• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Are these correct for GT/CS Lucas fog lights?

quicknick

I'm not 100% sure for a Shelby, but definitely not correct for your CS. They need to have the round hole in the middle like these. I believe the covers on that auction are for a Land Rover.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Thank you Quicknick for that nice input! Seller advertises it for the GT/CS.

sam

I have these on my California Special. Thought they were correct? Am I wrong about this??

Mosesatm

My guess is that the covers with the rectangular eyes were produced in the mid-1970s because they are on many cars of that era but it's entirely possible they may have been included with the replacement lights for the recall in '68.

The urban legend has always been that the original factory-installed Lucas lights had the covers with the round eyes.

Hopefully someone who is better informed on Lucas lore will come forward with a revelation, or at least a good WAG.

Northern Pony

I have the same as those shown on e-bay, I thought they were correct. I know MCA judge did not consider them to be incorrect.
So whose correct?
BoB

Mosesatm

I doubt there are any MCA judges (or anyone else) who could prove which covers are correct. Any judge who docks points for the rectangular covers would have some serious explaining to do.

hookedtrout

If they fit and don't fall off I'd say they're correct, correct in my world is they work and look good. I'm fully convinced the Keystone Classics on the beautiful Presidential Blue CS as Arlie pulled it out of the truck had to be correct!! ;-)

Ruppstang

My judging rule is if you do not know for sure you do not deduct for it. Give the car the benefit of the doubt. I also would like to know what is correct. Marty

Northern Pony

I took a look through Paul's two Registries; both mention that the cover with the smal light indicator hole in the middle is the earlier version, the ones with small rectangular light indicator are referred to as " New Style" available in 1969.
Both books mention that "no CS or HCS cars ( that we know of ) came with the fog light covers". They are an accessory purchased after.
From this I would assume both are correct.
BoB

quicknick

My guess is that the covers with the rectangular eyes were produced in the mid-1970s because they are on many cars of that era but it's entirely possible they may have been included with the replacement lights for the recall in '68.

The urban legend has always been that the original factory-installed Lucas lights had the covers with the round eyes.

Hopefully someone who is better informed on Lucas lore will come forward with a revelation, or at least a good WAG.

You are correct sir. The square eyed covers were produced in the early 70's for Land Rover and other European companies that used these same Lucas lights (Jag I think too).
This is why I made the statement " not correct for a CS". They weren't even around yet.
With that being said, square window covers are correct for the light and look every bit as good. I own both styles and no MCA judge has ever busted my chops for having incorrect covers.
And please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. These are the facts as I have known them for the past 30 years.

Mosesatm

Many cars had the Lucas Square 8 lights, including Rolls Royce, Triumph, MG, Jaguar, Bentley, and a few others I can't think of right off hand.

I think I see a trend here. It looks like all the British manufacturers used them.

Last edited:

sam

Great information here and background. I'm always learning..........thanks everyone.
Sam

GT/CS S Code

Peace of mind ...

I bought a pair of these "rectangular eye" covers for our car last year, and although I was fairly sure that they weren't 100% correct for the C/S model I wanted them anyway just to protect our Lucas fogs on highway trips! We used them when we drove up to Kamloops for the "Hot Nites in Kamloops" show and shine last August. That was over 600 miles return trip, mostly highway mileage too, and there was much peace of mind about any possible flying rocks or debris that could take out a fog light lens!
:eek:
If they were more reasonably priced it would be worth having them, but we only paid about $30.00 for our pair of covers and that included the shipping ... so you might want to continue to look for a cheaper pair of these covers?

Ruppstang

You are correct sir. The square eyed covers were produced in the early 70's for Land Rover and other European companies that used these same Lucas lights (Jag I think too).
This is why I made the statement " not correct for a CS". They weren't even around yet.
With that being said, square window covers are correct for the light and look every bit as good. I own both styles and no MCA judge has ever busted my chops for having incorrect covers.
And please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. These are the facts as I have known them for the past 30 years.

Thanks that is what I was looking for. Since these were not part of original equiptment I would ask that they would be removed so the fog light assembly could be properly judged. Marty

obwan93001

I'm not 100% sure for a Shelby, but definitely not correct for your CS. They need to have the round hole in the middle like these. I believe the covers on that auction are for a Land Rover.

Hi all! Have not been on in a while as have been very busy w/life schtuff including getting all the parts needed for my 289 refresh and C4 rebuild, finally almost there. :icon_ecst Boy, do I have alot of catching up to do. :embarass:

Anywho, I had a few mins to hop on and check things out here today and saw this thread. I purchased a pair of the small hole covers from a private seller on fleabay a couple of months ago and he told me that they were original to his grandfather's 1968 Shelby Mustang and that his gpa had found them in the glove compartment when he bought the Mustang new from the dealer. The Shelby was long gone and he was just selling off some misc parts from the car that his gpa had given to him and had stored in his attic. I would assume that seeing the Shelby Mustang was a "premium" Mustang the dealers probably put the covers on or in the car for gratis. Perhaps seeing our GT/CS Mustangs were a lower priced cousin they were only offered as an accessory/option for purchase when you bought the CS or shortly thereafter and not given for free. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Oscar

quicknick

Good info Oscar. When my Dad purchased his 69 Shelby GT500 new From Al Long Ford in Detroit, they didn't come with any covers. He had to purchase them from the parts counter. But I can't remember if they were the round eye style. I was only 10 years old and wasn't paying attention to details back then.