• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. New California Black Plates

Cool Manchu

I saw one of California's reissued black plates on a Mustang last week.

Couple of things. It's obvious that it's new. The numbers are narrow and angular, compared to being kind of chubby and rounded for the original. And of course the month tag is completely different.

One nice touch was the 63 stamp is on the plate in the upper right corner.

But you put them side by side and it's very obvious which is which.

I would have taken a picture, but the owner wasn't around and I didn't think he would appreciate some guy doing that and posting it on the Internet. :)

OP
OP
Cool Manchu

Cool Manchu

For me, it's about nostalgia. The plates just "seem" right with the cars. For those of us who grew up in the car culture of California, these are the plates we saw, then it was the blue and yellow plates (which didn't seem as cool, but are starting to grow in popularity) and then the white and blue and then a myriad of others. I think you can get one that allows you to save baby condors who are fighting against tyranny or something...

There are plates before the black and yellow, the one directly before it was transposed yellow with black, and those are ones that most associate with 50s cars.

I am sure they mean something different to someone else, but that's what they mean to me.

sportyworty

The new ones are reflective.
The YOM program allows you to put a set of matching originals on the car.
The plates stay with the cars in California when they are sold. To see a car that is 45 yrs old with Black plates used to mean it had stayed in the state all those years and the state is known for solid limited rust chassis.