhaust manifolds look like they are on backwards. The collectors dump at the front on the engine, driver side crosses over to the passenger side in front of the engine.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Well...my mechanic/best friend told me to put a gm 350 in it, parts galore, cheap, easy to find, lot's of power. It's a standing lifetime joke, best friends for life and he's always been a chev guy and me a Ford guy. He was serious but he already knew my answer.

He also knows how little I care about having the fastest car on the block so he told me to just see how the 6 runs because changing the engine means changing the tranny and changing the rear end, which is all fine but costs a lot of money, he suggests I work on the truck (cosmetics), drive it like it is and see how I like it before I start investing a bunch of money in it.

I couldn't argue so I think I'll heed his advice for now and who knows maybe I'll just end up loving the 6 and sticking it out or maybe it will kill over dead and I won't have a choice? As he well knows I have no interest in racing anyone just playing, getting it to look good and be comfortable and cruising around having fun, guess you can do that with a 6? I do think it would look better with dual exhaust, can you dual out a 6? ;-)

J.Bart

Well...my mechanic/best friend told me to put a gm 350 in it, parts galore, cheap, easy to find, lot's of power. It's a standing lifetime joke, best friends for life and he's always been a chev guy and me a Ford guy. He was serious but he already knew my answer.

He also knows how little I care about having the fastest car on the block so he told me to just see how the 6 runs because changing the engine means changing the tranny and changing the rear end, which is all fine but costs a lot of money, he suggests I work on the truck (cosmetics), drive it like it is and see how I like it before I start investing a bunch of money in it.

I couldn't argue so I think I'll heed his advice for now and who knows maybe I'll just end up loving the 6 and sticking it out or maybe it will kill over dead and I won't have a choice? As he well knows I have no interest in racing anyone just playing, getting it to look good and be comfortable and cruising around having fun, guess you can do that with a 6? I do think it would look better with dual exhaust, can you dual out a 6? ;-)

first off getting advice on a ford from a chevy mechanic , can end in catastrophe.
chevy guys don't know the ins and outs of fords , and when they try to rebuild them like a chev it's not a good result.
have you ever talked to troy at troys engine in rigby?

f100 have 9 in rear ends, they will hold up to any stock/ semi hot rod engine
big block or small.
you can duel exhaust a 6 cyl.
a 390 fe is bullet proof if you keep oil in them, 4x4 guys run them low on oil and then complain
y blocks have oiling problems with the rockers, but there are kits available.
the y block is comparable in strength and reliability to the fe but more expensive to rebuild
a windsor is comparable to a chev 350 on cost to rebuild.
there are tripower carb assemblies available for 6 cyl, if you wanted to hotrod down the road

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Good info Jbart, Garth may be a Chev guy but he's a life long mechanic and he works on them all and the greatest thing about him is I'd trust my life with him, when it comes to mechanics I don't trust many, seen them take advantage of those that don't know better too many times.

There's a 292 in Yakima for $550 that's tempting but I think I'll just get the truck home and run him the way he is for a little bit and give it a good looking over and see how it looks and drives.

I haven't spent more than 10 minutes looking at it, only had it home one night and didn't even spend any time out checking it out, hauled it up to Garth the next evening.

CALIF GIRL

I have a 351C that came out of a 1973 Mach 1. It has the 2V heads. I would also throw in the matching C4 transmission. The engine is complete from the air cleaner to the oil pan. If you want to hop it up I also have a set of 4V heads and an Edelbrock intake manifold for them.

The engine turns freely and I was told it ran fine when pulled, but I have not heard it run, so do not know the exact condition. I would assume a rebuild is in order.

I bought these as part of a Mach 1 project that I can no longer complete (time, room, life, etc). I would sell the engine and tranny for $650. The 4V heads would be an additional $250 if purchased with the engine ($300 for the heads alone). The intake would be $100.

If you buy everything I would even throw in the rolling engine stand that currently houses the 351.

I am located in Klamath Falls Oregon (extreme southern Oregon). Let me know if you are interested.

I would also let the Mach 1 go for a very good price to a lister. I had a sale fall through on eBay, and need to get the car out of the yard of my old house before it becomes someone else's new house.

Can you give me more info on the Mach 1? My son might be interested.