• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Hertz Shelby - maybe off topic

joedls

Diesel Donna said:
Joe....if your brother was driving the CS...what were you driving? Hee hee hee.....I KNOW you weren't riding shotgun. DO tell!!! :wink: :kiss:
(He's gonna kill me now)

I'll tell the story of the whistling s%#*box when I get home and can post some pics.

OP
OP
gt bandit

gt bandit

Okay - A 428CJ its not !! and i wouldn't swap mine for all the Tea in China or T - Shirts.
But when your use to renting some run of the mill sedan that couldn't pull the top of a Rice Pudding - then the Shelby was a nice change.

I did happen to buy a whole heap of steering improvement stuff from Open track racing , It was a little strange going through LAX with a Bag full of CAR parts.
I hope that the ROLLER steering and suspension package i bought will bring my special up to handling high speed cornering.

I am back home and the weather is just starting to break and I cant wait to pull that pony back out of the garage for some fun !!!

shaun

J_Speegle

gt bandit - Had friends take back as carry-on everything including a crankshaft as carry on (Boss crank that was too heavy for the over head bin ;). Pre 9-11 the biggest concern from the airlines were car radios (wires and stuff) as carry on.

Parents once brought back this way ( state side) a set of tires as lugage. Simply taped a pair together and made a handle out of tape to carry them

Last edited:

joedls

Diesel Donna said:
Joe....if your brother was driving the CS...what were you driving? Hee hee hee.....I KNOW you weren't riding shotgun. DO tell!!! :wink: :kiss:
(He's gonna kill me now)

OK, here's the story. It's kind of long, so bear with me....

My wife has grown up her whole life around classic Mustangs. Her father has about 1/2 dozen of them in various stages. He also has several fox bodies. And other Fords. I think at last count he owned 16 Ford vehicles. He lives in Eastern Washington and has a huge shop. He's retired and single so it works for him.

But back to my wife. She has OD'd on Mustangs. She tolerates mine, but just barely. She especially hates the lack of fuel economy I get with my cars. So we started talking about getting her a 67 or 68 6-banger coupe that we could experiment with alternative fuels and/or hybrid engines. This piqued her interest (my wife is definitely what some would call a tree-hugger). I wasn't especially keen on the idea, but if it would get her in a Mustang, I would go for it. So I went on the hunt. But I was too slow.

She saw an old VW bus at a car show we were at and it kind of went downhill from there. We started test-driving them and the next thing you know, we won one on Ebay in Northern CA. Now I have my excuse to go to the GT/CS BBQ. I had to go pick up the bus.

So my brother and I head to the party in Grass Valley on Saturday morning. I got 20 miles away and realized I left my phone, so I turned around and went back to get it. Then I get to my brother's house and he's still asleep (as most sane people are on a Saturday morning at 5:45 AM). Anyway, we were supposed to meet Jeff Miller on the way there and drive the rest of the way together. But because of our late start we called him and told him to go on ahead of us.

The drive was great. We were doing ~90 most of the way. At one point I looked in my rearview mirror (while I was doing 90) and there was a CHP car behind me. I slowed and moved into the right lane so he could pass me. He pulled up next to me and told me (over his loudspeaker) to slow it down before he gave me a ticket. So I did. For awhile anyway.

So we followed Sarge's GT/CS into the party for the last few miles. Upon arrival we were pointed in the direction of all the other GT/CSs to park. Great fun, food, laughter, and sharing of stories was had by all. Diesel Donna told us about her mishap with the power steering fluid fire, the point of which will become apparent later in my story.

So we got in my car after the party and, after a slight exhibition of acceleration as we left, headed to Milpitas to spend the night. This was about a 2 hour drive. Milpitas, you see, is where we were going to pick up my wife's new treasure, the dreaded "Blue Devil" (as my brother named the VW bus) the next day. But along the way an old Nova came up beside and tried to show off. He didn't realize the kind of punch my supercharger was packing. No competition.

After a horrible night's sleep (my brother snores like a chainsaw), we got up to go get the bus. Checked her over, paid the money, signed the papers and parked it at the motel. We then went in search of a decent breakfast. This is where our luck kind of turned. All of a sudden the power steering in my GT/CS went out and smoke started pouring out from under the hood. I stopped immediately and opened up the hood. Luckily, it was not on fire. I immediately got on the phone and called Donna. After a couple of laughs, I cut the belt to the power steering pump (didn't want to be bothered with breaking out the tools and removing it properly) and drove it that way.

So my brother and I had breakfast, showered, fueled up and headed out. Me in the bus and him in my GT/CS. We got about 25 miles out of town and he called me on the phone and told me that the bus had just spewed oil all over his windshield. We pulled over, opened up the engine compartment, and saw oil seeping everywhere . There was also a puddle of it under the van, but it never lost power and didn't make any bad noises. So we decided that the engine wasn't blown. After much cussing and debate we decided to just keep dumping oil in it and drive it. We had to stop every 50 miles or so and let it cool off (it was hot on I-5) and add more oil. We finally made it to the bottom of the Grapevine and decided that we were not going to try to get it up that mountain, so we pulled in to a Circle K and called AAA to tow us the last 100 miles. I won't get into the details ( because I'll probably throw the computer thru the wall if I do) but we waited for 7 1/2 hours for a tow truck. But I got it home, it's in the shop, and that's my story.

BTW, Donna very graciously offered to drive back (something like 3 hours one way) with her truck and trailer to pick me up. I was blown away by the offer. She can be truly called a friend.

Here are a couple of pics from the drive.

Attachments

• bd3.JPG
    bd3.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 24
  • bd1.JPG
    bd1.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 20
  • bd4.JPG
    bd4.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 26

Diesel Donna

Oh my God Joe!! 7 1/2 hours!! Now that's a lot of cigars!

Glad to hear you got home safely anyhow because that ride would never have made it over the Grapevine. :nonono2: I STILL would have come and got ya any time of day or night.

~~~~Faster than Triple A Donna

joedls

Diesel Donna said:
Oh my God Joe!! 7 1/2 hours!! Now that's a lot of cigars!

Glad to hear you got home safely anyhow because that ride would never have made it over the Grapevine. :nonono2: I STILL would have come and got ya any time of day or night.

~~~~Faster than Triple A Donna

I'd like to take this opportunity to nominate Diesel Donna for "Queen of the Calfornia Special". I can't think of anyone more deserving of the title.

What say you?

Mustanger

joedls said:
I'd like to take this opportunity to nominate Diesel Donna for "Queen of the Calfornia Special". I can't think of anyone more deserving of the title.

What say you?

... you have my vote ...

tworings

joedls said:
I think I'll have a better chance once I install the exhaust system I just ordered. Right now I'm running stock manifolds and 1 7/8" pipes. I just ordered a set of Doug's headers and 2 1/2" Maganaflow system. The car should breathe a little better once it's installed.

Hey Joe - Ran into Donna at Pomona Sunday and she told me about your adventure. Next time we'll have to have the So. Cal people caravan up there. LOL We just had Sanderson headers & Magnaflow system installed last week. Any chance you'll come to the Labor Day cruise? ~Lisa

joedls

tworings said:
Hey Joe - Ran into Donna at Pomona Sunday and she told me about your adventure. Next time we'll have to have the So. Cal people caravan up there. LOL We just had Sanderson headers & Magnaflow system installed last week. Any chance you'll come to the Labor Day cruise? ~Lisa

I haven't registered any of my cars, but I'll probably make an appearance as a spectator.

tworings

joedls said:
I haven't registered any of my cars, but I'll probably make an appearance as a spectator.

We plan to have car there Saturday & Sunday. Call me if you get there!
~Lisa