• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Mustang Monthly Editorial--"anti-GT/CS?"

P

PNewitt

CLUBPRO today, told me something about an editorial in a recent issue of MM that was not real complimentary to the GT/CS.

Could someone post what it said--or a scan of it (pending no copyright violation)....????

If it was "bad", maybe we need send e-mails to this editor and "educate" him about the CS....

Who knows about this???

thanks, Paul N.

Mosesatm

CLUBPRO today, told me something about an editorial in a recent issue of MM that was not real complimentary to the GT/CS.

Could someone post what it said--or a scan of it (pending no copyright violation)....????

If it was "bad", maybe we need send e-mails to this editor and "educate" him about the CS....

Who knows about this???

thanks, Paul N.

Was the article about the old GT/CS or the new one?

joedls

This one?

MODDING A CALIFORNIA SPECIAL
I just acquired a nice, mostly origi­nal '68 California Special with the four-barrel 302 and three-speed transmission. It even has the original smog pump and dealer-installed air conditioning. Originally Ivy Green, the car has been repainted Acapulco Blue. It is a beautiful hardtop that needs minor work to finish, but it has manual steering and brakes.

Driving in traffic these days with manual steering, manual brakes, and a three-speed isn't fun. Would it hurt the value of this rare car to add a power-brake booster and era-correct power steering? I love to drive these cars, but I'm also the kind of guy who likes to preserve automobiles.

Korey Flinn Anderson, IN

There are certainly occasions when modifying a vintage Mustang is not agood idea. This is not one of them. Your California Special seems to be a super­nice and desirable car, but because it's not an ultradesirable version-for example, with less than 25,000 miles or one of the rare 428 Cobra Jet cars I'd say that your proposed power-steering and brake upgrades will more than likely enhance the value. Adding power brakes and steering-even rack-and-pinion doesn't affect the overall vintage appearance, and those modifications can be easily unbolted and removed, although we doubt you'd ever want to go back to manual again.

Last edited:

clubpro

In the Pony Express section of last months (February) issue of Mustang Monthly a reader who owns a 68 GT/CS with a 302, 3 speed, manual steering and non-power brakes wrote in asking "Would it hurt the value of this rare car to add a power brake booster and era correct power steering"?

The answer from the magazine staff was; "There are certainly occasions when modifying a vintage Mustang is not a good idea. This in not one of them. Your California Special seems to be a super nice and desirable car, but because it's not an ultradesirable version--for example, with less than 25,000 miles or one of the rare 428 Cobra Jet cars--we'd say that your proposed power steering and brake upgrades will more than likely enhance the value. Adding power brakes and steering--even rack and pinion doesn't affect the overall vintage appearance, and those modifications can be easily unbolted and removed, although we doubt you'd ever want to go back to manual again".

When I read it the second time I realized that I may have misunderstood what the staff was saying. My first impression was that they were saying the California Special was not an "ultradesirable version". Reading it a second time I can see that they are saying that some are ultradesirable, but most are just desirable. I happen to think that my CS is ultradesirable to me at least. I guess it's a matter of personal opinion.

Cheers,

Ron

GTCSMustang

"desirable but not ultradesirable". Sounds like an accurate assessment to me. I think it's good advice.

Scott

Midnight Special

...I don't see a need to be defensive. I think the editor was trying to be empathetic and supportive of the reader's situation as possible ie; walking up to the line, but not crossing it.

I'm also with Ron re; our cars being "ultra-desireable", but then again; we are understandably immersed :)

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Sorry, Ron, I didn't mean to put you on the spot there....

What we need to watch out for in magazines--and books, is not only the misinformation, but the misunderstanding about the car.

For all that we've done to appreciate and promote the car, it's still not well understood.

I will say, what we have was enough to impress Ford to make them again for 2007 and 2008. We'll see what the editors have to say when they get one of my books on their desk.

...and...it would do them some good to see this site, and the family aspect of ownership--with BOTH the new and old models. The value may not be as high as other Mustangs, but it's the value of ownership that matters. I'm willing to bet that the GT/CS changes hands less than most other Mustangs and Shelbys. There is value in that.

Lots to teach, and lots to learn about our GT/CS.

Paul N.

case12

I saw that in MM too. As I read it, it sounded like the same type of advice we would give right here on this site. I think it was a sound and balanced answer. If it were me, who is obsessed with his GT/CS, I would have added tons of praise for the car - but then again, for me it is an obsession. I guess I need some "California Special" therapy.:scared: Casey

Mosesatm

I saw that in MM too. As I read it, it sounded like the same type of advice we would give right here on this site. I think it was a sound and balanced answer. If it were me, who is obsessed with his GT/CS, I would have added tons of praise for the car - but then again, for me it is an obsession. I guess I need some "California Special" therapy.:scared: Casey

snip....Originally Ivy Green, the car has been repainted Acapulco Blue. snip.....

