• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Ready, set...almost...

aemoo28

Fingers are crossed. It's 1532 Seattle time, and we are installing the rail covers, adding H2O to the radiator, oil.

Then comes the moment of truth. I'm writing from my corner table in the garage with Mike & Dick patiently waiting for me to bring the keys out of my pocket. "Wait." I said, "I have to write a quick note to my forum friends."

I will leave my chair, hold my breath, sit one more time in the driver's seat, and...

...to be continued.

OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

Well. There were two setbacks.

I somehow mis-set up the thermometer gasket thing, and when we poured water into the radiator, it leaked out all over the engine.

Then, the scary thing- we manually started it, and the gas shot out, leaked out, from all sides of the carborator. It was really scary how that gas shot out all over the engine like that. I need some "acceleration pump" thing, and another carb rebuild.
Got a guy working on that right now, and we fixed the thermo gasket issue.

SO maybe next week... to be continued...

Midnight Special

...Take your time....Be careful....Don't rush....Have fire supression handy no matter what... Most of us know the excitement of "lighting it off" Amy, but dang... Be thorough, deliberate and above all - patient.

Perkchiro

I agree with Tim. Take your time and use caution. I remember when I first started my rebuilt engine.....sweaty palms, eyes dilated and adrenaline pumping. I had a vacuum leak and had to order additional parts. Patience. . . . .good things come to those who wait. :)

OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

Yes, okay...
And there is ALWAYS something else that needs to be fine tuned. I'm learning to be patient. It's just difficult, you know!

I'm thankful for this opportunity in a big way. My club friends have dedicated many hours to her revival, and I am thankful. This learning experience has been the best!

"Life is good when you can be distracted by Mustangs." Says Mike.

OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

Whoo hooo yay hoooooray whooooo hooooooooo!

I was keeping it sorta quiet in case the car had a different motive for tonight. Three wonderful men were here tonight tuning, timing, readjusting spark things, more timing, (that sounds a little off, turn it, tighten it half...)(And Ron, those impressive porcelain spark plugs, thank you.)

BOY the things she spewed out the tailpipes! Jumped outta the way just in time!

Hear her roar! Can ya here her? Louder you say? The neighbors crowded in from across the alley, and across the street, to see where all the air pollution and noise where coming from.

I'm so excited!

robert campbell

Amy,
CONCRATS!! Wish I lived closer. Sounds like you had some wonderful help. You have a great story for the future that will make you laugh over the years.

Or when someone starts in about how hard it was to get their car home.... You have been to that rodeo allready!!

Rob

OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

Durn! It seems I need a new thermometer gage thing so the car will not overheat.

So the torture begins... having a running car but told "no no" and promising not to run it until this vital piece is applied in two days.

BTW I'm having a super great time finding answers to most of the mechanical problems I'm running in to. I can't say enough thanks to this forum.

robert campbell

Sounds like you have one already. I have some used factory temp gages you can have for free. Plus the sending unit.

If you run into any trouble....

Rob

OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

The car has the last laugh!

Hmm. Went out this morning to the garage full of spirit.

Opened the car door to put the floor mats back in, and this is how I found things...

Keep in mind everything this car has done to veer us off track and NOT RUN! Keep in mind the very first time I drove this car, the mirror had to be duck taped and ribboned in place until we got to PMN, who glued it back onto the window. Now, 6 months later, it falls off again. WELL I'm gonna drive it anyway! Take THAT, Satan!

Paul, I hope this brings a smile to your face.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8375&stc=1&d=1236458292

Attachments

• putting her back together 009.jpg
    putting her back together 009.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 50

rvrtrash

To quote one of my favorite movies "What's behind you, doesn't matter".

Steve

OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

I love my car!

Oh you guys! I love my car!

Took her out for her first drive as a new and improved NonSatan, and she purred like a kitten. She's so quiet when I'm sitting at idle at the stoplight, then hit the gas and bluhbluhbluuuuurumblerumble she roars to life!

Big bad black beauty in Ballard!

I had so much fun today driving her around, I hated to put her back into the garage! I don't dare let her sit outside over night, no way. Every single person who asked me about her had never seen a '68 Special before. It's not easy if one is in a hurry to get some where, but me- I'm so proud of this car and the people who've helped me get her going again and again!!

All the lights work in and out except for driver's tail light has the middle bulb out. The connection for this socket is bad. OH, and the mirror... that dumb thing is still in the glovebox.

I LOVE MY SPECIAL!!

mechanicalguy48

So glad to hear you got that beast running. Now I have still got to cut out one more rusted patch in the drivers side quarter panel ,,,repair/repaint it and then take off those headers someone put on. I had to repaint the passenger side quarter panel four times before I got the right paint and combination. That Sunlit gold is hard to match. I will be done (with phase 1 anyway) by Port Angeles Show so see you there.