• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Flickering

Joeymiami

Im stumped on this one. All the lights flicker, dash, headlights, parking and brake lights etc.. The alternator was overcharging at 15+. Put in a new alternator and its good there. I have changed the regulator 3 times using a made in US one on the last swap. Still the lights are all flickering. All grounds are good. I read up on this and so far the only thing I havent tried is to change the headlight switch. Anyone else have had this problem? I cant figure it out :rolleyes:

sam

Would love to know. I have the same issue.
I bet Neil can help us here.
Sam

rvrtrash

Did you change the condenser on the regulator when you changed the regulator, and is it well grounded?

Steve

franklinair

First of all: The alternator will only put out the voltage that the Voltage Regulator allows. It should be 13.2 volts. A higher voltage is a faulty Voltage Regulator, not the Alternator, and you could over charge the Battery.

Second: What type replacement VR did you get? I ONLY buy the solid state type (NPD# 10316-1) About $40. If you want to maintain the original appearance you can replace the cover. (West Coast Classic Cougar sells them if you don't have the original style/color.)

Third: One of our members had a similar problem. He found a wire at the Brake Light Switch was intermittently shorting to adjacent metal structure, causing all the lights to flicker.
And as Steve mentioned- the capacitor connected to the V/R. (It acts as an 'electrical cushion'.)

Hope this helps.

Neil

66hcs-conv

If the solid state Voltage Regulator is used, is it necessary to use the condenser/capacitor?

If it is necessary to use the condenser, where can I get one? Virginia Mustang has them for - I think it was $26 :eek:. Can't find them on the online NPD web site.

Thanks, Dave

CougarCJ

Do you have the engine ground strap on the back of your block connected to the firewall?

66hcs-conv

Do you have the engine ground strap on the back of your block connected to the firewall?

Hope I am not hijacking Joeymiami's thread here.

Yes I do have the ground strap from back of the engine to firewall

Being anal about grounding, I've added a ground strap from the right fender apron (where the starter solenoid is mounted) to the engine block, using the same grounding point that the battery negative is connected to.

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joeymiami

Not hijacking at all. Any info is helpful.... I just received a NOS headlight switch from NPD. Dated 11/64 Im going to try that to see what happens.....