• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Need ideas on what to do with this car...

Wayne Westmoreland

I've had a great love of mustangs. I used to own a 1996 GT Conv. I now own a 2001 GT Conv and a 2007 GT/CS.

I recently inherited my grandfathers car which is a 1973 Ford LTD two door (it seems to be in great shape but hasn't been started in 5 years). It has a 400 CID 2V engine, which is like the 351Clevelands big brother. Research on the internet has shown lots of controversy over the capabilities of this engine. I know this is not the most popular car in the world.

I am struggling over weither to restore the car and make a sleeper, maybe trick it out a bit, or weither to just rebuild the engine and use it in another mustang.

Any ideas?

rvrtrash

I'm not sure I would refer to the 400 as the 351 Cleveland's big brother. It's more like a distant cousin, and from the wrong side of the tracks. Depending on what the car needs, you'll probably spend more restoring it than it's worth. If you plan on keeping the car, I'd just do enough to get it running reliably and use it for running around town and such.

Steve

Mustanglvr

My dad had a 1974 LTD that he bought brand new. He loved his.
It was a beautiful car when it was new.
You should restore it in your Grandfather`s memory.

CougarCJ

River trash is right, that is a sort of Cleveland engine. Midland to be precise.

I would classify it as a LoPo engine. Low Performance.

I wouldn't fool with the engine or the car, unless it has some sentimental value to you.

OP
OP
Wayne Westmoreland

Wayne Westmoreland

Actually I believe the M in 351M and 400M stands for Modified because they changed the deck height. :wink:

Steve

I found a good article on FordMuscle. This is what it says about the "M".
This article outlines rebuilding a 400 into a 385hp / 468lb-ft for around $2,000. If anyone is willing to take the time to read this, please let me know if this is really feasable. This seems like an overwhelming project for someone who hasn't rebuilt an engine before, but I think I have enough knowledgable friends to help me out if I get in a bind.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/11/351M/index.shtml

"Finally, what exactly does "M" stand for? Ford says it has no official meaning. Some think it means "modified" -due to the new 351 being modified from the 400. Others think it signifies the Michigan foundry where the block was cast, however the 400 and 351M were cast at both the Michigan (code MCC) and Cleveland (CF) plants."

joedls

I found a good article on FordMuscle. This is what it says about the "M".
This article outlines rebuilding a 400 into a 385hp / 468lb-ft for around $2,000. If anyone is willing to take the time to read this, please let me know if this is really feasable. This seems like an overwhelming project for someone who hasn't rebuilt an engine before, but I think I have enough knowledgable friends to help me out if I get in a bind.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/11/351M/index.shtml

"Finally, what exactly does "M" stand for? Ford says it has no official meaning. Some think it means "modified" -due to the new 351 being modified from the 400. Others think it signifies the Michigan foundry where the block was cast, however the 400 and 351M were cast at both the Michigan (code MCC) and Cleveland (CF) plants."

I was reading Popular Hot Rodding magazine last night. They are having an engine builing contest. The builders can use any stock displacement engine and they will run them on a dyno. They will average the HP and torque and divide it by displacement and whoever has the highest number wins. Several entrants are going to use the 400M engine. It'll be interesting to see what they do to them.

OP
OP
Wayne Westmoreland

Wayne Westmoreland

I finally got my grandfathers car home this weekend. I thought I would share a few pictures. She is quite dirty but is in great shape.
Pop-PickupDay20071020.jpg

Pop-3PickupDay20071020.jpg

Pop-2PickupDay20071020.jpg

Pop-4PickupDay20071020.jpg

OP
OP
Wayne Westmoreland

Wayne Westmoreland

Good Luck with it!

Have you decided what route you're going to go yet on the restore?

I have decided not to necessarily restore to original. The car is not that special to the public. Its only special to me because it belonged to my grandfather. I plan to call the project "Pop". That was my grandfathers name that we called him. He was what my brother calls "the original gadget guy". So I thought maybe I would try some crazy things that maybe he would have got a kick out of if he were a young man today (especially on the interior). We have so many more possibilities today.

I am having trouble finding inspiration. I have googled my heart out but I'm not sure where to look for possibilities. I'm thinking maybe bucket seats in the front and back..... Consoles for comfort and technology.... Get some horsepower under the hood... killer paint job w/tinted windows. Anything is possible I guess.

BroadwayBlue

About the Ford Interceptor Concept car for inspiration?

When you mentioned bucket seats in the back it made me think of this.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/ford-interceptor-concept/124427/

Good luck and keep us posted. You'll figure it out!

It doesn't matter what's special to the public ... it's your car and what's important is what is special to you!

Attachments

• ford-interceptor-live---11.jpg
    ford-interceptor-live---11.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 20
  • concept_Ford_Interceptor_int_cad_430.jpg
    concept_Ford_Interceptor_int_cad_430.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 26