• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Monte Carlo Bar

Mosesatm

Is it possible to use a Monte Carlo bar with the stock air cleaner?

Or have I finally found a good reason to buy a new intake, carb, and air cleaner?

Jayscal

I believe the snorkel of the air cleaner would get in the way, even if you used a curved monte carlo bar. :sad:

So the answer is yes, you have found a good reason to buy a new intake, carb, and air cleaner. Doesn't your pony deserve to feel is oats again in its old age?

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Thanks Jay, that's what I thought.

So with that decision made; I am looking at the less expensive line of Edelbrock intakes and carbs. Is that a good choice for cruising around town?

joedls

Mosesatm said:
Thanks Jay, that's what I thought.

So with that decision made; I am looking at the less expensive line of Edelbrock intakes and carbs. Is that a good choice for cruising around town?

Arlie, I never had any luck with my Edelbrock carb. I could never get it tuned correctly. I even took it to a shop that "dyno tuned" it. Still always seemed to have a stumble in it.

davidathans

edlebrock performer rpm is a good intake manifold.
There is also an edlebrock performer that would probably be a little cheaper than the performer rpm, but i have the p rpm on my car.
as far as the carb goes it depends on how much your engine is putting out, i know on my 347 stroker with AFR aluminum heads, big cam im running a Holley 4779C which i love, but that would be too big for a stock 289

Jayscal

Well maybe for pure drag racing the street avengers aren't any good, but the name says it all "Street" avenger. I have swapped jets and and changed secondary springs on the Street Avenger in my car and it starts up quickly, idles sweet and runs like a raped ape when I stab the throttle.

The carburator debate has been going on for years, some people just have better luck than others with certain brands. So if your local mechanic or friend is good with a certain type carburator, I would take their reccomendation on what to buy.

davidathans

like i said he has been in the business for over 40 years...

Bob Jennings works with all types of carburetors, not just tuning for racing, but for streetability also.
the street avenger carbs arent just bad for racing..they're cheap in general.
Like i said i bought the 670 street avenger when i had no idea what a good carb was and ya i changed the jets and the vacuum secondary spring and ran 12.85s with it...so i mean you can get them to work alright, but in general you will have problems with it...i wouldnt recommend buying one...if you really want to buy one, i'll sell you mine for $100

this is one of those issues where its good to know what carburetor NOT to buy...the worst carburetor to buy is the Truck Avenger then the Street Avenger...these are words right out of the mouth of a really experienced mechanic, Bob Jennings

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

After all that's been said here, and on other web-sites, and talking to some local mechanics. I think I'm going to go with the full Edelbrock setup. All I need is something that will start quickly and run smooth. Thanks for your help on that problem!

Now to go even further off topic; why would my engine sound like a diesel when it idles and is under light throttle?