• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 "Never give up on your Special."

aemoo28

I'd like to hear some stories from you. Tell me how injuries have occurred during resorations of your Specials. Tell me why you didn't give up, or did give up.

I recently suffered second degree full thickness burns over large areas of my body from an exploding overheated radiator. Dumb of me to remove the cap, while leaning over it, but a lesson learned is a lesson learned.

How many can say they've been naked in downtown Ballard, on fire with chemical & thermal burns, screaming her head off, cursing the car they've done nothing but love? Witnessed by onlookers?

I hauled this resistant car out of California using 3 flatbed trucks. I've learned how kind, supportive, and dedicated you forum members are. Priceless experience to say the least. It tried to kill me twice. Put me in the hospital and out of commission for 3 weeks. I need to know others have gone thru this, survived, and completed the re-build (or gave up) before I decide to sell her & her evilness.

I'm afraid of this car right now, but someone just told me "she's just trying to assert her dominance as the alpha", which may give me the motivation to continue.

Please share your stories with me. Thank you.

Amy

mechanicalguy48

Its good to hear there is still some fight in you Amy. These cars can confounding for sure. My most embarrasing moment wasnt with a special but happened when I was working at the factory. I was doing some carb changes during lunch in the fuel systems garage at Ford in Dearborn. I was a hotshot young engineer and I thought I knew it all. After I changed the carb I started the truck from under the hood as you can with the ford solenoids by jumping it with a screwdriver. The choke was on high cam so the motor was racing. Well the truck fell down into reverse and leapt across the aisle(thank goodness it was lunchtime) and it drove right up an top of a new Pinto and crushed it. I was left standing like an idiot in my stall. my hands had gone thru the fan trying to stop it as it pulled away from me,,,,, minor injuries considering the shame I had to endure. I was always the engineer who crushed the pinto. Someone could have been hurt , but I was lucky. There is still a big blue warning sign in that garage NOT to start your car/truck without someone behind the wheel.

robert campbell

Amy,
What Tim said seemed a bit harsh, but you need to know him. He is a great guy but as you will soon see with this thread, you are not alone!!!!

Where do I start??

I was adjusting valves and using the solenoid trick to assist in roller the motor. Got done and the battery seemed a bit week. Started to take the positive terminal loose and grounded wrench against the inner fender. Made spark. Batteries have hydrogen gas when used hard. BOOM!!!!! I was right on top of battery face first. Every cell blew the top off battery in about 6 places. Battery acid all over Rob’s face and in his eyes!! Trip to the ER to have Amy spray saline in eyes for about 30 minutes. Minor face burns and eyes came out ok…

Started 67 fastback in gear and it caught and jumped forward and damaged front of hood, roll around tool box, and bumper. Bumper still has a couple small marks to remind me of the stupidity!!!

Went off a small hill that was good for getting cars in air with my 1968 Shelby GT-500 KR. Smashed hole in pan, drained all the oil out. Towed home.

Did huge burn out in Bremerton with first Mustang with 351 Cleveland 4 speed motor with Mcleod clutch and pressure plate that was way to much for clutch linkage. Rod bent in half, fell out and Rob limped home with no clutch.

Did another huge burn out in Bremerton with first Mustang. Broke axle at the bearing and sent M-50 15 inch tire and wheel threw home owners fence and broke a bunch of it. Fixed fence. Ruined rear quarter. Towed home and had all sorts of fun pulling axle without flange…..

Just dropped the pan on my GT/CS twice chasing fluctuating oil pressure. Ended up being a loose connection on oil pressure sending unit. DUMB guy, Dumb Guy, DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!

I can go on and on. To much HP. To stupid….

Did I say that I ran over a dock at full speed with my boat last year. No alcohol involve, but another story in itself.

RoB

Last edited:

TraveledGTCS

During the early years owning my Special, I was cruising the back roads around the Spanaway, WA, area and went over a RR crossing which had a bit of a hump. I thought to myself "Hummm, I wonder what it would be like to go fast over it." So I did a U-turn and went back over the RR tracks back where I came from and U-ied again. This time when I went over the track and hump I was probably doing over sixty. I completely cleared the road and came down rather hard on the front suspension. I then heard a racket under the engine, stopped, looked under the car and saw quite a dent in the oil pan. I then drove home slowly - a little over three miles - with a clank, clank clank going on. The next day I took the oilpan off and checked out things. The only damage was a hole in the oilpan which I was able to repair. (A couple years later on a leave from the military I went back to the same area and the county had changed the crossing and taken out the hump - spoil sports.)

Don't give up Amy, I think everyone has had an experience of some sort with their Specials - or done something not smart. That's what makes them special.

rvrtrash

How about the time I was driving my '69 Fairlane (column shift auto), put it in park, got out to close a gate behind me and turned around just in time to see the car pin me to the gate. It had dropped into reverse and idled back. Seemed like forever before someone came along---and asked what he could do to help. I'm not sure what tone I used to tell him to get in the car and drive forward but he got the idea. I still have two palm prints in the trunk lid from trying to push forward.

