• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

289 to a 347?

AADaddy

Hello all,

Plugging away at getting my GT/CS to get it road worthy still. I hope to have it back on the road by September. Looking ahead to this winter I am planning on rebuilding the engine. I'd like to take the 289 C code to a 347 stroker. My intent would be to build it to handle a Super Charger down the road. Any advice from those of you who have been down this road? Just like with my 2007 GT there are a million options out there for parts! So I'm trying to decide which way to go.

OP
OP
A

AADaddy

Yikes! Well I can honestly say I won't be drag racing the car and adding NOS. Just doing a lot of burnouts and acting juvenile at all chances! Don't drag race either. I'll probalby track race my car in the long run.

Bumblebee

Do what I did, buy a really reputable crate engine from someone like Roush and put the original motor in the crate packaging so you can restore it in future. Saves a heap of frustration, swearing, unexpected cost and disappointment. I've done 30,000 miles on my Roush (in my 66 convertible) and it's never missed a beat. Also, and unlike some crates, it delivered every inch of power they advertise and has a 12,000 mile warranty. Check out their web site under "engines".

Good luck!

Cheers Bee

OP
OP
A

AADaddy

Not a bad thought. But I really want to use the original engine. My other thought was to build it to a 289 K-Code spec. Sounds like it would be fairly easy to do.

x-codegtcs

I am not sure that the skirts are long enough for a 347. I talked to a couple of machine shops and they really recommended the 302 block to stroke to the 347. If yours is a 68 289 it is highly likely it is a 302 block as they started building 289's with C8OE castings in mid 67.

OP
OP
A

AADaddy

I've talked to several engine builders in the area about the skirt length and from what I understand they are exactly the same. If there is a difference it is nominal at best where it doesn't make a difference. I've also read in several places that the 302 and 289 block are the same in 68. Not sure about other years. My other thought is to build the engine to a 289 HIPO spec.

di81977

I went with a 351W in my HCS stroked to 393. Cubic inches help! I know you want to keep your engine, but a 351W goes in easily and still gives you lots of room for things like changing spark plugs.

If you are going to make the type of power you will make with a super charger, you need to think about your 8" rear end and C4 tranny. They both can handle good HP, but you need to make sure they are up to the challenge.

Another important part to consider are sub-frame connectors. With significant power, these unibody frames can twist.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

robert campbell

289 and 302 have the same bore and deck height. 8.206. 302 had a different stroke. Either block can be a 347. Early 347 stroker motors suffered from the wrist pin intersecting into the oil ring area of the pistons. They would use oil after a bit. A new generation of special pistons has solved that issue. Ensure you get the newer stuff and don't buy off flea bay.

You need a steel crank and upgraded connecting rods to handle a supercharger. You will also need extreme duty head gaskets like the ones from Cometic. Upgrade to a performance harmonic balancer is a must.

If you build a 347 stroker you need to think about the compression ratio. I have a Weiand Supercharger on a 302 with 10 to 1 compression. I am running 12 pounds of boost at 6,000 RPM. It is stupid fast. Another thing to consider is water methanol injection. I got one from Snow Performance. I am running 18 degrees initial advance with 38 degrees total at 3,000 RPM. Mallory E-Series Distributor. I run 92 octane all day with no pinging. Steel crank, Crower sportsman rods. Hydraulic roller cam done at 6,000 RPM

I had a Paxton back in the day, but the Weiand roots style is way superior in throttle response. Instantaneous is the only word to describe it.

On the camshaft you do not want a radical cam with a lot of overlap. The supercharger will just blow the gas through the motor a low RPM during the overlap period when both valves are open at the same time.

You can get a crate motor with a small cam. I would suggest you specify what you want to do from the start to a good engine builder such as DSS Racing. Have the motor purpose built for the power adder of your choice or you will do lots of changing later.

K-Code performance is really nothing more than a solid camshaft. The K heads had the same valves and ports. All they had was a better valve spring, spring pockets and screw in studs. Better rods and select crank. And a bit better exhaust manifold. You could exceed it performance with the same cam, some aluminum heads (huge benefit), and a set of shorty or better yet long tube headers. For that mild an engine you can run the stock rods and pistons.

Picture below is before water methanol injection.

Sub frame connectors and Caltrac Bars

Stan Johnson long tube headers. Look at the ground clearance! These are on Val's Fastback. Got the same on the blower motor.

Call me at (360) 377-5164. Before 8:00 p.m. (old guy). I love to spend other peoples money!!

How about this!!

OP
OP
A

AADaddy

Now that's the post I'm looking for!!! I literally stood up and clapped for you after reading this. Ha! Thanks for the great info.

robert campbell

Maier Racing Sub-Frame connectors. I think they are the best on the market. They grab the frame in two places forward and two places aft. Most others just have one connection point on each end.

A pair will go on my wife's 1967 Fastback with the Weber's on it next winter! Her car has an early 5 bolt 1964 "K" block, crank, and rods. 12.5 Forged pop ups with head/block decking and thin crush on the head gasket to bring it to 13 to 1 nominal compression ration. ARP bolts throughout with a Weber specific solid roller cam and the chip in the MSD 6AL set for 7,500 rpm. In first gear (top loader crash box and 4.11 gears, 9 inch, with 31 spline axles) it will hit the rev limiter before the 8k factory tach reads 4,500 rpm. Engine is way faster than the tach!! I build (assemble after local machine work) all my own motors.

I did my blower motor with your thoughts. It ran great with a Holley 670 Street Avenger until I could afford the blower. Put about 10k miles on it and when I installed the blower, I took the heads down for a quick valve service (3 angle) and installed the Cometic head gaskets. All else was ready for 12 pounds of boost. Lentec Valve body in a PATC AOD Dominator into 9 inch, 3.9 gears in a now new Trutrac 4 pinion traction lock, and Superior 31 spline axles. This is a 6,000 RPM motor only due to the mild cam. Now that the P275 50R 15 MT Drag Radials are hooking me up the acceleration is..... well..... stupid..... The shift to second is right here with my wife's car!

Call me anytime to bench race. I stay up with all the latest gadgets and technology!

Couple pictures of the view the Corvette boys get to see!!!!

Rob

X-Code! Do you eat much?

OP
OP
A

AADaddy

Thanks for the info Rob. I'll certainly call you when I get to the point of figuring out what I want to do with the engine.

robert campbell

AADaddy,
Mo pics!

I had to buy Ron Morris motor mounts and move the engine back about 2 inches for the blower belt to clear the radiator. Had to shorten the driveline the same.

Rob

x-codegtcs

Rob - not any more - I am real good with yard work and take out garbage too! :D

I am getting ready to build by 302 for the J-code I am working on - mind if I pick your brain?

Bryce