• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Heater core replacement

OP
OP
p51

p51

Just FYI (in case someone ever runs into the same problem)...

Per above thread I broke the fiberglass drain nipple off of the heater/evaporator box when I was removing it. I did a little checking on the web and found the solution that seemed the best was:

(1) A 1/8" "bulkhead nipple" or "pipe bulkhead brass fitting". Similar to...
http://www.coastpneumatics.com/15029-1.html?gclid=COflw6WylMsCFQFsfgodHWYPDw
The head of the fitting and nut together holds the fitting in place and offers support on both the inside and outside of the box. The diameter of the nipple fits the hose perfectly and extended on slightly longer than the original nipple. I did have to use a dremel to cut a small channel on one side of the head of the fitting to make it flush with the bottom of the box (to remove the small lip of the fitting head which would stop the water draining at the very bottom of the box)

(2) JB Weld around both the head on the top and the nut on the bottom.

OP
OP
p51

p51

What kind of paint would be used to paint the box?

What I did:
(1) Cleaned the box with dish soap, rinsed, let dry, then wipe down with spray-on degreaser
(2) Rattle can Duplicolor Self Etching Primer (says it's good for fiberglass on can)
(3) Rattle can Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel Multi-purpose paint (says it's good for fiberglass on can) - Black, in (and on) my case
(4) Rattle can Duplicolor clear coat

Note: Probably overkill... since I don't know what I'm doing I tend to buy the can of stuff that the can I'm currently using says to use to prep the surface to make the can of stuff that I about to spray, better... I'm hoping with all those layers that the box will still fit back into the car :wink:

dalorzo_f

Found a wipe of vinyl Dye in Semi Gloss Black works ok.

Spray on a rag and a light wipe-on application spruces up an old box OK. Evens up the color and doesn't leave the "painted" look.... prep on some has also been a very careful and very light/quick media blasting to get rid of old paint/flaking prior coatings and even up the surface...

whodat

What is a good glue to use to replace the gaskets in the evaporator core. A 3M spray glue or something else?

OP
OP
p51

p51

What is a good glue to use to replace the gaskets in the evaporator core. A 3M spray glue or something else?

I just finished restoring my heater/evap core... it was a real PITA :tongue:

I used 3M Super 77 Multipurpose adhesive spray based on info I gathered off of the web. Seemed to work well. I think if I had to do it again I'd get a brush-on version rather than a spray. As stated above it's just easier to work with. But I don't know what brush-on glue would be equivalent to the 3M Super 77...