• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Leaking Battery

68 special

I just replaced my 1 yr. old battery because it was leaking all over the apron and frame. Now the new battery has decided to spew all over the apron and frame again. SO, do any of you electrical wizards (Steve) have any ideas. I'm tired of cleaning off acid and paint.

Thanks Bret

miller511

Bret,

Sounds like an over-charging condition. I would replace the voltage regulator.

-Jeff

69convert

I would agree with the over-charging idea. Get a voltmeter and measure the
voltage at the battery. It should read about 14 votls when the car is running.

imported_tree

leaking battery.

Thats Right. the voltage regulator is shot or sticking. replace it and your problems will go away.had this happen to mine a couple of times and it does get messy and can cause some big problems, thanks terry...........

hcsstang

If you go with a new one still check it before you run it. I purchased two new one and both were bad. I put the old one on and it was good. So I took the cover off of the new one and put it on the old regulator. I had to repaint the motor compartment and under the hood again.

PFSlim

As for a voltage regulator, I bought mine at NAPA. It should come to you silver and if you care about it looking original, it will require alittle bit of tape and some blue paint. However, I bought mine from NAPA last year and have not had any problems with it at all.

Started out with one from one of the mail order catalogs that looked like original. It did not last but a couple of months. Exact same with my starter solenoid. Just a heads up.

Paul

rvrtrash

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been busy with personal matters. I agree on the voltage regulator overcharging. If you have a battery you need to add water too, also make sure the water just covers the plates. Don't fill all the way.

Steve

OP
OP
68 special

68 special

Thanks to all who replied. I'll be heading for the parts store. There is so much knowledge on this site about these cars it's amazing. It has saved me a ton a time just by reading other posts as well.
Many Thanks again.

Bret