• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Found on eBay today...

PonyGal

One of our own is famous!

I was browsing on ebay tonight and I happened across this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390142553045&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

I called and talked to Tim (Midnight Special), but it is not his auction. He has no idea who put it up for sale. He said that it is one of a series of nine locomotive drawings for the local railroad that he drew using pencils back in '93. He sold them in Grass Valley in gift shops and restaurants.

I always thought you had to be dead before becoming a famous artist!

GT/CS S Code

$$$???

This seems like a very reasonable starting price for a limited edition, numbered, framed print? This could be a deal for someone that is a train lover ...
Hey Tim, did you do a series of GT/CS Mustangs too? I'm sure that you could sell some of those on this site!
;-)

CougarCJ

I did not know Tim was an artist, thought he was just an all around good guy.

I had to go check out the my one and only railroad art work that is also a pen drawing. Not Tim's work, someone named 'N. Yamabe'.

Is there a link to see the "Works - of Tim O'Brien"?

Midnight Special

One of our own is famous!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390142553045&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

I always thought you had to be dead before becoming a famous artist!

...That's hilarious Renee, but judging by the starting price and no bidding war, it looks like I'll be around for a looong time ;-)

Al & Marty - When I started here in '05, we did drawings and a run of personalized T-shirts of site-member cars for about a year, but the registrar of the day made it extraneous by claiming only he had the right...

Doug - From the looks of things, that registrar will be around for a long time as well ;-)

Most car people (I think) would gravitate more towards paintings (acrylics) to enhance their nice paint jobs. Pencils are neat for doing the detail and rustic appearances found on locomotives & old airplanes.

P.S. Keep an eye on Trace Goulding (Cory & Trina's son:) He'll be a shining star one day :)

P.P.S. Scott - I haven't made much time for that in recent years. GT/CS and all its wonderful associations being the welcome distraction :)

Attachments

• SP8_1.jpg
    SP8_1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 33
  • lockheed_1.jpg
    lockheed_1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

hookedtrout

Tim is an awesome artist and it was an absolute joy to sit on his patio and go through his binders full of art work from planes to trains to cars. Just an amazing artist and my son being a WWII plane fanatic was overjoyed when Tim gave him a signed print of his favorite bomber. It was amazing to see Tim and my 11 year old son talking planes, it was like they were talking a foreign language to me but they understood each other very clearly.

You could add me on to the list of interested parties if Tim were to put together a CS/HCS series of prints.

Cory

di81977

What do you know...very cool Tim!

I think it is time to bring back the personalized T-shirts. Mine does not fit any more. Must have shrunk in the wash :)

david

Ruppstang

Tim I don't know what the regestar could say if I hired a artist/ freind to put his interpretation of my car on paper? I guess I really would not care. Marty

BroadwayBlue

Al & Marty - When I started here in '05, we did drawings and a run of personalized T-shirts of site-member cars for about a year, but the registrar of the day made it extraneous by claiming only he had the right...

Absolutely the best Mustang shirt I own. No matter how many I have in the closet that is the one I wear to car shows 9 times out of 10.
It has started up more conversations and discussions than I can count.
"Hey is that your CS back there? ... etc ..."

Just happy I bought around 3 of them so that if one wears out I have another as a backup! :cool:

Midnight Special

Tim I don't know what the regestar could say if I hired a artist/ freind to put his interpretation of my car on paper? I guess I really would not care. Marty

...Well, without re-hashing it, I was pretty new & enthusiastic at the time and that registrar felt that I needed to be put in my place I guess. The rest is history...

I would be delighted to do anything for you as you have for the group which to me, is what it's all about.

I went out & bought some more art supplies today to play with during next weeks forecast of solid rain. Thanks to You Marty - we'll get the turn signal switch installed to Renee's car tomorrow (before the rain) in time for Autorama.

Gary "limelyt" is another artist on site. He's truly outstanding!

Attachments

• jayscal.jpg
    jayscal.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Elledge-e.jpg
    Elledge-e.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 24

Midnight Special

Absolutely the best Mustang shirt I own. No matter how many I have in the closet that is the one I wear to car shows 9 times out of 10.
It has started up more conversations and discussions than I can count.
"Hey is that your CS back there? ... etc ..."

Just happy I bought around 3 of them so that if one wears out I have another as a backup! :cool:

...Thanks so much Rich! You know you may call at any time if you need replacements! I am honored to say the least!!

sam

Tim, have you done any drawings for B-17 bombers? That's my plane and have many pics & renderings of this aircraft in my office. I would be interested if you have anything.

Regards/Sam

Midnight Special

Tim, have you done any drawings for B-17 bombers? That's my plane and have many pics & renderings of this aircraft in my office. I would be interested if you have anything.

Regards/Sam

Sam,
Yes I have done a number of B-17s. My great uncle flew 28 missions from Molesworth, UK (303rd BG, 8th AF) during 1944. The original of the one below hangs in the 8th AF museum in England signed by Chuck Yeager and Bud Anderson. Anderson's P-51 was named "Old Crow" as was my uncle's B-17...

In addition, I grew up here in Grass Valley under their "aluminum overcast" during their post-war use as air tankers in the 1960's & '70's.
Such the fond memories :)

Attachments

• B17 CLR_1.jpg
    B17 CLR_1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 29
  • T56_1.jpg
    T56_1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 32
  • 0398e.jpg
    0398e.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 28

hookedtrout

I would love to have a print or even an original for framing and matting of my CS in one of your fantastic drawings with some nice background similar to what you have done with the trains, maybe a classic old gas station in the back? And I would insist on paying for your tallents. I collect art and this would top the list. No pressure!!!

Cory

GT/CS S Code

Is there a chance?

We'd love to have a print or drawing of our car too, but this could turn into a very LONG list ... is there any chance to make this happen?
:icon_ecst

Midnight Special

We'd love to have a print or drawing of our car too, but this could turn into a very LONG list ... is there any chance to make this happen?
:icon_ecst

Yes Al, there's a good chance. I've started another steam locomotive as a matter of practice to get good at shading & details again. Your very enthusiasm is what will make this work. Nothing more...

When I get confident again, I will ask for photos of your car & go from there :)

Attachments

• Engine1_1.jpg
    Engine1_1.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 26