• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Lucas Fog Lights

harryz

Aloha. It's been many years since I've visited the site, so I'm sure all of you think I'm a noob here. Sorry for the long silence, life gets in the way of fun.

Anyhow... I have two GT/CS's - one is almost road worthy after an engine rebuild (plus many other things along the way), and one is a complete rust bucket that I call the Rustang. I'm getting close to getting rid of the Rustang, and am starting to harvest small parts that are unique to the CS. I took the fog lights off, and much to my surprise, they are Lucas lights! Model FT/LR8. I think these are the correct ones for a CS. Can anyone verify this?

Also, to my surprise, once I removed these pedestal mount Lucas lights, I found the grille mount brackets attached to the radiator support. Are these considered 'rare' nowadays? Or is someone reproducing them?

My lights are in somewhat rough condition. Are there repair parts available? Specifically, the bolt that comes up through the grill surround and screws into the bottom of the light. The wiring is also not in real good shape. Is there a source for these parts.

Please see attached photos. If you want more photos, just let me know.

Mahalo, Harry Z

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Grille Mount bracket.jpg
    Grille Mount bracket.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Model number.jpg
    Model number.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 30

Mosesatm

Delta Bay Mustang makes the brackets. I think they are around $100 for a pair. Will the chrome fog light housings polish up or are they pitted too badly?

speedy02

Ricky Knapik

Aloha. It's been many years since I've visited the site, so I'm sure all of you think I'm a noob here. Sorry for the long silence, life gets in the way of fun.

Anyhow... I have two GT/CS's - one is almost road worthy after an engine rebuild (plus many other things along the way), and one is a complete rust bucket that I call the Rustang. I'm getting close to getting rid of the Rustang, and am starting to harvest small parts that are unique to the CS. I took the fog lights off, and much to my surprise, they are Lucas lights! Model FT/LR8. I think these are the correct ones for a CS. Can anyone verify this?

Also, to my surprise, once I removed these pedestal mount Lucas lights, I found the grille mount brackets attached to the radiator support. Are these considered 'rare' nowadays? Or is someone reproducing them?

My lights are in somewhat rough condition. Are there repair parts available? Specifically, the bolt that comes up through the grill surround and screws into the bottom of the light. The wiring is also not in real good shape. Is there a source for these parts.

Please see attached photos. If you want more photos, just let me know.

Mahalo, Harry Z
What type of parts will you be selling? How about the side scoops?

OP
OP
H

harryz

What type of parts will you be selling? How about the side scoops?

Aloha @Ricky Knapik The side scoops on both of my CS's are poor quality reproductions. Would love to find something better, but I'm guessing they're made out of unobtanium nowadays?

I definitely will sell the "floating" brackets for the fog lights. I need to get them blasted and painted, or maybe sell them as-is.

Harry Z

OP
OP
H

harryz

Delta Bay Mustang makes the brackets. I think they are around $100 for a pair. Will the chrome fog light housings polish up or are they pitted too badly?

Aloha @Mosesatm I just took a look at the Delta Bay Mustang Maverick website, and don't see the brackets. I haven't polished up the light housings, but I'm pretty sure they will still be pitted after polishing. That's OK for me, my car is no a beauty queen.

Mahalo, Harry Z

OP
OP
H

harryz

I am unable to see the color of the boot you have on the wiring but I am guessing a small black seal. Either way both sets of wiring are available. But you will need to hold on to the adapter on your original wiring shown in your picture #2.

1. https://www.npdlink.com/product/wire-loom-lucas-fog-light-early-style/208045?backurl=search/products?search_terms=lucas&top_parent=200001&year=

2. https://www.npdlink.com/product/wire-loom-lucas-fog-light-very-late-style/208046?backurl=search/products?search_terms=lucas&top_parent=200001&year=

Aloha @speedy02 Can you please clarify which adapter you're referring to? And what if my lights are in between the 'early' and 'very late' harnesses?

Mahalo, Harry Z

rvrtrash

Hey Harry! I remember you. We hung out and went out to dinner when the wife and I visited Hawaii. That was 18 years ago.

Steve

speedy02

Aloha @speedy02 Can you please clarify which adapter you're referring to? And what if my lights are in between the 'early' and 'very late' harnesses?

Mahalo, Harry Z
1725057138805.png

The adapter is on the ground to allow it to connect to the car harness. This was only on the Lucas Lights the Marchal lights grounded to the light housing and bracket internally.

speedy02

Early had the little black grommet and service replacements had the large gray as shown below.
1725057161212.png

OP
OP
H

harryz

Hey Harry! I remember you. We hung out and went out to dinner when the wife and I visited Hawaii. That was 18 years ago.

Steve

Aloha @rvrtrash (Steve)!

Yes, I remember that! Hope you folks are doing OK. My CS sat for 14 years. Got it on the road in June 2023, but it kept overheating. We tried all sorts of flushes and other remedies, but eventually ended up pulling the heads and found that the machinist had botched the install of the cylinder sleeves. Did not leave a lip at the bottom of the cylinder for the sleeve to sit on, so three of them had slipped. So, I ended up getting another '68 engine, this one was a 302. Spent the first part of this year rebuilding it, and taking care of a myriad of things on the car. Just got it running a few weeks ago, and now it's road-worthy. Still lots of little things to attend to, but at least I can drive it!

Take care, Harry Z

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

harryz

View attachment 57186
The adapter is on the ground to allow it to connect to the car harness. This was only on the Lucas Lights the Marchal lights grounded to the light housing and bracket internally.

Aloha @speedy02 It's really hard to see in this tiny picture, but I think you're wanting me to notice the thick connector on the wiring for the Lucas light. Unfortunately, I am unable to separate this connector, I'm assuming the two parts are rusted together. Does the replacement harness have an equivalent connector? Again, I don't care about originality, just want it to function.

Mahalo, Harry Z

Ricky Knapik

Aloha @Ricky Knapik The side scoops on both of my CS's are poor quality reproductions. Would love to find something better, but I'm guessing they're made out of unobtanium nowadays?

I definitely will sell the "floating" brackets for the fog lights. I need to get them blasted and painted, or maybe sell them as-is.

Harry Z
Oh you can find them, but better bring 2 credit cards!

speedy02

Aloha @speedy02 It's really hard to see in this tiny picture, but I think you're wanting me to notice the thick connector on the wiring for the Lucas light. Unfortunately, I am unable to separate this connector, I'm assuming the two parts are rusted together. Does the replacement harness have an equivalent connector? Again, I don't care about originality, just want it to function.

Mahalo, Harry Z