• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

fuel, temp, oil guage not working

karolscali

question reinstalling wiring harness, and my oil fuel and temp guages, have no power.i havepower at the alt guage, on the posts but no power at the rest. is this on a fuse or breaker, or can you get any power at the posts on back of instrument panel? also 4 way flashers do not work flasher works, but when i put on the a signal turn it stops also, do i have gremlins?

Midnight Special

question reinstalling wiring harness, and my oil fuel and temp guages, have no power.i havepower at the alt guage, on the posts but no power at the rest. is this on a fuse or breaker, or can you get any power at the posts on back of instrument panel? also 4 way flashers do not work flasher works, but when i put on the a signal turn it stops also, do i have gremlins?

...Ignition switch?

rvrtrash

All the gauges, except the ammeter, have power supplied by the constant voltage unit on the back of the gauge cluster. I'd see if both terminals are connected, and then check to make sure you have power going into it, to start with. I'm assuming of course you've already checked to make sure all your connections on the back of the cluster are good. The blinker problem might be a ground connection you missed, if you had the harness out of the car, but one thing at a time.

Steve

robert campbell

Steve the electron guy is all over it!!! always remember that DC means damn confusing!!!

I always say it is always a ground. check every ground and make sure the engine is grounded.

Rob

OP
OP
K

karolscali

instrument voltage regulator

thanx guys i checked the IVR there is power going in, but at the guage there is none, so i would assume the ivr is open? your supposed to get a flicker on a test probe? or flucuating voltage? so how do you test the IVR?

rvrtrash

I've never been able to get a good reading with a digital volt meter. It fluctuates too fast for a DC reading and too slow for an AC reading, but you can see that there's something there because the screen fluctuates. I think the only way to find out the real signal coming out is with an oscilloscope. With that being said, a test light shoud flicker dimmly and you should see the fluctuations on a digital volt meter. I haven't owned an analog meter in years so can't say what it would show, although the old Simpson meters picked up a lot the digitals won't.

Steve