• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Export Brace

franklinair

Opinions, please:
Export Brace, Yea or Nay? Haven't decided yet as to add one or not. Its not that costly, but I wonder if its worth the co$t and work to install one for "normal", "old goat " type of driving.

Neil

dalorzo_f

Repros for $40, "better" thicker OE "odd spacing" go for for $60... and an hour to install? Same cost as a drive to get a tank of gas... and for me working on the cars is almost as mcuh fun as driving them!

Yep, worth it.

I've heard the horror stories of sag, but on all 4 I've put them on, unbolt old factory braces, mount loosely to towers, mount to firewall, tighten, done...

Mosesatm

They bolt into the same bolt holes as the factory braces so from an engineering point of view I don't see how they do anything for normal driving, or for spirited driving.

A Monte Carlo bar is another issue.

CougarCJ

Like Dalorzo said, get the heavy duty one, if you must have one.

Truthfully? a curved Monte Carlo bar would be a spring in my book. A straight Monte Carlo bar would work - in theory.
My limited knowledge of physics and engineering makes me want to say that these two items would only make a limited difference.
Heavier sway bars (front and rear), stiffer springs, performance tires, and sub frame connectors would be the least needed to make much of a difference.

dalorzo_f

The spacing of the holes is staggered on stock Mustangs. Some vendors sell "even spaced" ones for Shelby applications. Not sure if its a 65-66 thing or all...

Note below, the spacing between the two middle bolts is diferent to that between the outer and inners on each side. Odd spacing.

CIMG0012-3.jpg

On the "spring" an export brace is also, technically, a spring, as it flexes just as a curved MC bar will. IMO the flex in a curved MC bar would be minimal, and it will keep the towers from flexing somewhat, better than not being there for sure.

As for the benfit of an export brace, the export brace is solid at the firewall it resists flex better than the stock bar, as it resists moment in the horizontal plane. The stock bars bolted to firewall and tower do not have this restraint (well, a bit, but nowhere near as much.

Imaging holding the end of the stock bar at the firewall and having someone else try to flex the tower end in or out. Would be very hard to hold as your end has no lever arm (ok, very little, the span between the two bolt holes) to resist moment. Do the same, but with you on one tower end of a Export brace and the other person at the other tower. Now bolt the back edge to the firewall to stifen it even more... Very different dynamic, as you now have a very large and quite stiff lever arm to resist the motion...

robert campbell

The ‘unit” body Fords of the 1960’s carry the full weight of the front axel through the shock towers and into the firewall via the shock tower supports. The Export Brace bar is a huge step up from the stamp steel stock units. Plus they tie together at the firewall and add even more support from side to side. I think the the Mustang II conversion on a 60’s Mustang is a huge mistake. This conversion does not carry the weight of the car via a shock tower to the firewall and depends on a full frame strength that a Mustang does not have unless the frames are tied together and fully reinforced through the roof section via a roll cage.

Both the Export Brace and the Monte Carlo bar are a great upgrade for your car. As these cars have gotten older anything that increases the rigidity of these old unit bodies will keep them from flexing, cracking, and breaking! Simple cheap insurance!!

Rob

GT/CS S Code

Plus ...

... plus they just darn well look much cooler!
:cool:

Attachments

• Blethering Place Collector Car Show 2011 084.jpg
    Blethering Place Collector Car Show 2011 084.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 35
  • Blethering Place Collector Car Show 2011 174.jpg
    Blethering Place Collector Car Show 2011 174.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Ford Spring Spectacular in Parksville May 29th 2011 057.jpg
    Ford Spring Spectacular in Parksville May 29th 2011 057.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Ford Spring Spectacular in Parksville May 29th 2011 082.jpg