• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 need ideas for sign

calspecialchic

I am having a nice sign made by "Grand Illusions". They take awesome pictures of your car and you can have lots of things made with them. While living in Virginia and Wisconsin, VERY few people know what a California Special is. I'd guess I could count on one hand in both states. Many people think it is something I made. I am getting a bit tired of the ignorance. Not when people ask me questions, but when people make remarks like they know what they are talking about to others and they dont. Then if I do say something, then they act all of a sudden like they know all about it. They can even tell me things like I dont have the right taillights cause they are not sequential. Maybe some of you have experienced this.
Anyways, with the photos taken, I am having a sign made. It is a large sign with a neat picture on the top, then specs or whatever else I want written on the bottom.
I also have an Elite Marti report out there too which has helped inform many a looker. But since not everyone takes the time to read about it, this would be an easy clear sign telling a bit, then they can always read the report or ask questions.
ANYWAYS, I was not going to list a bunch of detailed specs. It is a 289 so not a whole lot to brag about engine wise. So, I was just going to say
1968 Mustang
California Special
One of 3867
Originally marketed as a a"California-Only Mustang",
the GT/CS is designed with many Shelby features including
Fog Lights, Hood Pins, Side Scoops, Stripes, Decklid, and Taillights

This is all I was going to say on it. Spaced out of course and different size fonts. I just wanted an opinion on what anyone thought. The more words the smaller the writing and I was looking for something easy to read and catch the eye, that would atleast say "YES, IT'S A REAL CAR!"

rvrtrash

The stripes were CS only. With 300 or so members here, you'll get 300 or so opinions but I would change the "Originally California Only" line to something like "Limited factory production for California Ford Dealers". Other than that, I like it. You'll have to post a picture of the sign once you get it made.

Steve

Mustanglvr

Put in "Blacked Out Grill" instead.
I always say that they were "factory modified Mustangs".

OP
OP
C

calspecialchic

Thanks. I know the stripes were not Shelby stripes, but different than regular mustangs. That was what I meant anyways. I like the "Limited factory production..." line instead. But is that going to cause the whole argument that although they were made for mostly S. California dealers, they were sold in a few other states? That is the main reason I wanted to post for opinions. I did not really like how I had it worded, but could not come up with something else.
Yeah, these signs are awesome. If you want, check out "Grand Illusions Photography" He does such neat work. He will have a close up of your car, then similar to a collage in the background. Way to cool to put into words.

rvrtrash

My understanding is that 5000 were planned for SoCal dealers to help them move coupes. When those numbers didn't materialize, they started offering them to "neighboring" states (probably to use up the stock of parts they'd ordered that wouldn't work on the '69 that was coming out shortly). Mine was sold new in Hawaii. Personal opinion only, but talking to people at shows is about the only reason I go, for the few shows I do hit. It certainly isn't so some idiots' kid can spill his ice cream down my fender, or I can score a really nifty $10.00 trophy. If the people at the shows you go to are universally rude or obtuse and it annoys you, do cruises instead. It should be about fun, not a battle. JMOA.

Steve

CougarCJ

A sign is a great idea!

I have the same recognition problem with my Drag Pack Cougar. Self professed "experts" claim that the oil cooler on my car must have come from a Mustang, because everyone knows that they never built Super Cobra Jet 428 Cougars in 1969.

Someone tell me if I am wrong?

There were 4118 California Specials and 251 HCS's?

My Marti report says 4118 CS's.

CougarCJ

3867 GT/CS's + 251 HCS's = 4118 :grin:

From our site under identification. :eek:

1968 CALIFORNIA SPECIAL & 1968 HIGH COUNTRY SPECIAL

* Fiberglass trunk lid and quarter extensions
* 1965 Thunderbird tail lights
* Pop-off gas cap
* Fiberglass side scoops
* Chrome quarter panel script (GT/CS only)
* Unique body striping
* Blacked out front grille
* Fog lights (Marchal or Lucas)
* Quarter turn hood locks
* Only coupes used. No convertibles or fastbacks
* Any regular Mustang engine, option or color available
* Built only at San Jose plant
* 4118 GT/CS cars produced (confirmed by Paul Newitt through Kevin Marti using Ford records. Previously estimated at 4025)
* 251 '68 HCS cars produced (confirmed by Bob Teets through Kevin Marti using Ford records. Previous promo literature states 250)

hookedtrout

Just for fun, here is the link to those signs
http://www.grandillusionphotography.com/automotive.htm

Yeah, I think the identification site is a bit misleading. Maybe needs to be re-worded

Looks like some pretty neat products however they have several words spelled incorrect on their web site which makes me questions their quality and oversight. May be nothing and I contacted them on the errors so they can correct them. We all make mistakes I guess.

Cory

aemoo28

I like your sign idea. I need to make up a poster or something for the shows. People on the street and at shows try to tell me I modified my car, or it's trying to be a Shelby, or it's a custom thing. Depending on the amount of time I have, or how they insist that a GIRL knows nothing about her car, I usually politely hand them my Marti.

Then they tell me my lights are supposed to be functional sequential... and I have to try hard not to raise my finger... trying to be a good representative of the GT/CS...