• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Export brace removal/installation

GTCS95616

I don't believe the export brace was an OEM item. Removal and installation will depend on the style of brace and the installation method used by the aftermarket installer.

OP
OP
JohnnyQuest515

JohnnyQuest515

They call it export brace, typical on every 1968 GT/CS here. Not talking about the brace that goes across the engine that may be aftermarket.

Someone else...

Midnight Special

...Well if your talking about the cross brace(s) that run from shock towers to the firewall - simply remove the nuts on the towers and bolts & nuts on the firewall under the hood. Some of mine are two-piece and another, 1-piece....

Mosesatm

From top to bottom;
Export Brace
Cowl Brace, or Firewall to Shock Tower Brace
Monte Carlo bar

You must choose between 1 export brace or 2 cowl braces, but not all 3 at the same time.:wink:

The cowl braces are factory, but the export brace is supposedly stronger.

No-one knows for sure if the Monte Carlo bar does anything but it looks cool!

Attachments

• Export Brace.pdf
    241.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Firewall-Shock Tower Braces.pdf
    241.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Monte Carlo Bar.pdf
    241.6 KB · Views: 43

nfrntau

All 68 mustangs and earlier had the shock tower supports leading from the firewall center to the shock towers (two pieces). Shelby changed this to a one piece unit increasing the strength and reducing flex. Due to restriction overseas, Ford used these to sell their cars in Europe to meet their regulations. Thus the term export brace.
Or so I have heard.

PFSlim

Here is mine. Ours went on with no problem at all. However, we had heard several stories about how, once removed, the braces didn't not go back on well. That you needed to apply weight on one corner or another to make the brace fit.

Like I said, ours fit great and went right on.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC01227.JPG
    DSC01227.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 26

GTCS95616

I stand corrected. I was thinking of a Monte Carlo bar, rather than and export brace. Sorry for the confusion!