• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

If money was no object...

P

PNewitt

...if money was no object, what would you do to, or with your GT/CS (HCS)?

Total resto--or modified? Vintage racer?

What options would you get? Hard to find dealer items--or factory items?

What Shelby (vintage) items would you get?

Any other accessories?? Aftermarket stuff? Ford crate engine?

I have my list...what is yours?

Paul.

68gt390

Paul; To answer your question, look at my gallery and you'll see what I've done to my 390. Dealer options, Not. After market - Lot's. My car will never be concourse and will never be a "Trailer Queen" I have too much fun driving it. Besides, with the comments I've received from people in this area, it's time someone educated them as to what these cars were all about. I've even had several folks who had their GT/CS in the Concourse class but, still came and looked at mine which was placed in the modified class to see what was wrong with there's. Imagine that. We can all learn from each other. No one car is perfect.

Don ;D

68sunlitgold

Paul,
lets see if money was no option.....I would get a '68 Shelby GT500KR in Sunlit Gold. Ok now staying with the GT/CS, like Don, I would never make it concourse to the point it is a "Trailer Queen", I bought this car to drive. However I would restore it to new/driver quality, and add as many options I could. I would like to add the swing-away steering, convienence warning lights, and cruise control. I have already added floor and overhead console. The door grilles with speakers and lights are also on the wish list.

And as many have done, I too will add the cut-out rear valance with GT dual exhaust. As for any other Shelby items to add, I think adding any thing else would make it look more like a Shelby clone, ie front end items. I do wish they (Ford) would have placed the "GT/CS" and "California Special" wheel and dash insignia that you produced. I intend to but them on the car once the interior is completed (OK first I have to get back to the states and with my car).

Doug

hcsstang

::)My HCS got me into trouble anyway. The wife said that since you spent so much money on the car I want new kitchen cabinets. ::) No matter what you do you can't win. :-\

rvrtrash

I have to pretty much agree with Sunlightgold. I'm restoring mine now and I rebuilt rather than replaced as many parts as possible, but did replace the springs with GT springs (they were shot anyway) and the rear valance with the GT one. I'm putting on an Edelbrock intake, Holley carb and Doug Thorley Tri-Y's also, but keeping all the original parts in case I want to go back. I even saved the old seat upholstery. This car will be driven and I wanted it to look like it would have if I'd bought it in the 70's in high school, stock except for a few small performance mods.
Steve

davidathans

In the last 4 years i've put in, with the help of my dad and uncle, about 30000 into my mustang. But if I had an unlimited fund, i would send my car to the guys that built Jason Giambi his own shelby. They took a fastback and stripped it down and made a perfect Eleanor with an all aluminum, crated from Vegas, 427 Super Snake. 725 horsepower supercharged. With a worked Tremec T-5, and all the crazy suspension for the front and rear. I wouldn't try to turn mine into a fastback shelby, I would leave it a GTCS, have them do a perfect paint job, and drop in the supercharged 427 and T-5. After that the HID headlamps go in with a billet grille that cuts out for my fog lamps(im going to do this eventually). Also a full roll cage and a tubbed rear so that I could run 345 tires. ;D

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I've got this wish list for my car....

Leather repro seats, Shelby American FE heads with roller rockers
Shelby sidewinder intake (1968 version), CS Shelby Valve covers
Shelby 5 spoke wheels (later used on the '69 Shelby--was an aftermarket Shelby wheel in spring '68) with CS center caps...

Maybe a vintage Paxton, if it fits, too.

...a 5 speed for a 390 with scattershield, nodular 9"....and --if I go stock toploader--one of those Hurst in-line drag shifters. I saw one of those in friend's '69 Torino SCJ 429 and loved it!

Paul.

68gt390

Paul;
You mentioned a 5 speed. The speed shop which did my engine work for me has a Richmond 5 speed that they say will bolt right up to my car. I'm seriously thinking of doing that. Would sure help with gas milage on the freeway. Whole set-up for about $1100.00.

By the way did you ever locate a 390 for your car yet?

Don ;D

68sunlitgold

Paul,
I completly forgot some of the items you mentioned, I too would add Shelby wheels but it would be the 10 spoke wheels and a Paxton supercharger would also be a great addition!

Doug

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

So, my dream car would be as if I'd added all the possible Shelby American perf parts on the car in, say, summer '68.

As for the 5-speed, I think that 5th's ratio is .68:1, so 2500RPM would be about 1700 for the same speed.

That would sure help with a big block! Besides--just when that Rat motor Camaro peaks out next to you, you slam it into fifth!

Uh-OH! :eek:

PB gtcs

I would like to have the GT/CS looking just like it came out of the dealership. Not perfect, just like they came new. Then, agree, would love to know what those boys got down at the Shelby shop. Whatever they would add, I would love to have. I like the small block. In short, a GT/CS with the GT350 stuff. Toploader of course. The good suspension.

On the subject of the 5 spds, All of the tremec trannies I have seen have either .83 or .80 as the 5 gear. Makes 3.55 gears work well for street or strip. But personally, I would want to stick with the old top loader. Vintage all the way. Just want what was available to the big dogs of the day.

Brain