• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Detail Question for Original CS cars

P

PNewitt

I need to double check something for the book. On original, unpainted, unrestored GT/CS cars, look in the trunk. Without the cardboard covers, look at the inside of the rear taillamp panel. You'll see those three (ea. side) metal plates with the round dimples in them.

What I need to know is; at the factory, when they cut off the stock taillight "ribs" to install the large black backing plate, is the surface area that was cut--a natural, bare metal surface, or was it painted?

Are the holes for the other (inner) two black backing plates, also natural, bare metal, too? That is, the edges that were cut with the hole saw?

This is similar to the (hole saw) hood lock holes on the underside of the hood, which are natural, bare metal.

thanks to all that looked for me!

Paul N.

miller511

Paul,

My car has the natural, bare metal surface on the cut off ribs and the same bare metal surface on the hole saw holes for the other four lights. There's also still metal "shavings" on the edge that indicate that the hole saw started from the outside of the car and not cut from inside the trunk.
The ribbing cut offs appear to have been "rolled over" a bit toward the outside of the car (maybe to avoid a sharp edge inside the trunk?)

-Jeff

Last edited: