• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 How to hide a modern stereo?

Cool Manchu

I am hoping to get some insight and advice from people who have upgraded their stereo system.

I am considering upgrading the sound system in the GT/CS from the standard AM radio. While I want to keep the AM intact and working, I am looking for ideas on how to hide a modern stereo system.

I have the center console, so I am wondering if something could be fit inside the storage area. Has anyone done this? Or is it too narrow? I have seen others put them in glove boxes, but I don't want to drill a hole if I can help it.

For the speakers, I am wondering if I can get the runners for the doors that have the speaker grilles in them and then hide them behind those. If so, what size speaker do you suggest?

Lastly, is there anyway to get speakers in the back area of the car? Nothing too big, maybe ones hidden under the fabric of the back panel? Like some 6x9s?

Thank you in advance for your insights! Oh and if you have any pictures you can share that show how you did it, I would love that.

p51

My car came with an AM/FM radio. The previous owner had installed speakers in the kick panels and in the shelf behind the back seat - so, in my case, the car already had a pretty good stereo setup. To upgrade it further to add the ability to play mp3s (8 years back!) I did the following...

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3795

Note that this requires an FM receiver so if you only have an AM system it might be worth getting a new "Ford mustang retro" AM/FM receiver with an input jack for an mp3 player. For example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGDlU-2S16E

James

OP
OP
Cool Manchu

Cool Manchu

Cool68, let me know how it goes for you. The stereo is down the road for me. I am worried about it being fully roadworthy first.

Northern Pony

Under the back window tray you will find the metal is alread cut out for speakers and screws.
I mounted my peakers on the trunk side of the metal surface. The hard board was drilled with holes, to allow sound through. I then went to a fabric store and got fabric that was an exact match, color and texture of the hard board tray and glued in over top. This way you could only see the speakers from inside the trunk. Looking at the back tray you would not know i had speakers. I looked at the consul as well, but you will not get CD's in there. If you get a stereo that accepts an I pod you could play your music through that, then just disconnect I pod for shows. I removed tha card board liner for glove box, and mounted a CD player in there. We travelled with this car and definitely needed some tunes. My car was judged Concours Driven, and no points deducted for CD player and speakers. Judge cannot open your glove compartment.
BoB

whodat

www.rediscoverradio.com is a option.
I use it. I have 2- 6X9 speakers in boxes behind the front seats that can be removed. I also have kick panel speakers. I have a old Orion amp under the rear seat. I swear the amp is over 22 years old and it still works.