• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Are reproduction steel hoods any good?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
When I had my HCS media blasted it looks like the hood got warped a bit. It's not terrible, but In the right light you can see slight indentations in all the spots where there isn't structural frame on the underside. Talking to a paint/bodywork guy, he's suggesting getting a new hood instead of using body filler on my original hood, plus he can't guaranty it won't crack down the road.

Does anyone have experience with the repop steel hoods on the market? Looking around I'm seeing Dynacorn and then no-name versions.

I'll start looking of originals, but not holding out a lot of hope.

Last edited:

Ruppstang

We have an original with a bit of damage. But shipping would be$$$ from NE. I recommend dip striping instead of blasting hoods and deck lids.

TexDan

Graham Melville, on Facebook has two with some damage. I have bought from him before. Good to deal with.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Where is he located? I did a search, but didn't find anything.

TexDan

This is on the "1967 and 1968 Swap-Meet Group".

Looks like you would need to join the group to participate. Free.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
We have an original with a bit of damage. But shipping would be$$$ from NE.
Thanks for the offer Marty. Yeah, I think shipping costs would be prohibitive. I checked a few of the mail order Mustang shops and shipping alone is $300-400.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks the the FB marketplace group. I just put in my join request

Ruppstang

My body guy said that he has used a number of the reproduction hood and that they were pretty good.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I joined the FB group and saw the hoods for sale, but they're in ID. Seller won't ship, which is understandable since shipping would be a huge hassle and expensive. But I appreciate the suggestion. I wasn't aware the FB group existed.

My body guy said that he has used a number of the reproduction hood and that they were pretty good.
Thanks Marty. I found a local Dynacorn for a reasonable price, so I'll go look at it this week.