• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Need a neck brace

Maine gt/cs

I took my 17 year old son to the local drag strip yesterday so he can learn to drive a 4 speed in the GT/CS. The car will be his when I am done with it so he thinks its time he learns how to drive a standard in HIS car. I figured out quickly he doesn't understand the difference between ride the clutch and POP the clutch. I told him to let the clutch out slowly and give it a little gas at the same time. WOW. Justin Gives it a little gas and pops the clutch and then lets off the gas. That thing was bucking around like a wild Bronco(or Mustang) and I am yelling, GIVE IT GAS ,GIVE IT GAS. He floors it because he all wound up about the car jumping all around. Well, It stopped the car from jumping around. After about 30 feet of rubber and me yelling, LET OFF, LET OFF, he does without kicking the clutch in. The deceleration almost bangs his head off the steering wheel, me the dash, and the car stalls. All this in about 10 seconds. We looked at each other and I asked him, Well, how do you like driving a standard. He asked me, Dad, what if I break something on the car. I just said, Justin, those are just parts, we can fix that. His smile was so big, I didn't know he had that many teeth in his head. Kinda made my heart a little bigger too. After an hour, he was shifting all 4 gears pretty good. Starting out still needs a lot of work though. When we switched seats, I could have sworn I heard the car say, Thank you for making it stop. What a fantastic day with my son. Oh, and his new nickname is BUCKY.

Tim

robert campbell

What a story and what a hoot!!! Bucky, gotta love it!!! The comment on his smile warms my heart!!

I have had the fun of teaching quite a few people to drive a clutch car. I always tell them that a clutch is not an "on and off switch". Start them by having them just SLOWLY bring the pedal back and feel the car move and engine slow down with their foot no where NEAR the gas pedal. Then push it back in.

Do this about 10 times.... The first 5 they kill the motor..... Good workout for the starter. Then we start the throttle/clutch debacle..... Then the bucking starts..... Release the gas and PUSH the clutch in NOW!!!

Yep, no way to get around it!!! It is an acquired feel that lasts a lifetime!!!

Rob

Don

Classic.
One of my favorite family movies is my dad filming my mom "learning" to drive a column shift 50's chevy. I have not seen the film in 40 years but I have vivid memories of the black and white footage, with my mom doing the herk and jerk, while trying to do both driving of the car and being glamorous for the camera. Those stories and memories should never be allowed to fade away.