• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Black California Plates

CougarCJ

California Black License Plate Information

This is a cut and paste.

Basically, as I understand the rules - Treated as personalized plates ($45 extra per year), letter sequence must fall within the issuing year for your car, and you must have two plates to register.

Its about time! Calfornia State Assembly Bill # 462 was fully passed October 11, 2007 and will take effect July 1, 2009. It will allow year of manufacture license plates to be utilized on vehicles 1969 and older, or the owner of a commercial vehicle or pickup truck 1972 or older, and increase the fee to $45. The entire text of the amended DMV section law is below. Basically what the amended law does is allow YOM use of the 1963 series, California, steel, black and yellow license plates and the 1970 series, six and seven diget blue and yellow aluminum license plates for commercial vehicles and pickup trucks 1972 or older. This opens up two classic and important California series of license plates to include YOM for rare and important 1960's and early 1970 vehicles. This is absolutely fabulous because AB 462 provides YOM plate use for all the 60's muscle cars Cougar, Mustang, Camaro, and Corvette.

The 1963 series black, steel, plates, has "63" stamped in the upper right hand corner of these plates. This area of the plate was covered by a year sticker in 1964. 1963 series was the last of the California steel license plates. Some of the last, very late, 1969 issues of the 1963 series steel plates were made of aluminum. The 1970 series replacement plates were aluminum, six digit, medium blue and yellow digit configuration, increasing to seven digits in 1972 and was the first time Californians were able to get a personalized, seven digit license plate at extra cost. The most sought after plate at the time was PORSCHE.

The 1963 series six digit, steel plate was configured beginning with three letters followed by three numbers. The 1970 series, aluminum plate was configured beginning with three numbers followed by three letters.

The 1963-69 series plate began alphabetically, with three letters beginning with AAA and ending in 1969 with approximately ZZW. Consequently, you can reasonably estimate the approximate year the plate was issued by the beginning three letters. For example, a plate beginning with D,E, F, G or H would have been isued in 1964. T, U or V would have been issued in 1967. W and X, 1968, Y and Z, 1969 and so on. So now, an entire era of great classic cars can run registered, correct year, original California plates and stickers (if you can find them).

IMPORTANT: DMV is asking (requiring?) that your YOM Black plates be correct year/letter range for your year vehicle. So, make sure your 63-69 Black plates correspond with your year vehicle. My research has shown the 1963-69 year-by-year, letter allocation breakdown has some overlap, but generally plates BEGINNING with the following letters correspond to the year of issue: ABCD= 1963, EFGHI=1964, JKLMN=1965, OPQRS=1966, TUVW=1967, WXYZ=1968-69. .

YOM plate transfer and retention rules appear to remain the same, so you can take the plates with you if you plan to put them on the same year vehicle. I think this is a great change and about time. I am not an expert but tried to get it right as best I know. This needed amendment to the YOM section was cultivated and driven by several dedicated car club members who spent real time going after it in Sacramento.

BILL NUMBER: AB 462 CHAPTERED
BILL TEXT

CHAPTER 497
FILED WITH SECRETARY OF STATE OCTOBER 11, 2007
APPROVED BY GOVERNOR OCTOBER 11, 2007
PASSED THE SENATE AUGUST 30, 2007
PASSED THE ASSEMBLY SEPTEMBER 5, 2007
AMENDED IN SENATE JULY 17, 2007
AMENDED IN SENATE JULY 10, 2007
AMENDED IN SENATE JUNE 20, 2007
AMENDED IN ASSEMBLY JUNE 1, 2007
AMENDED IN ASSEMBLY MARCH 27, 2007

FEBRUARY 20, 2007

An act to amend Section 5004.1 of the Vehicle Code, relating to
vehicles.

CALIF GIRL

My original black plates for my 68 GT/CS which was purchased 03-02-68
Have the letters VUJ

CougarCJ

So do you think that a car built in July 1968 could have a plate starting with UUR?

Doug

Maybe, not sure. Growing up my Mom had a 1967 Impala, the license plate was ULR 716. My old 1967 Mustang fastback was UEC 624.

These plates were issued all over the state, some boxes went faster than others. I would imagine that there could be some locals that would be months ahead or behind the others, based on demand.

p51

CA Black Plates can go on your Mustang as of July 1, 2009

As many of you may/may not know the YOM (Year of Manufacture) law in CA was changed on 07/01/2009 to include the 1962-1969 Black Plates. Just went down to get my Black Plates (ebay purchase) registered. It went off without a hitch. The *minimum* that you need to do this is:

(1) Two Black Plates. The plates have to be clear - no one currently using that tag number. Before going to the DMV (or buying plates) you can call the DMV and check to see if the number is clear (see attached links for details). Of course, they check this at the DMV as well.
(2) The plates currently on the car to turn in to the DMV. At *least* the back plate (if you want to keep the front plate as souvenir, you *may* be able to claim it was lost or that you never had one).
(3) Registration
(4) DMV form 352 filled out. You can find this as an online pdf (see below)
(5) $45

That's all I needed. Things went through smoothly. I've got a temp license with the expectation of receiving my new stickers for my new old black plates in the mail within the next 60 or so days.

Having said all this your experience may differ significantly depending you who you get to process your paperwork. Based on what I've read (see attached links) it might be wise to also take with you the following.

(1) Proof of insurance
(2) 1968 sticker showing that the tag is the correct *year* for your car. In my, case there was a 1969 sticker on the tag over a 1968 sticker. But the person doing my paperwork didnt even seem to notice the sticker at all.
(3) Title
(4) The person doing the paper work may require both existing plates.

