• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Has anyone ever seen this car?

OP
OP
S

sctg86

This does look like the one we discussed before (E-bay?) with the upside down rocker moldings. Obviously a re-paint. Whoever did it is probably not all that familiar with Mustang refurbishment- (rocker moldings, trunk coating). It IS a handsome car, worthy of a closer look by someone knowledgeable, but $25K is way too high (IMHO) in today's market.
Not knowing the buyer or seller location makes it difficult to offer assistance in evaluating the car, although I can understand Jerry's reluctance to divulge that info at this time. Perhaps Jerry would consider contacting one of our members to see if there's someone nearby & available to assist/evaluate. We're all over the country- N,S,E,W.

Neil

Neil
I was impressed with the options on the car when I got the marti report.
Iam not to up on california specials and that is why I came to this site.
What would your opinion be of a fair price? After searching around the site and net, I think fair value would be $18-$21,000. ( any other opinions?)
Iam located in British Columbia Canada. I would like to hire someone from this site to view the car for me once I put a deposit and secure the car if it happens.
Thanks for all of your opinions and help.
Jerry

Mosesatm

Neil
I was impressed with the options on the car when I got the marti report.
Iam not to up on california specials and that is why I came to this site.
What would your opinion be of a fair price? After searching around the site and net, I think fair value would be $18-$21,000. ( any other opinions?)
Iam located in British Columbia Canada. I would like to hire someone from this site to view the car for me once I put a deposit and secure the car if it happens.
Thanks for all of your opinions and help.
Jerry

Make sure the deposit is refundable in case there is something wrong with the car and you decide not to purchase it.

Here's an old thread about the car.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6968

Please be careful, cautious, and prudent.

aemoo28

This car sold on Ebay last Dec 2008 for $18K.

It's a VERY good idea to have someone from this site look at this car prior to fully purchasing. I speak from experience.

franklinair

Jerry;
I purchased my C/S 2 years ago for $17,500. It was a 'done' car, restored by the previous owner. Everything was perfect. 302, A/T, P/S, Factory A/C.
The previous thread about the car you're considering says it was sold for $18,100 less than a year ago. I'm now assuming that the current seller is a broker and/or speculator. That being said- he's in it for profit, and that's OK. Probably looking to gain about $2K minimum. Your evaluation of $18 to $21K is correct- as long as the car checks out OK. That would be an absolute necessity first. Have someone knowledgeable look at the car before any financial commitment. If it checks out, and you LOVE the car, than offer what you think it's worth. If no deal is reached- do not be disheartened- there are others that will be available.

Neil

Perkchiro

Didn't ALL GT/CS equipped cars come with the same pop-off gas cap? This one has the GT cap.

CougarCJ

Was'nt Hertz considered a "company lease plan"?

Been trying to find an example of a Marti report of Hertz rental cars.
I think that Hertz purchased the cars. I have seen the Marti reports for cars and it shows Hertz Rental.

GTCSMustang

A GT GT/CS does not have a GT gas cap. Seems like it should, but it doesn't.

Scott

gofastguy

As this car seems to be owned by a someone who buys and sells, it would be a VERY good idea to open up and accept the generous help available from this site. I'm not sure that the line is very long to buy this one at over 20K and I doubt very much someone from here would buy it out from under you. I speak from experience as the help I received in the purchase of mine was INVALUABLE (thanks again Arlie!)

robert campbell

Thanks Scott. That's what I thought.

Actually Paul's first book opens the door to some of the early GT/CS cars having a GT gas cap. Even a 1967 year one with the GT inlayed with black paint vice red. My car has said gas cap. This car is not an early car, so the running horse would be appropriate for it from the factory.

Boy am I having a hard time looking at the pics with the rocker moldings upside down!! It is killing me.

I offered to look at it for Jerry if we can get together. Not sure where it is located.

Rob

Perkchiro

Hey Rob, would April 29 build date be considered early? I really was under the assumption that the running horse pop off was part of the GT/CS package. I guess any sort of variation is possible. Just trying the learn a little more about this particular aspect of the CS history.

CougarCJ

My car has what I believe is the original gas cap. It is the pop off running horse one with a C7ZA-9A112-B casting number on the back.

My non-GT, GT/CS has a build date of 05B or February 5, 1968.

robert campbell

Our car is 2 January 1968. To quote Paul's 1st book on page 46, " a handful of GT/CS cars with the GT equipment option slipped out with the GT gas cap". On page 63 Paul has a note (#4) for people who have a GT gas cap as they registered their cars.

So according to Paul the GT gas cap may have been on a GT/CS....

But of course note 3 (on page 63 is about our car, a Gold Nugget California Special. There is a January 4 car that included the same note 3. But he has retracted that in a pm to me.

Paul seems to only consider "Marti verified" cars these days. That leaves out all of the prototypes and possibly the debut cars on February 15th as true GT/CS cars. They would not be Marti verified in my opinion.

Note 3 on page 63 of Paul's first book reads "One of the few cars painted nugget gold (YS). This color is not shown after February 9. These cars were promoted by as Northwest Ford dealer as "Gold Nugget Specials". YS cars with California DSO as well."

All of that is a whole "notha" story. And our car was not Sunlit Gold. It is a whole different color

Rob

Northern Pony

Jerry;
I have been out of country, so just looking at this now. Where are you at with the car? I don't want to buy it, just wondering if you still need help? I am close by, depending where in BC the car is.
BoB

J_Speegle

Been trying to find an example of a Marti report of Hertz rental cars.
I think that Hertz purchased the cars. I have seen the Marti reports for cars and it shows Hertz Rental.

Currently doing a Hertz rental (one of the 150 or so 69 Shelbys) The car shows sold to - if I remember correctly. For the Shelbys there was a buy back agreement I noticed in some meeting minutes but unsure if this was discussion or a done deal. In either case that was for the Shelbys not for all the typical Ford cars Hertz purchased for the fleet.

Will try and double check the Marti when I get back from the Judges Meeting