Casey, I'll be calling Von Quack about this one. Want me to set up an appointment for you?

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

wow, my question caused quite a ruckus. :)

No, not exactly, but I have a very paternalistic & defensive attitude when it comes to commentary by auto magazine and book writers about the GT/CS.

I've seen this--a slightly condescending view of the car, and it's certainly not fair. From the love I've seen expressed from hundreds of owners, by the registry mail I get, it's pretty clear that this Mustang stands alone.

It doesn't have to have a big engine to be unique and popular. It's always going to bring attention upon itself--wherever it goes. We know that.

So--it's not a matter of disagreement here, it's a matter of awareness, and respect for what it is, not what it's not.

Paul N.

BroadwayBlue

I didn't take the editor's comments as attacking the GT/CS.
And I'm not saying that or defending it because it's my old car either.

Even Ron said after he read it again he reconsidered the meaning.

It's all a matter of taste too. I'm not a Vette person and no matter how ultra-desirable a certain Vette is - I wouldn't be looking to buy it ... unless it was cheap and I thought I could flip it for more money maybe ... Saying our cars are desirable isn't a bad thing is it? They didn't say they were less desirable than something else.

I took it as the same advice they would've given someone on any Mustang or Classic Car for that matter.

All I think they were saying was that if it was a concours car or a completely original big block car you may not want to do it.

But like someone else said it would be the same advice we have given here on the site. It's your car - make it what you want. In this case Korey is looking to drive the car more and wants it to be safe and comfortable.

I considered making the same changes he talked about while I had the car and for me it was a weekend driver.

I really don't feel the editor was attacking the GT/CS at all just saying for any collector car that is rare you may not want to drastically change it but leave it as is.

For example - there was a cover article in Hemmings recently on a Lime Gold (not Ivy Green by the way :wink:) Shelby that was found in all original condition. Some rust spots here and there and not perfect. People are begging the guy not to restore it and leave it as it is. Not exactly the same scenario but I think you get the point.

The editor praised the CS as a desirable car. Let's analyze...

There are certainly occasions when modifying a vintage Mustang is not agood idea.
talking about all vintage Mustangs not just a CS

This is not one of them. Your California Special seems to be a super nice and desirable car
I see this as praise for the CS

, but because it's not an ultradesirable version-for example, with less than 25,000 miles or one of the rare 428 Cobra Jet cars I'd say that your proposed power-steering and brake upgrades will more than likely enhance the value.
Just as I said above ... a big block all original car ... and looking at resale value on what Korey was asking ... much like people here have replaced their engines with 428 CJ's they believe they've enhanced the value of their car correct?
There is a reason that original 428 GT/CS cars and even 390 cars sell for so much more than the small blocks ... there is something to be said for that.

Adding power brakes and steering-even rack-and-pinion doesn't affect the overall vintage appearance, and those modifications can be easily unbolted and removed, although we doubt you'd ever want to go back to manual again.
I always have had this view on Korey's car. I would've done things to it that didn't drastically change the appearance and could easily be reversed

Just my opinion on this but ...
I think you can plug any type of Mustang or vintage car into the above statements and it's not a bad thing at all.

Korey,
Would you be considering these upgrades to a 25,000 original mile 428 CJ GT/CS??

Then again - if the car was that I wouldn't have sold it to you in the first place !!! :grin:

clubpro

As I mentioned, the second time that I read the letter I read it differently than the first time. I am admitting that I am biased about our cars and maybe a little too consumed with educating and informing people about how rare our cars are.

Think about it, they made less Cal Specials than 68 Shelbys. There are probably less still on the road than the 68 Shelby. They made less High Country Specials than 68 GT500's. So the question is; Are they rare or are they ultra-rare?

You can probably tell that I have an addiction to these cars and my wife says that I need help.

I'm thinking about checking in to the Henry Ford clinic soon...

Cheers!

Ron

franklinair

You're all right (correct).
1.) Wally05 asked a legit question as how to make his C/S more driveable (user friendly) with the additions of P/S & P/B.
2.) MM gave accurate answers to his questions re: upgrades.
3.) The C/S & HCS models have become a rare breed within what has become a rare breed (vintage or new, the ratio is VERY small compared to standard production Mustangs).
4.) All of these special models are comprised basically of bolt-on-parts. That's why documentation confirming their pedigree is of paramount importance.
5.) Aftermarket mods/improvements can add to the value if done responsibly, without sacrificing the integrity of the original concept. (Yes, this even includes color change if the owner so desires. I would only hope that the color chosen would be compatable with original selections of that model year.)

