• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How many CS/GTs left "on the road?"

I saw that over 900 cars are listed in the various published registries, is that how many cars we can consider of the 4100+ CS/GTs produced that are still "alive?" My husband and I were discussing this today and I thought I read somewhere that there are many fewer left (like 250-300).

TIA!

68sunlitgold

Deadstang,
There are around 900 in the registry (that may go up with new "finds" that come out in the next registry), but as statistics show cars over 30 years old there is usually around 50% still remaining. Now that means in any conditions, from concourse to hunks of metal in a junk yard. The other 50% is beleived to have been destroyed through crashes or junk yards. As for the number actually on the road, if you go with what is in the registry it would be around 900 but remember that is only those that are known about. I have been working on purchasing a car that has been sitting for over 15 years and the owner does not know anything about the car. So they are still out there! ;)
I don't know if that answers your question but I do know that there are over 300 on the road. You may have read about the HCS, there where only 250 made in 68 and I would assume that the number still on the road is around 150.
Doug

hcsstang

I'm one of the lucky, I have a 68 HCS with a J code 302V4 motor.I live on the east coast and I know of at least 6 California Specials here.