• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Lowering my front end

Doug

I want to lower the front end of my 390cs (auto w/air). Any ideas as to the best way to accomplish this. I love the car but it seemsto be to high in the front.

I've heard from someone that it's possible to lower the A arms (like they did with the early Shelby's)
I also have heard about using drop spindles -
Lastly I’ve heard about cutting springs.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks - Doug

Last edited:

carezcs

Doug
I used the 1" lower springs that are available from a number of sources. It still rides like normal and I'm happy with them. If you want more than that you may have to lower your a-arms but maybe someone else can tell you how much this will lower it.

nfrntau

You can also cut the springs if your not concerned with keeping them original. If you do so, cut a little bit at a time and re-check the ride hieght until it looks right. It is easy to cut too much if your not patient.
For the record I also bought 1" lowering springs for my car. They really aren't very expensive.

joedls

If you do so, cut a little bit at a time and re-check the ride hieght until it looks right. It is easy to cut too much if your not patient.

Make sure you drive the car a little and let the springs settle before you decide you need to cut more.

joedls

I want to lower the front end of my 390cs (auto w/air). Any ideas as to the best way to accomplish this. I love the car but it seemd to be to high in the front.

I've heard from someone that it's possible to lower the A arms (like they did with the early Shelby's)
I also have heardd about using drop spindles -
Lastly I ve heard about cutting springs.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks - Doug

If you aren't worried about a stock look, there are also front coilover shocks being sold by Ron Morris Performance that allow you to adjust your ride height. These shocks eliminate your shock tower caps and spring perch.

Or you could go all out and install a complete tubular coilover front suspension that has adjustable ride height, as well as tunable shocks, upper control arms, and strut rods. It's kind of pricey though.

rvrtrash

The Shelby method lowers your upper A arms (and front end) 1", is simple and period correct but places additional stresses on your ball joints because it changes the angle of them. Cutting your springs would do the same thing, except it would also increase your spring rate--make them stiffer. If you cut the springs, do a little at a time as mentioned by my son Joe :grin: , and use a cutting wheel, not a torch. Probably the best method is the new coil over systems or tubular control arms that have a relocated upper ball joint to correct the binding issue. I can't comment though on the drop spindles 'cause I know nothing about them.

Steve

390cs68rcode

On my Cobrajet I cut 3/4 of a coil off to bring the front end down. Looks great and tucks the wheels inside the fender nicely.

PFSlim

I replaced my coil springs (they were in bad shape) with the 1" lower (powder coated blue) springs. They fit great and look great, in my opinion. As well, we added 1" of shackle to new rear leaf springs. Lastly, we adjusted our front and rear tire sizes to provide a more even rake on the car.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang219.jpg
    Stang219.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC01249.jpg
    DSC01249.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 43

Perkchiro

You might have trouble with those 1 inch lift shackles if you have a GT rear valence. I attempted to use those but they didn't work because they interfere with the tail pipe extensions and they have a reveal in the exhaust openings. By the way Paul, your car "stance" looks great!

p51

The Shelby method lowers your upper A arms (and front end) 1", is simple and period correct but places additional stresses on your ball joints because it changes the angle of them. Cutting your springs would do the same thing, except it would also increase your spring rate--make them stiffer. If you cut the springs, do a little at a time as mentioned by my son Joe :grin: , and use a cutting wheel, not a torch. Probably the best method is the new coil over systems or tubular control arms that have a relocated upper ball joint to correct the binding issue. I can't comment though on the drop spindles 'cause I know nothing about them.

Steve

Here's a "how-to" on the Shelby modification - the mod that Shelby made on the mustang for better handling. This article, however, is based on a Ford Falcon.

http://www.joesfalcon.com/frntsusp/susp1.html

And another article about the same...

http://www.ftw.com.au/content/view/152/50/

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I did the 1" lower A arm modification years ago on my 390 '67 Cougar. It was very simple, although does change the geometry as others have mentioned. I couldn't really tell if if the ride quality was any different because I did the mod before I installed the engine.

No matter what you do make sure you get it aligned after. Having to buy new tires was an expensive lesson for this 18 yr old kid.:tongue:

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

Arlie - thanks for the article and templet. I plan in doing this to that nice Red Texas car that is now in CA. BTW I have found the missing (wrong) front suspebision parts and anm workjing on it now. You were correct the car is really nice. Thanks again. Doug

PFSlim

You might have trouble with those 1 inch lift shackles if you have a GT rear valence. I attempted to use those but they didn't work because they interfere with the tail pipe extensions and they have a reveal in the exhaust openings. By the way Paul, your car "stance" looks great!

Perk - Thanks for the compliment. We really enjoy the look as well. Here is a picture of my 1" lift on the rear leaf springs, exhaust openings and GT valence. It may not be done exactly to concourse but it works.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang434.JPG
    Stang434.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 47

Perkchiro

Paul: Does the shackle show in the exhaust cutout on the valence? I can't tell from the picture since its looking upward underneath the car. When I put the 1 inch extension on my car, it was hitting the chrome exhaust tips and part of the shackle was showing in the rear view of the car. I didn't like it, so I took them off. Not sure what to do next to lift the rear.

PFSlim

Paul: Does the shackle show in the exhaust cutout on the valence? I can't tell from the picture since its looking upward underneath the car. When I put the 1 inch extension on my car, it was hitting the chrome exhaust tips and part of the shackle was showing in the rear view of the car. I didn't like it, so I took them off. Not sure what to do next to lift the rear.

I dont think so. If you look under the car, you can see how close the shackle is to the exhaust tips. But looking from behind the car, you can only see the exhaust tips and not the shackles.

Paul

case12

It was the 70's...I wanted to see how my car would look jacked up in the back (that is how we did it back then). I cut some 2x4's to fit the axle, put the jack under the car, and inserted them between the axle and the frame (I know - I was stupid then). I drove less that a mile, and I now understand how much shock absorbers make our lives more comfortable. My teeth could not stop chattering.

I did, however, eventually add air shocks later. Cool....I could go to the gas station and lower or raise my rear end to any height, or ride, I wanted. Casey

Perkchiro

I used Jack Rabbit air shocks when I was in High School. Yeah, it was the 70's and having that rear end raised with those wide Parnelli Jones tires looked cool back then. An 8 track tape deck kept the tunes going. I put the air nipple under the carpet in my trunk and a trip to the gas station kept those shocks pumped. As I recall, I didn't mind the rough ride, but now that I'm 50, I'm into comfort. I still think I'll skip the air shock idea. Thanks for your input.