• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Photo Your Winter Fun

robert campbell

So what is your winter project? New seats? Engine build? Basic cleaning? Take a pic and post!! Rob is havin so much fun in new garage. Carb work, some valve stem seals, and lowering some local cars. Two 1968 Mustangs and a 1963 Falcon. All run alot better now!!

Rob is tackling the Webers on Val's 1967 Mustang. They have got a bit ragged after being on her car for nearly 20 years.

Carbs off!!

DSCN9473.jpg

RUH ROH!!! Does tab A go in slot B???

DSCN9475.jpg

Actually they are pretty simple. More parts in a Holley than one of these. Although there are with 4 of them!!

Rob

Ruppstang

Wow Rob you have been having some fun. It is good to be busy especialy doing something you love doing. All will be well with the carbs if there are no parts left over. I hate it when you find that piece that went in on step #2
I am getting close to that first start up on the HCS 289 and also putting the new covers on the seats. I'll get some pics soon.
Merry Christmas hope there are car parts under your tree. Marty

franklinair

I'll be toasty warm as I finish up my CS this winter. Just had a 40' long infra-red radiant gas heater installed in my work hangar. :))

Neil

franklinair

GOOD GRIEF!! What's all that white stuff? I spent some time @ Boeing in SEA, Jan, Feb, Mar one year, and never saw that. Just cold & rain.

Neil

joedls

Just bought this for my 347 stroker. Should be here tomorrow. I'm thinking of going with a hydraulic roller cam from Comp Cams part # 35-775-8 with 236/248 duration @.050, 579 lift, and 114 LSA. What do you think about that cam, Rob? And do you do head port work on aluminum heads?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Joe,
GREAT BUY JOE!!!

No port work by Rob. In the cam area, less seems to be more when you run a blower. Let me do a bit of research. Not that I am an expert! Hydraulic rollers are normally 6k RPM sticks. Although that is all a blower motor may want!! I have a Crane hydraulic roller in mine. Done at 6k, but smaller pulley is gives me 12 pounds boost at that RPM.

Snow performance water methanol injection?

Rob

miller511

Joe,

Looks like a whole bunch of fun. Will you be able to fit that supercharger under a stock hood? Your current blower required clearancing the hood, correct?

-Jeff

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

The current cam has 222/232 duration @ .050, .510/.534 lift, and 114 LSA.

Joe,
My cam is a an "early" Crane hydraulic roller as I said. I built this motor back in the 1990's but with all the stuff that I thought a blower would need such as rods and pistons ect.

My cam is 212/220 @ .050, 520/542 lift, 112 LSA. One of the first retrofit rollers for a 302 Ford. 2,000 to 5,500 RPM. This cam grind is a brute low end and mid-range cam. In my limited experience (Paxtons) blowers, and especially positive displacement blowers, work best on cams that match the quick air delivery at low RPM. Now this is in high performance street usage, not full on racing.

My cam seems to work really great! No dyno figures for you. Your duration looking at a cross section of grinds may put the max HP figure in the 6,500 RPM range. And it is a bit more mid range and high end than my cam. But who knows what would work better?

I will look more, but even the Weiand manual that comes with the blower recommends a “mild” camshaft. Sometimes even close to stock grinds!!

I am no expert in this field. Some real world experience only. And not all that much of that!

Rob

joedls

Joe,

Looks like a whole bunch of fun. Will you be able to fit that supercharger under a stock hood? Your current blower required clearancing the hood, correct?

-Jeff

I have a repro 68 CJ scoop I'll use.

Joe may already have these. I have a pair on my car!!

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com...e=rmp&Product_Code=6110&Category_Code=Hot_New

I saw the 1/2 drop ones too late. I went to a Mustangs Plus Ramjet cowl hood on my car to cover the blower. Joe had a 1969 scoop on a flat hood if I remember.

Rob

I had these before and plan on using them with the 1/2" drop this time. Just haven't gotten them yet.