Steve

franklinair

I've never had a car hurt me in the 50+ years I have worked on, driven, and even crashed. They are inaniminate objects that obey & react dependant on one's inputs & actions. I've left small pieces of my skin and a little blood on them not because of their actions, but of my own. It's a strange mixture of an inaniminate object that does seem to have a personality, based on it's operating characteristics. There is no 'bad' car (some may call it Satanic). They simply react based on the care (or lack of) and commands they have recieved. It is the owner/operator's responsibility to know how the car functions and what it can & cannot do. It operates solely on inputs & commands. Good begets good, Bad begets bad.
On another note. I've met both Paul and Tim (on my first trip) at Grass Valley, year before last. Both are outgoing & intelligent, good personalities - that happen to clash. Neither seems better or worse than the other. Just different. My suggestion would be to respect your differences, and only put forth the positive aspects of each. In the words of Jimminy Cricket, "If you can't say sumthin nice, don't say nuthin at all."
And that, boys & girls, is my Easter sermonette!! God Bless You All.

Neil

robert campbell

Neil,
Amen to what you wrote! Tim and Paul both have so much to offer our hobby. It is my hope that what was said can be forgotten and we can get back to the basics of this site. This site has wonderful people and as long as we keep it positive and about our cars all is fine. It is my humble opinion that we should keep our day to day lives in pm’s and not up on the site. I have gone through a lot in the last 2 years like all of us in our 50’s. Let’s support each other for that stuff in private. Tim is a great guy and we have pm-ed many times. Paul’s efforts for our car need nothing more said. Tim has not and does not challenge Paul’s efforts or knowledge.

Now to fixing Amy’s problem! Amy, whether you sell it our keep it, you need to fix it. You do not sound like a person that will pass a problem on to another person. So with that, lets get this thread on focus or start a new one.

Amy this is painful, but why did you think it was overheating? Any car at operating temperature may “explode” so to speak if the radiator cap is removed. Was your gauge showing “way hot”?

When was the last time you checked the water level cold before the incident? If not properly filled during the rebuild startup, air pockets may have formed and it was not filled all the way. If not checked after the first couple start ups it may have been low on fluid.

Did you notice any water leaking after the first start up? Is this why it was low?

If it is the radiator, then I have a known used one you can have. I also have a factory 17 ½ diameter flex fan from my car. It is a C8SE-B. I assume it came on a J code 302 of that year. It is a huge step up from a 4-blade fan that may be on your car. You can have it also.

I know that one way or another you will want to fix it whether you sell it or not.

Your car is not possessed. It is steel, rubber, and paint. Nothing more nothing less. You can learn to enjoy it and work with it.

Rob

robert campbell

Amy,
Put that car on a ferry to Bremerton!!! Give it to me for for a couple days. Whether you sell it or not, I will get it on the road and ready for whatever you do. I am out of here the week of the April 20th, but will be back the following week.

This car can be made right!! I will do that for you! No idle promise! You have been put through alot, but you are brave! PM me sometime and I will tell you about my premie son and how his NICU nurse is our friend for life!

Rob

Mustanglvr

Amy, I've had some scary moments with my car too. It's a right of passage for anyone that owns a classic car. I hear their made out of real metal and they can be a real bitch to deal with. Not like these new ones.
If you really think the car is out for your blood, then maybe you should do away with it. I realize you bought the car thinking it would'nt need much work, but that's what you've been dealt with and it's up to you to decide. Not to demean you but, you need to be more careful when around the car, any car.

robert campbell

Amy,
Offer still stands. Went into your gallery and the top of your radiator reminds me of a 65/66 radiator. And it looks a bit narrow.

All of your major problems with this car have centered around over heating. If you can get that whipped, I bet the rest will come easier.

I will give you the parts for free. I can provide you a private list of things your friends should check. Some are obvious, but sometimes they are overlooked. Your gallery does not show your fan, what stye, or a guess at diameter.

Or you can bring it over and I will whip it for you one way or another. I have a secure heated garage/shop and it will be safe. I was a radiator repairman back in the day. I would love to see and test your thermostat. I have found new ones that were defective. Would love to measure the space between your radiator and fan. I have a box full of fan spaces. Both Ford and aftermarket. I want to verify your temp gage to see if it is accurate. Initial timing can have a huge affect on how much heat a car runs. The fine tuning of advance in an engine can effect engine heat. Over the years, distributors have become generic "over the counter" and the quality not near what Ford engineered. Or they owner got the wrong year part. Lean carb mixture at idle can drive up exhaust temp. I can check all of this. Free.

I am sure other members on this site can confirm the paragraph above.

Whether you keep it or sell it, it will be more valuable and you will feel better selling it if the overheating part is gone.

We can discuss this on the site or privately. Your choice.

Rob

clubpro

Robert,

The radiator is a brand new high flow aluminum that I installed before I drove the car from Sacramento to Seattle. It is made for the 67,68 Mustangs.

Cheers,

Ron

robert campbell

Ron,
Sorry for my ignorance. I am not up on all types of later style radiators. I know you were EXTREMELY helpful to Amy.

