• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Anyone with a 6 cyl California Special/HCS

classicsguy

I was just wondering how they perform in stock conditions since I have only had 8cil Mustangs I have read that they are pretty decent on the road. Thanks!!

franklinair

The '68 I did many years ago had the 6 cyl, A/T, P/S, A/C set up. It had a smooth acceleration with respectable freeway performance. Certainly no tire smoker, but a smooth operation. I drove mine to work daily on the expressways and had NO problem mingling with the other traffic. The fact that your car is a rare 'T' code would (in my opinion) make it as valuable as a V-8 easily, maybe even more so. The only mod I would consider maintaining is the V-8 suspension assuming it was done correctly, and if the front coil springs aren't too stiff for the lighter weight engine. Also, V-8 drum brakes would be more efficient. I think the drums & brake shoes are about 1/2" wider than the standard 6 cyl brakes. AND you have the Shelby wheels that look great (with the 5 lug drums). Go for it - you won't be disappointed.

Neil Hoppe

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

The '68 I did many years ago had the 6 cyl, A/T, P/S, A/C set up. It had a smooth acceleration with respectable freeway performance. Certainly no tire smoker, but a smooth operation. I drove mine to work daily on the expressways and had NO problem mingling with the other traffic. The fact that your car is a rare 'T' code would (in my opinion) make it as valuable as a V-8 easily, maybe even more so. The only mod I would consider maintaining is the V-8 suspension assuming it was done correctly, and if the front coil springs aren't too stiff for the lighter weight engine. Also, V-8 drum brakes would be more efficient. I think the drums & brake shoes are about 1/2" wider than the standard 6 cyl brakes. AND you have the Shelby wheels that look great (with the 5 lug drums). Go for it - you won't be disappointed.

Neil Hoppe

Thanks Neil for that great feedback!!!

Midnight Special

...Six's are very reliable as well. I had a '66 3-spd coupe some years ago that was very tired when I got it. The engine never "glitched" and was great on the open road as Neil said, but the hilly stop & go environment here proved hard on the (early) 3-speed. Input shafts went out almost every year for three years! The mechanic said many of those were fitted w/ leftover Falcon trannys affectionately known as "paper transmissions". Has anyone here heard of this??

66hcs-conv

Hi Gang,

I had a '66 conv, with the 200 cube 6 cyl. I used the car for work, and I drove it 75,000 miles in 3 years. It ran fine at hiway speeds, NEVER failed to start (in Iowa at the time, -20 in the winter) and never left me stranded.

I have a friend who sold irragation engines in Nebraska and they use the same 200 cube Ford in the irragation pumps. Bullet proof - very reliable.

Have fun - Dave

66hcs-conv

excuse me, shoulda been "irrigation"

OK, school's out - go have fun! Dave

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I agree with all those comments. Decent pep, good mileage, reliable and easy to work on.

My first car was a plane jane '68 coupe with a 200 cid. I drove that thing for several years as my primary car and then several more years as a secondary. It took me on several road trips between CO and CA with no engine problems at all. Even as a high school kid I wasn't really disappointed by the pep off the line. Obviously I wasn't going to drag anyone cruising down main street, but it wasn't bad.