• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Brake light question

mbsf1970

My (ugh) non gt/cs 1968 Mustang is apparently having having some brake light issues.....here's what's going on.....

In "park" my brake lights work. In "drive" they only work if more pressure is applied. In other words, when I am driving around town and lightly apply the brakes ( which is how I brake 45 yr old car!) the lights won't come on.

Ideas?? Other than the obvious: brake harder.....

Thanks,
Stephen

franklinair

I can think of no correlation between the gear selector and the brake lights. There are 2 components in the brake light circuitry; The brake light switch activated by pushing the brake pedal (most likely based on your description) and the Turn Signal switch (which would affect more than just pedal foot pressure). I am assuming your Mustang is a '67 or later.

Neil

Ruppstang

Also be aware that there is a difference between a manual brake and a power brake switchs. It is all about how much pressure that is required to light the lights.

candycal

Sounds like a switch issue to me as well, if the brake lights are working when more pressure is applied when in Drive. I can't recall if these switches have some adjustment, some do.

Stephen, you should be able to see the switch if you look under the brake pedal, it's activated by the pedal being depressed. Try taking it out and cleaning it, sometimes the contact is dirty. If there is some manual adjustment in it, try adjusting it up so it comes on earlier.

I'm pretty confident you'll get a result either by adjusting it, cleaning it or replacing it. Although why it would work easier in Park is a mystery. Maybe something to do with more vacuum in "P" if they're boosted brakes?

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

I'll look for swithch under pedal. That, to me, makes the most sense. Perhaps it is not fully springing back after usage....thanks everyone!