• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Found another CS on ebay(nice one)

Sherri P.

Hello to All,

I've been enjoying your website and forum for a couple of months now, and finally have the nerve to reply.
I'm currently in the market for a classic mustang. I've looked at Doug Hollands' california special and that's when I got hooked. Although a very nice car, my heart yearns for a little more power. What is the opinion of this car on ebay?? I appreciate any help or comments.

Thank you, Sherri

wallace

Hello,

Just wondering if anybody has an idea what this J code CS would be worth? Sounds like a nice car. There is some patch work to the front and rear of the quarters. Also, there is a small rust hole in the driver's floor. The other rust is mentioned in the listing.

Also, how often does a CS with a big block come up for sale and what are they going for?

I'm new to the site and just learning about CS. Hope to get up to par soon by reading your forum. It's a great and informative site!

Thanks, Wallace

BrandonB

I personaly think it looks great yes there are minor spots here and there, but its 30+ years old. I spent about 13,000 for mine and its only a 289 and 302 4v is nice. my advice is to ignore me and wait for the more intelligent people :p

63alf

[quote author=1 GT/CS link=board=3;threadid=819;start=0#msg4561 date=1077654803]
the guy is the second owner and has had the car for 20 yrs, now that what i call loyolity,[/quote]

20 years? A mere drop in the bucket. As of next year I will have owned mine for 30 years: It was the first
car I ever bought when I turned 16 in 1975! Boy do I feel old now :p

Anyway, my 390 2V should be coming back from the engine rebuilder THIS WEEK! New pistons, new crank,
new pushrods, new valve guides to deal with unleaded gas and lowered compression to deal with the octane of the
pump gas we get in California (91 max in my neck of the woods). As the engine goes back in, we will be
replacing the entire exhaust system and going through the entire brake system. Then new tires (the current
ones have low mileage, but have sat around for the last 15-17 years), repair the leak from my differential and
off to the paint shop.

Can't wait to have her back for the Spring. It has been a long time since she has been out of the garage for
any extended period, and I'm sure that she will appreciate being back onto the road. I still cannot believe
all of the looks that a 37 year old car gets. When I was following the flat-bed tow truck taking the CS from my house to the
shop, heads were turning from all directions. And I don't even have the stripe kit currently on!

Anyway, good luck to anyone who is going after the one now on eBay. I have fortunately purchased several
vehicles off of eBay, and they have all turned out to be as good or better then I thought they would be.
I did, however, have the opportunity to check them out personally before the auction concluded, and
would recommend this to anyone who is contemplating such a purchase.

Tom

Calspecialdreamer

Wallace,

I have been looking for 2 years for a J code CS and have found they fetch about 3K- 4K more than a similar 289 C code engine.
Personally, I wouldn't go over 11K for this car. Minor rust, A/C needs lots of work, heater core replacement, been in a wreck, overheats.........lots more money needs to be put into it, UNLESS you can do the work yourself, that would not be too bad!
On the other hand it is a fine looking automobile! I would buy it for 11K and slowly fix everything that needed work. A/C and a J code adds alot to the price whether they work or not!

ford man chris

Im in Decatur,IL , week and half ago Just bought a 1 of 138 Very Original Seafoam Green 68 Cali Special out of a warehouse, Love these cars and i already have restored 1 cali and 1 HCS already. Im going to restore it as it was even though not color of choice but it will be clean and Sharp. I already have it stripped down and the paint is stripped off already and Very Straight 95% rust free car.

stangfan

Im in Decatur,IL , week and half ago Just bought a 1 of 138 Very Original Seafoam Green 68 Cali Special out of a warehouse, Love these cars and i already have restored 1 cali and 1 HCS already. Im going to restore it as it was even though not color of choice but it will be clean and Sharp. I already have it stripped down and the paint is stripped off already and Very Straight 95% rust free car.
I kinda like the Seafoam Green even though I am a very Candy Apple Red guy.

ford man chris

Here is what it looks like now, very straight bondo free body.

Attachments

• 68 cali special 1.msg.jpeg
    68 cali special 1.msg.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 18