• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

68 GT/CS Hertz car

P

PNewitt

Hey! How fantastic!

I would love to include this information about your CS, being a Hertz car in my upcoming book. I'd never heard of this--but it makes sense for Ford to have done that, since the CS was a slow seller at the time.

You can regular mail me at:

Paul M. Newitt
P.O. Box 2245
Davis, CA 95617

I sent you a private message, too.

-Paul.

390cs68rcode

67gt390 said:
Arlie:
I am going to disagree with you respectfully based on the fact that these were a special series order Hertz vehicle and one of only fifty cars ever produced for Hertz in the GT/CS Hertz Special series.

Rhonda:
When I spoke to the owner today he now says that he is leaning toward going back to red on red since this is a very rare car and bringing it back to the original status. So your words have been heard! He also is thinking of this car as a possible Barrett Jackson candidate in the future (2008 or 09) once more information is gained. Everyone keeps mentioning Paul N as the go to guy? Since I am new, how do I contact him?
John

you do realize 4 out of 5 cars that are submitted to the BJ auction never get accepted? good luck.

Mosesatm

67gt390 said:
Arlie:
I am going to disagree with you respectfully........

Well, hey, that's better than I usually get so I'll take it!!!:grin:

OP
OP

67gt390

68 GT/CS Hertz Special & Barrett Jackson

Arlie:

I am aware that there is a selection process and I am familiar with it myself. The owner has had two cars already go through Barrett Jackson so he knows the ropes. You may recall last year that a 68.5 black cobra jet sold for $513,000 well this guy did that car so he knows what it takes. In both cases the cars he worked on broke records and were featured cars at Barrett Jackson.

John

6t8-390gt

I'm confused! Is this a "special edition" California Special with additional badging or a "regular" California Special? If Hertz was the original owner of the car and it was used as a rental I see little difference in price between it and any other California Special. However, if it is different in someway because Hertz ordered it that way (ie. All 50 had Gold Stripes, a special badge or something else) I would say that would have a more pronounced impact on its price.

Are the Gold Nugget Specials worth more, a Cardinal Special, or Sprint worth more than a similarly equiped Mustang?

My .02

OP
OP

67gt390

68 GT/CS Hertz Special

We are investigating it as we speak. We just found out two days ago and we are trying to gather information. We do know that these cars were a special order series of only 50 cars for Hertz. We are not sure what color stripe it has for example and are carfully going to investigate it. I thought this web site would be a good start for information since everyone here is born and raised California Special. As I gather information I will of course pass it on to the group, but if you have any info for me that would be great. I think and hope it will help increase exposure of these great cars and jump the values up to a higher level. Certainly after it goes to Barrett Jackson once it is restored we will know for sure.

Thanks,
John

Mosesatm

67gt390 said:
Arlie:

I am aware that there is a selection process and I am familiar with it myself. The owner has had two cars already go through Barrett Jackson so he knows the ropes. You may recall last year that a 68.5 black cobra jet sold for $513,000 well this guy did that car so he knows what it takes. In both cases the cars he worked on broke records and were featured cars at Barrett Jackson.

John

I think you meant to respond to Jason. Yeah, I know, all us Houston guys look alike.

6t8-390gt

I'm sure Hertz and other rental companies used the popular cars of the times, as evidenced by there use today.

John, good luck with your research and keep us posted.

quicknick

Does the Marti report segregate these cars from any other CS? Was this question already asked and I missed it? Hertz purchased hundreds of mustangs in the late 60's including GT's, GTA's, Mach 1's etc. Do any of those other High profile cars command any special recognition because they were purchased by Hertz? Just wondering. Nicholas

BroadwayBlue

For what it's worth I wouldn't pay anything extra because of the Hertz connection on this one.

It might push someone to buy the car if they're on the fence but the difference in price is minimal at best in my mind.

If I was looking at this car and another and everything was equal. Price would win out for me. I wouldn't pay more for the Hertz vs the non-Hertz.

Now if Carrol Shelby owned it and you could prove it then you might push the value some with that.

20 years from now no one is going to pay more for a 05 Mustang GT that was a rental. Looking at percentages ... maybe they only ordered 50 because they're weren't that many CS's built compared to other models. It's less than 1%. Was is 1% of total Mustang production that year?

Just my 2 cents. ... that won't get you much these days :wink:

390cs68rcode

I do agree that this Hertz purchase will not bring that much of a premium. It is not a Shelby Hertz, just a car Hertz bought.

OP
OP

67gt390

68 GT/CS Hertz Special

I was trying to find out some historical information from this site. In speaking to a MCA judge he said something that made sence to me and that was that if the car had special badging or identified it as a special car or modified car then that would contribute to the value of the car considerably.

Also using the Hertz Shelbys as an example. There is no real difference in the value from a Hertz Shelby Vs a regular Shelby in value. But if there is anything out of the norm that seperates this from others then we would have something unique.

John

OP
OP

67gt390

68 GT/CS Hertz Special

You would be suprised by the number of people that are asking for gobs of additional infomation about the car and asking to purchase the car or trade for the car on the QT. I guess it must be worth something to someone, right? :icon_ecst

Mosesatm

That depends on how much are they offering? All GT/CSs are worth something to someone. Are they offering more than a normal GT/CS in the same condition?

Mustanger

67gt390 said:
I was trying to find out some historical information from this site. In speaking to a MCA judge he said something that made sence to me and that was that if the car had special badging or identified it as a special car or modified car then that would contribute to the value of the car considerably.

Also using the Hertz Shelbys as an example. There is no real difference in the value from a Hertz Shelby Vs a regular Shelby in value. But if there is anything out of the norm that seperates this from others then we would have something unique.

John

... That'll be $.02, please ... (haha)

70boss

The only Hertz cars worth anything for the Hertz name alone are the 66 model Shelbys. They had special bading, special promotions and advertising. Hertz used other Shelbys over the years, but the Hertz connection is just a footnote. I have had two 1966 Hertz cars, a 68 GT350 former Hertz car and I currently have a 1969 Hertz Shelby. Only the 66 Hertz car gets any special recognition. A hertz CS? Not going to make any difference.

RedGTvert

67gt390 said:
Arlie:

John

I have run several cars through Barrett as well, and contrary to popular opinion, they are not as selective as people think. Obviously they will not accept a piece of junk, but it would surprise you just how many low #2 or high #3 cars get in. Remember, they make their selection based on 5 or 6 pics, and we all know how that can be deceiving.

Where they become a little more picky is the times the cars go off. My last one didn't garner $513K, but the buyer did pay $127K for my 70 Mach 1, and it was one of the fantasy bid cars on speed channel.

Auction can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njHriHZajaY

Last edited: