• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood Stripes for Wimbleton White-Red or Black?

franklinair

I like the red side stripes accenting the interior. I like the look of the black hood stripes. After all - the black hood stripe concept was for racers, to cut down on glare. Be a racer!!:cool:

Neil

Midnight Special

...No, not stupid at all;-) You have me wondering as well. With Photoshop handy, it's easy to do a quickie sketch for folks to compare with. 'Beats the "garbage bags" which I haven't found in "red" ;-)

OP
OP
Redwingrobb

Redwingrobb

I like the red/black and black/black combos. Might come down to a coin flip.

CALIF GIRL

I was under the impression the 68 hood stripe option was only black. Is there info on any other color?

franklinair

It's a good thing I don't live in CA. You guys could get me in BIG trouble!!

Neil

franklinair

It's a good thing I don't live in CA. You guys could get me in BIG trouble!! I spend my time here being an 'airport bum' and tinkering with my Mustangs. I'm afraid that would be amplified out there!

Neil

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, that's a tough one. I don't like the red hood stripes, so for me that option would be out. That leaves two different colors (red side/black hood) or black stripes for both.

I recently looked at a white GT/CS for sale for a fellow site member and it had red interior and black stripes. To be honest I didn't notice the conflict at all. It's not technically correct, but it certainly didn't scream out at me as looking wrong.

The 2 different stripe colors bug me in theory, but once on the car they could look great.

Hmmmm....tough decision.

Midnight Special

...Robb, if you're going to have the car painted anyway - what about getting some strips of graphic vinyl (from a sign shop) and applying to the hood temporarily to see how it looks. Inexpensive and removable...

franklinair

I'm done with this thread. 31 posts over a choice of red or black. Bye-bye.

Neil:frust:

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm...Neil & Bob, I'm a bit surprised at that. There have been many threads on this forum that have gone on for pages and pages of banter with less important issues at stake. It's pretty easy to just ignore the thread if you're no longer interested.

Last edited:

6t8-390gt

Black hood stripes were the only color offered in '68 from the factory, and being a purist I would do black. There was a 68-1/2 Cobra Jet coupe featured in MM years ago; it was wimbleton white w/ red interior and had a black vinyl top. The car had red C-stripes and the black CJ hood stripe and looked awesome. Many years later I found a J-code GT coupe w/ the same combo except it had the dual hood stripes I was so temped to buy it, but passed due to condition.

My vote red side stripes, black hood stripes.

Danny

Midnight Special

Hmmm...I'm a bit surprised at that. There have been many threads on this forum that have gone on for pages and pages of banter with less important issues at stake. It's pretty easy to just ignore the thread if you're no longer interested.

Well... Call me "guilty". I deleted two of my posts after seeing that! My next comment here would be along the lines of admiring Danny's S-code Fastback after being inspired to check out his gallery. It's called "networking" and getting to know your friends a little better (within threads).
Many opportunities and even gatherings were created through such discussions. But if your not in a "clique"...Oh well!.... I'll try to be more focussed and up tight henceforth ;-)

Last edited:

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Tim - You mistook my post. It wasn't directed at you and I wasn't complaining at all about the banter. (I edited my post to make it more clear I wasn't replying to your post directly above mine)

I was simply surprised that Neil and Bob thought this conversation had become monotonous enough to say so, especially when so many other threads run off topic way more than this one.

I'm not trying to turn it into a bigger deal then it is. I'm just surprised, that's all.

franklinair

Sorry if I was too abrupt & stepped on anyone's toes. Guess I should've just kept my opinion to myself. (You probably won't believe this, but Peggy says sometimes I need to work on my people skills!! Can you believe that?!)
I also enjoy the banter that goes on in various threads. Lotsa chuckles.

Neil (aka Mr. Wilson) (For those who read Dennis The Menace)