• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood Stripes...

Mustanger

I'm getting ready to make a move on body & painting, and I'm seriously considering the optional black hood stripes ... I've read some of the previous posts, and apart from a) the dimensions, and b) the turn signal grill is body color, do the stripes extend to under the hood, onto the cowl area (see attached pic)? ... Anyone know?? Thanks :thumb: ...

Attachments

• '68hoodstripesGTCS_2.jpg
    '68hoodstripesGTCS_2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 67

dalorzo_f

AFAIK all the way to the glass, but not down the cowl from the factory they were masked and sprayed on the hood with it on the car. Hard to spray the cowl with the hood on... MCA gold judges advised me grilles were black.

I did mine and stopped them at the rubber seal on my non GT/CS. Though it looked best... but not "correct".

CIMG0012-3.jpg

Ruppstang

AFAIK all the way to the glass, but not down the cowl from the factory they were masked and sprayed on the hood with it on the car. Hard to spray the cowl with the hood on... MCA gold judges advised me grilles were black.

I did mine and stopped them at the rubber seal on my non GT/CS. Though it looked best... but not "correct".

CIMG0012-3.jpg

+ 1 Marty

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

CIMG0012-3.jpg

So, what would be correct? No paint at all on the vertical surfaces (under the hood), or a little overspray, or maybe masking it off to the first crease line encountered? ...

franklinair

Hood Stripes: The ones I've seen (and liked) came down only about 1/2" on the verticle surface, and were masked for a nice crisp edge.
Turn Signal Grilles: Mine are Argent. I think they should be Argent or body color, not sure. (Marty, Jeff ??)

Neil

dalorzo_f

Original stripes should feather on the cowl, as it was just overspray from the mask with the hood shut.

+1 on body or black grilles, never seen argent on an original...

nfrntau

I like the stripes down to the black of the engine compartment. I gave this some thought before I had my car painted and this is what works best for me. Not stock but I like the look.

Attachments

• 1246.jpg
    1246.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

They should be body color or black if with stripe. Marty

I've seen them as body color, but also black ... which one is correct :confused: ...

Attachments

• '68hoodstripesGTCS_4.jpg
    '68hoodstripesGTCS_4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 47
  • mump-1107-04-o+1968-ford-mustang-fastback+hood-vents.jpg
    mump-1107-04-o+1968-ford-mustang-fastback+hood-vents.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 49

franklinair

Although I believe the Argent color for the hood Turn Signal grilles looks better, I believe Marty's input (body color, or if striped, the stripe color) is correct.
Rich's input of just overspray on the cowl verticle surface also seems correct. But again I must depart from the PC approach- I personally would mask that cowl area 1/4" below the top of the cowl, and have a nice, crisp edge to the stripe. But that's just me. :)

Neil

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Although I believe the Argent color for the hood Turn Signal grilles looks better, I believe Marty's input (body color, or if striped, the stripe color) is correct.
Rich's input of just overspray on the cowl verticle surface also seems correct. But again I must depart from the PC approach- I personally would mask that cowl area 1/4" below the top of the cowl, and have a nice, crisp edge to the stripe. But that's just me. :)

Neil
Thanks, I'll go with this for now unless I see something else that convinces me othewise :thumb: ...