• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 sequential LED taillights

L8GR868

Hello,
Its been a while since I have been on the site and I recently purchased a CS. (I have had one several years ago). My question is, I want to install LED sequential tail lights. And replace with the head lights with LED that look original. No halo or anything like that. Any help is much appreciated.
Eric

speedy02

To do the LED Sequential tail lights you will have to replace your flashers (Car has two). I believe the CJ Pony kit has the lower flasher built into it. So would have to replace the one behind the cluster. My Car had the sequential LED installed but my front signals were a lot slower with the system in place. Sequential wasn't important to me so I removed it and now they are in sync. The three lights in the rear have to cycle before the front and hood blink again.

As far as LED Headlights. I have yet to buy but I am looking at banginheadlights. They are a direct replacement and no ugly driver box that you have to tuck into the fenders. Also, They have glass lens were as most I have seen have a plastic lens.

Which CS did you buy? Since most of us are going into Winter are there any other projects besides LED's that you are looking to do?

franklinair

What is the advantage of the LED headlights: improved nighttime visibility? current draw (more or less)? cost?
For tail lights, brake lights, and turn signal lights, I prefer the Plasma LEDs from West Coast Classic Cougar (which
will also require the solid-state type of Flashers).
I don't care for the sequential tail lights, as they are not correct for the GT/CS models (only Shelby's).

Neil

OP
OP
L8GR868

L8GR868

To do the LED Sequential tail lights you will have to replace your flashers (Car has two). I believe the CJ Pony kit has the lower flasher built into it. So would have to replace the one behind the cluster. My Car had the sequential LED installed but my front signals were a lot slower with the system in place. Sequential wasn't important to me so I removed it and now they are in sync. The three lights in the rear have to cycle before the front and hood blink again.

As far as LED Headlights. I have yet to buy but I am looking at banginheadlights. They are a direct replacement and no ugly driver box that you have to tuck into the fenders. Also, They have glass lens were as most I have seen have a plastic lens.

Which CS did you buy? Since most of us are going into Winter are there any other projects besides LED's that you are looking to do?
yes Eric

OP
OP
L8GR868

L8GR868

On my other CS I installed LED sequential turn signals, I cant remember where I bought them but its been about 12 years ago. They are much brighter the incandescent bulbs and can easily be seen when the sun is shining on the lenses. I recently replaced the incandescent headlight bulbs on my jeep, they make a big difference and hardly pull any power which is easier on the alternator and the old wiring. I bought the car from a friend in Arkansas. Ill clean the engine compartment. Its a 289 that has a 4 barrel on it. factory AC, power steering, power disc brakes, center console. vinyl top. I post some pictures soon.

OP
OP
L8GR868

L8GR868

Hello,
Its been a while since I have been on the site and I recently purchased a CS. (I have had one several years ago). My question is, I want to install LED sequential tail lights. And replace with the head lights with LED that look original. No halo or anything like that. Any help is much appreciated.
Eric

Attachments

• IMG_1092.jpeg
    IMG_1092.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4205.jpeg
    IMG_4205.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4012.jpeg
    IMG_4012.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 27

speedy02

I see you bought that from Jeff. If I remember correctly this was a one owner family car that was originally bought in the Kansas City area. I do not believe the car is in the current registry or accounted for.

Ruppstang

Good for you! When I looked at the car, I thought it was really a solid driver! Eric. You are back in the game. We are glad to have you back here too.

Marty

DLedin

whodat

MP Custom LED Lighting is what I used. I have the one that you can have sequential or normal. It has a toggle switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

C Dub's CS

CJ Pony has a kit for $350.....I didn't want to spend that much for sequential taillights, so I made my own circuit with parts from ebay and amazon. It cost me less than $100 and works perfectly. I used 4 time delay relays (2per side) and replaced both flasher relays, so I could install LED's. The same sequential kit could be put together for less that $20 using the incandescent bulbs and stock flashers. The method that i used did require rewiring the factory taillight harness.
Let me know if you would like more info

Attachments

• Taillight1.jpg
    Taillight1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Taillight2.jpg
    Taillight2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 14
  • Taillight3.jpg
    Taillight3.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Taillight4.jpg
    Taillight4.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 14

Mosesatm

Scott,
Do you run across the old Cougar turn signal motors, or are they pretty well all worn out or scavenged?
When did they switch to electronic?

CougarCJ

Scott,
Do you run across the old Cougar turn signal motors, or are they pretty well all worn out or scavenged?
When did they switch to electronic?
The 1967-68 sequential motors are mechanical with points that wear out. We do have some used ones that still work, but they are pretty noisy, located in the trunk helps muffle the sound.
Starting in 1969 Ford had a 'solid' state version. Vic Yarberry, of Cougars Unlimited, has brought that system into the 21st century. He has conversions specifically for LED bulbs.