The links below offer some more detail and other people's experiences. They are in order of usefulness.

The form to fill out:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg352.htm

Someone's recent experience and advice:
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1129270

Some more advise (this guy actually needed his pink slip as well!?!):
http://www.ply33.com/Misc/yom

Ebay link: How to estimate if a tag is "year accurate" for 1968
http://reviews.ebay.com/Hooray-AB-462-YOM-California-license-plates_W0QQugidZ10000000005181578

Another ebay link with the contents of the YOM bill:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1963-68-California-black-license-plates-pair-DMV-clear_W0QQitemZ320383725629QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090617?IMSfp=TL090617183003r37121

An old (2006) ebay link that might also be useful
http://reviews.ebay.com/DMV-Clear-California-License-Plates-1951-1956-1963-YOM_W0QQugidZ10000000000961771?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:SEARCH:1

For those planning on getting YOM plates, I hope all this helps.

James

miller511

All,

I'm getting interested in pursuing the YOM black and gold California plate program.

Anyone here in CA go through the YOM DMV process lately?

Other links to stories seem to imply that you will need a vintage year sticker as well when going to DMV.

DMV form Reg352 doesn't mention this requirement.

Thanks, Jeff

p51

All,

I'm getting interested in pursuing the YOM black and gold California plate program.

Anyone here in CA go through the YOM DMV process lately?

Other links to stories seem to imply that you will need a vintage year sticker as well when going to DMV.

DMV form Reg352 doesn't mention this requirement.

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,

Per a couple of posts above, its been about a year since I went through this...

After posting the note above regarding my "good" DMV experience above I ended up getting rejected (via mail) for YOM plates because the person taking care of my paperwork had not submitted it correctly - clearly she did not know what she was doing. Anyway, once I got someone who did know what was going on I got the YOM plates registered; albeit, about two months later than I had expected.

Anyway, the main takeaway is that a lot of the DMV folks really don't know how to handle this so the more evidence that you have that the plates are for a 1968 car the better. I'd advise trying to get black plates that start with the correct letter for 1968 (see my previous post). If you get push back you can show them the writeup on plates & starting letters for 1968 cars. Or another method is to buy a sticker off of ebay and stick it on. That might save a lot of hassle for $10 or so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1968-california-license-plate-registration-sticker-/360229426211?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53df58d423

BTW: Before I went in to the DMV the *second* time I took the time to remove a 1969 sticker on the plate to reveal the 1968 sticker below it so I'd have even more evidence that the plate had been registered in 1968... I discovered from my first visit that I don't particularly like spending my leisure time at the DMV :wink:

James

miller511

James,

Thanks for the additional information. This has got to be an infrequent transaction at DMV. And per your advice, bringing as much written/physical proof to the DMV counter will help alleviate any questions.

I will post my experience as I go through the process.

-Jeff

HappyHour

I was talking to a mechanic (in San Francisco) who has a 66 Mustang and a 68 Mustang. He took black plates WITHOUT matching letters for those years bought had the 68 registration stickers affixed and got them approved via DMV. He said they didnt care/ check??!

Obviously not period correct and your results will vary...just interesting discussion with him.

miller511

So, after much research on this issue (but not quite enough), I procured a vintage set of period correct 1968 issued plates.
I made an appointment at my local DMV. I happened to get a DMV worker who was knowledgeable and seemed to understand the YOM program. I brought the plates with the 1968 sticker on the upper right on the rear plate. She ran the plate number to see if they were clear. They did not come back clear. Extremely disappointed, I asked her what the definition of "clear" meant? She said that if the plates came off of a vehicle that is still on the road and registered in California(with new plates) the report will come back as "not clear". The plates are forever tied to the VIN number of the car they came off of. She said that clear plates would have to come off a car that had been totalled or no longer registered in California.

Lessons learned- Whe buying a set of plates, have the seller produce proof that the plates are DMV clear (not sure what qualifies as proof? A DMV printout of a report query the reports back nil?)

To be fair, the seller of the plates, was an older guy from the Central Valley that had a set packed away in his garage. I didn't pay a whole lot for the plates. And he did tell me that his son still owned the '68 Mustang that the plates came off of. Guess I could sell them back to his son. This would be the third way the plates could legally be used.

p51

So, after much research on this issue (but not quite enough), I procured a vintage set of period correct 1968 issued plates.
I made an appointment at my local DMV. I happened to get a DMV worker who was knowledgeable and seemed to understand the YOM program. I brought the plates with the 1968 sticker on the upper right on the rear plate. She ran the plate number to see if they were clear. They did not come back clear. Extremely disappointed, I asked her what the definition of "clear" meant? She said that if the plates came off of a vehicle that is still on the road and registered in California(with new plates) the report will come back as "not clear". The plates are forever tied to the VIN number of the car they came off of. She said that clear plates would have to come off a car that had been totalled or no longer registered in California.

Lessons learned- Whe buying a set of plates, have the seller produce proof that the plates are DMV clear (not sure what qualifies as proof? A DMV printout of a report query the reports back nil?)

To be fair, the seller of the plates, was an older guy from the Central Valley that had a set packed away in his garage. I didn't pay a whole lot for the plates. And he did tell me that his son still owned the '68 Mustang that the plates came off of. Guess I could sell them back to his son. This would be the third way the plates could legally be used.

Jeff

Once you find a set of plates (for example, on ebay) you can call the DMV before buying to check that the plates are clear.

Aside: My understanding is that the plates also have to have not been used for 10yrs for them to be "clear". Thats what someone told me at a car show - so take it for what its worth. Anyway the DMV should be able to check the numbers.

James