Joe,
My cam is a an "early" Crane hydraulic roller as I said. I built this motor back in the 1990's but with all the stuff that I thought a blower would need such as rods and pistons ect.

My cam is 212/220 @ .050, 520/542 lift, 112 LSA. One of the first retrofit rollers for a 302 Ford. 2,000 to 5,500 RPM. This cam grind is a brute low end and mid-range cam. In my limited experience (Paxtons) blowers, and especially positive displacement blowers, work best on cams that match the quick air delivery at low RPM. Now this is in high performance street usage, not full on racing.

My cam seems to work really great! No dyno figures for you. Your duration looking at a cross section of grinds may put the max HP figure in the 6,500 RPM range. And it is a bit more mid range and high end than my cam. But who knows what would work better?

I will look more, but even the Weiand manual that comes with the blower recommends a “mild” camshaft. Sometimes even close to stock grinds!!

I am no expert in this field. Some real world experience only. And not all that much of that!

Rob

I'll do some more research. Remember, though, the 347 can use a little more cam than the 302 because of the additional displacement. The cam that's on there is very mild and I could never get it up to 6K because the tranny wouldn't hold it without shifting into the next gear. It would shift ~5500 RPM. I'll be getting a different AOD, probably with a manual valve body this time around. I think the cam I was asking about is good from 2600 - 6300 RPM. I had a 2800 RPM stall converter built for the car right before I crashed it that I have never used. I think it should work well with that cam.

Just got the blower delivered today.

IMG_20111216_133526.jpg

Last edited:

joedls

The other thing I'll be getting done this winter is installing a forged Boss 5.0 shortblock in my 07 GT/CS.

Boss iron block
All arp hardware
Manley forged flat top pistons
FRPP oil pump w/ billet gears
Forged Manley H-beam rods
Forged cobra crank
Federal mogul rod and main bearings

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

Last edited:

joedls

Will you adopt me!! Tim and Neil didn't.... Agree with your thoughts on the cam.

Rob

Rob, you're old enough to be my Dad. How the hell am I gonna adopt you?

When I was inspecting the manifold for the blower I noticed that some material had been added and it appeared that the ports had been enlarged. I called the seller and he explained that he had Weiand enlarge the ports because they were too small for his outlaw 225 cc runner heads. My heads are only 195 cc, so this manifold should work very well with what I have.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Joe,
The manifold enlargement isn't going to create a “step” into the head runner I hope? I am sure you know you will need to blend that, or gee, maybe that is why you asked me about porting heads....

Did some more thinking about your cam Below is the blurb from the Weiand instructions that come with the kit. Notice the lobe centerline is identical to your cam

CAMSHAFTS
High overlap camshafts are actually detrimental to a supercharged street engine’s performance. The longer the exhaust and
intake are open at the same time, the more usable air/fuel mixture is blown out the tailpipe. We have found that a cam with a
114º lobe centerline works best on a street driven vehicle. When choosing a cam profile to work well with a blower, moderate lift
and duration are desirable, but excessive overlap is undesirable. Cams generally produce additional power only at higher engine
speeds usually above 4,500 rpm. If higher engine speed performance is not desired, a stock cam is actually better than a
modified cam.

Sounds like another potent ford coming together!! I put a smaller pulley on mine and upped the boost to 12 PSI at 6,000. Getting on the ragged edge. When I tromp it, it sounds like “zipper” ripping”. 1st gear last all of a couple seconds if it hooks!! WAY FUN!!!

Rob

joedls

Got some pics of the work that's been done.

P1020882.jpg

P1020881.jpg

P1020880.jpg

P1020879.jpg

Also, Rob will appreciate this. I'm making the radiator support a bolt-on piece to facilitate engine swaps, cam swaps, etc..

dalorzo_f

Got this...

DSCF8307.jpg

Going to make it look like this....

52784-500-0.jpg

Which is more than a winter project, but its going to keep me busy through our next winter or two...