• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

My new 390 CS will be delivered Monday 5-23-05 updated

P

PNewitt

Re:My new 390 CS will be delivered Monday 5-23-05

Using one of those aftermarket compressors is always a better way to go--over that "boat anchor" original version.

What about getting some original A/C registers (middle of dash, and at each end of lower dash), and hooking up the Classic Air hoses to them?

Congrats on your new "baby". Maybe there are some hidden treasures, like build sheets, etc., under the seats, dash and carpet??? Does it have a build tag on the left front of the core support?

Paul N.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

Re:My new 390 CS will be delivered Monday 5-23-05

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1711;start=15#msg10806 date=1116957906]
Using one of those aftermarket compressors is always a better way to go--over that "boat anchor" original version.

What about getting some original A/C registers (middle of dash, and at each end of lower dash), and hooking up the Classic Air hoses to them?

Congrats on your new "baby". Maybe there are some hidden treasures, like build sheets, etc., under the seats, dash and carpet??? Does it have a build tag on the left front of the core support?

Paul N.
[/quote]

I will probably use the supplied vents and then upgrade if it needs it to look more original at a later date.

I will be looking for the build sheet soon (instrument bezel replacement coming) but doubt it is there. the car has been pretty much restored so I would assume they took it out but we shall see.

no build tag

I was replacing the thermostat today and broke the thermostat housing so gotta get a new one tomorrow.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

starting the small things I like to do to my cars. Today I replaced the mustang scripts on the car, installed a reconditioned instrument bezel, lenses, painted the needles and took out the clock to send off for quartz movement installation. Also installed under dash courtesy lights. went to replace the thermostat (pretty sure it was stuck) and broke the thermostat cover. Guess I wanted to make sure of no leaks and overtightened. Will get a replacement tomorrow.

over the next month or two I will be doing all the little small stuff to the car to make it show worthy. I (my shop)will be installing a AC unit within 2 weeks, new headliner, door panels and door knobs, etc. Quite a few other little things to do but all in all the car is in great shape.

Sarge

JB,
I guess by your remark of "my shop" means you have "professionals" that can do the work. Please let me know how the install of the A/C goes, as this is a "must have" option for me. I read somewhere (OK I forget where, must be "old-timers disease") that it takes about 8 hours to install the complete kit, and that is if you know what you are doing.

I kinda know what I am doing, but need "adult supervision" when I take on a project of this magnitude!!! ::) Keep us informed!
Robert

rvrtrash

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1711;start=15#msg10828 date=1116986165]
went to replace the thermostat (pretty sure it was stuck) and broke the thermostat cover. Guess I wanted to make sure of no leaks and overtightened. Will get a replacement tomorrow.
[/quote]

I don't know if there is a tie in or not, but my factory air car has a thermostat housing with a threaded port that a sensor screws into. When the engine gets above a certain temp., it changes the vacumn path to the distributor so the idle will pick up. You might want to look for something like this since you have to replace yours anyway.

Steve

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Sarge link=board=1;threadid=1711;start=15#msg10830 date=1116986758]
JB,
I guess by your remark of "my shop" means you have "professionals" that can do the work. Please let me know how the install of the A/C goes, as this is a "must have" option for me. I read somewhere (OK I forget where, must be "old-timers disease") that it takes about 8 hours to install the complete kit, and that is if you know what you are doing.

I kinda know what I am doing, but need "adult supervision" when I take on a project of this magnitude!!! ::) Keep us informed!
Robert
[/quote]

yep, I have a shop that I use to do most of my mechanic work. the AC supplier told me for a shop that has never done it before expect them to keep it 3 days or so. I think the 8 hour estimate is if you did not stop at all and kinda knew what you were doing. I agree with you also on the adult supervision thing as I need lots of supervision. ;)

nfrntau

[quote author=Sarge link=board=1;threadid=1711;start=15#msg10830 date=1116986758]
I kinda know what I am doing, but need "adult supervision" when I take on a project of this magnitude!!!
Robert
[/quote]
I need this most of the time, regardless of the project. I have to admit I prefer adult Female supervision :) ;) :)

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

[quote author=nfrntau link=board=1;threadid=1711;start=15#msg10856 date=1117056733]
I kinda know what I am doing, but need "adult supervision" when I take on a project of this magnitude!!!
Robert
[/quote]
I need this most of the time, regardless of the project. I have to admit I prefer adult Female supervision :) ;) :)
[/quote]

me too, that's why I only hire women to work at my business. ;D

68sunlitgold

If any ones wants a copy, I have the Mustang Monthly "how to" article on installing 67-68 A/C in the car. It is very detailed and has alot of pictures. I plan to install A/C in my coupe once I get to GA this summer (I think I will be needing it with BLACK interior). I also have the CS to compare to since it came with factory A/C. I purchased all the components awhile back but like Paul suggested, I intend to put in a Sanden compressor for better cooling and less HP loss, everything else is stock.

Doug

case12

June issue of Mustang Times (MCA) has a nice Tech article on how to install the Classic Auto Air system - 4 pages and 32 color pictures. Casey