I acquired my C/S for several reasons. Mustangs have been my hobby for many, many years. And '68's have always been my favorite year. Add to that the rarity of this particular model, and the condition of this specific car when I found it. And, quite selfishly, speculation on future value due to the rarity of this model. It has undergone changes from its original configuration that I consider improvements: color change from green to Meadowlark yellow, SS Argent wheels, wheel lip moldings, dual exhaust, GT rear valance, cruise control, and soon to be added P/B. Modifications from its original status? Yes. But I don't believe I have 'confused' its identity. It is a pleasure to own & drive, and when I have to turn in my driver's license someone is going to get a heckuva car!
I agree with Paul's position about publicizing our cars (vintage & new) to enhance our hobby/ownership of these special models. Its a win-win philosophy. And that's my 2 cents worth for the day. Happy motoring, cruising, hobbying, and owning!

Neil Hoppe

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Neil-- I appreciate your thoughts on this...and you are 110% correct.

My previous comments weren't directed at the MM comments, but in general over the years, I've read all kinds of articles, and Mustang coffee table books that just never seem to get it right (i.e. "sequential taillights", etc..). One book out now says that they all had 390s.

It's probably too strong a word to say: "patronizing", or "condescending", but I find that some (not all) of the writers for Mustang publications treat the GT/CS like it's some sort of misunderstood stepchild. That's because it's smack-dab in the middle of the Mustang-Shelby lines. It's easy for them to quote HP ratings for Boss 302, and tell us how many Mach 1s were made, but, "oh, this GT/CS, sure is a mystery..". Then they proceed to say pretty much that it's just Shelby parts slapped onto a coupe. Well, it's a lot more than that...(it was a parallel project to the '68 Shelbys; we have it on paper).

I know that it's blowin' my horn too loud to say this, but the Mustang world will be sitting on it's ear after my (our) book is out. Each and EVERY GT/CS out there will all of a sudden be of great collector value...that is, the numbers, and options, and colors, engines, etc....and the whole history will put things into perspective. You'll see.... :p

It was that misinformation, back in 1986-7 that prompted my doing the first book. I think of it like this....if it was WWII, and the well-established and regarded Brits were going after a bridge, and then out of nowhere...the Scots all of a sudden show up (think: Peter Lawford), and amaze everyone! We're the Scots (in a Mustang kind of world).

We're left of center (OK, "right" for some of you--LOL), and being the unique guys makes us pretty "neat". It's in that uniqueness--or difference that makes us attractive, but mysterious at the same time.

And that is why we read things in books and magazines that aren't quite right...

(IMO) I think everyone needs to re-evaluate just how lucky they are to have something this totally unique. No other Mustang is quite like this.

Now, go out there and give your GT/CS a big hug, OK!!!???

Paul N.

somethingspecial

You can probably tell that I have an addiction to these cars and my wife says that I need help. I'm thinking about checking in to the Henry Ford clinic soon... Cheers! Ron[/QUOTE said:
Ron, You are not alone, we are here to help. My wife says that to me all the time. LOL,

I had to read the article a couple of times before I saw the true message. I can't help but think that ANY press we get on the GT/CS will spark interest in the cars, as many people who read about them will say "What the heck is a California Special"? They will then be drawn to investigate, and will probably be drawn to this site, or special books written on the car. ;) I had never heard of one until Tim took me over to see my first look at a GT/CS, I fell in love with it. (I was a born and raised Chevy guy) Been Obsessed ever since. JMHO.

I have a C-code GT/CS that was orig. Lime Gold with Ivy Gold interior, 289 2 BBL, 3 spd. and 8" rear. It has been repainted Metalic Copper, Black Interior, 302, 4 BBL, Borg-Warner T-10 4 speed. With all these changes it has already undergone, I decided I am going to transplant a 428PI, Top Loader 4 speed, 9", power steering and power disc brakes. All changes are reversable but will it hurt or enhance the value? IMO, it will only enhance this car.
Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

'cept side pipes and HUGE fender flares...LOL!

to the envy of Dearborn at the time.....the GT/CS was born from the Southern California hot rodding and customs scene...

So---why stop at a stock version? Go for it....as long as it makes you happy--and you want it "reversible' for a stock status later.

Paul N.

BroadwayBlue

As I mentioned, the second time that I read the letter I read it differently than the first time. I am admitting that I am biased about our cars and maybe a little too consumed with educating and informing people about how rare our cars are.

Think about it, they made less Cal Specials than 68 Shelbys. There are probably less still on the road than the 68 Shelby. They made less High Country Specials than 68 GT500's. So the question is; Are they rare or are they ultra-rare?

You can probably tell that I have an addiction to these cars and my wife says that I need help.

I'm thinking about checking in to the Henry Ford clinic soon...

Cheers!

Ron

I hear you Ron I'm the same way!!!

I hope my post didn't come across that I didn't think our cars are rare!! Quite the contrary - I just didn't think MM was degrading us.

I think people might regret when they ask me "What is that?". I should probably offer them a seat because I go into my whole long GT/CS rendition of "Let me tell you how it all started..."

No one has walked away mid-sentence yet - they seem truly interested and and surprised to learn the history on the cars.

I know there are others here that are the same way ... maybe we can get a group rate at the clinic!!