Just a couple questions so I am on the same page if Amy wants my help.

I assume that you installed this after she had the problem on the way up? A brand new radiator after the problem?

The old radiator seemed very plugged up visually from looking in the cap opening?

The assumption was it was the problem? And I TOTALLY realize that none of this was easy on the fly while people are on the road!!! No Monday morning quarter backing here!

Just want to help her!

Rob

clubpro

Rob,

The original radiator was leaking on the top of the tank as well as the bottom. I was able to get a new aluminum for about the same price as the repairs were going to cost. I then painted the radiator black to look more original. The car ran great until we got to Tacoma and that is when the head gasket went. The car has a four blade fan that I felt did a good job. I like the idea about checking the gauge because I'm not sure that it was working properly.

Cheers,

Ron

hookedtrout

Hang in there Amy, take Rob up on his offer, I have a feeling your over the worst, you're not far away from having a really nice looking 68 CS to match your new one. Crank up that new Nickelback "Dark Horse" album and enjoy the day, it got me off to work on the right path today.

Cory

Midnight Special

P.S. I don't "cry". I get even. Anger & determination are erupting now, and now that my burns are healing (& itching like crazy!!), I may re-enter the ring. This car & I have come a long way, and I have to decide if it's worth the long travel ahead or to cut my losses now.

Thank you, everyone, for your support.

...All's well that ends well (and whatever it takes to get there).
I believe this thread's ultimate outcome will affirm its title! You have been tested and shown you have what it takes :) Now God bless and good luck!

Bob G

Sometimes we have too much on out mine!

Amy:

I hope you get better soon. It is painfull enough wrecking a car in an accident . your story is one of courage that tells me your are dispairate to keep your GT/CS against all the bad things that happened to you.

I wanted to suggest to you because every one on matter who they are and as smart as they are, are on a learning cure in live. Pick up at Borders any how to books , and I am not being critical (Cars maintaince for begineers) If you like I will buy the book for you , I think you would enjoy the simplicity of the learning material with out all the technical gargon.

Now! I want to tell you a story of what happened to me yesterday. I was preparing my loving Ford mustang LX 5.0. 1987 with orginal paint and only 6000 orginal miles for the Knotts Berry Ford show this comming Sunday.

I have two four post car lifts in my garage. One car sits on runners and is raised in the air and another car is parked under it. in my garage the measurements are tight from ceiling to floor 102 inches from floor to garage door opener one of my cars is a Mercedes-Benz 1968 280SL the car is 51.4 inches high it sits under the mustang . the mustang is 52.1 inchs high. so there is a tight clearence when the top car bunks on top ( mustang and the other car the SL drivers under the lift and is parked. Hardly any room to slip a car cover over the bottom car.

Now follow me!! there are 10 holes in each post and four handles that most lock in to place in these holes . When you get to the proper hole mine being what my wife referrs to the 8 wonder. Their is a handle you pull down on to release the hydrollic fluid and settle all four feet into the bottom perporportation of the cutout holes to keep the top car from comming down on the bottom car and lock the lift into place.

I have been going crazy with my business two visiting childeren and a ceiling of medical cost and care which has drianed us both financely and mentally, as well as two highly active kids with AHD that are a 24 /7 job. not good for me and my wife who have health issues.

The ford Mustang has been down twice in 6 months Both times I put it up I made the error of putting it to the 9th rum hole instead ofthe 8th rum hole!!!
Get my drift?

Low and behold yesterday when it was down after working on it all day with the covers over the roof. I decided to do a quick detail and wipe down the mustang. To my surprise I lifed the cover over the roof to fine a big dent in the front center of the roof. gulp how that get their? Stupid me of course. I forgot about the 8th wonder my wife keep telling me to remember.

so now I have to call my friend who does what is called Paintless Dent Repair an art learned at the German factories like Porsche the cars came down the assemblie line and inspected for minnor damage. It is also use back east for hail damage. My frind has pulled out rabbits out of his hat for me before. Since the paint is not cracked and we might need an upholstery shop to loosen and put back the headliner . I am crossing my fingers that my friend Dan can work his magic again.

I have always read up on automobile how they work , things I really did not understand but was curious to learn. President Kennedy once said " A mistake is not an error until you refuse to correct it". Ok the school of hard knocks! I learned my lesson and have a greater respect for this lift and know know to make up big signs that say go no higher than eight rum dummy! thought that be cleaver .

We all learn from our mistakes live .My wife remines me life is not perfect. We have to learn to think think with our brain and wisdow we are taught or are willing to learn.

So Amy do not feel so bad. We all try our best. I have major health issues I have to work through to keep my hobbie and love of my autombiles. I am always trying that is 90% of live. you will recover I did from my health issues and perseverence to keep my self going.

Read and learn ask questions . You can take a colledge auto introductory class and prehaps ask questions to a friendly mechanic and be truefull and say you want to do some minor service on your own car.

You will recover and be stronger from these mistakes by the wisdom you got.

I wish you a speedy recovery and good fortune in your future automoble endures.

Sincerely
Bob Geco
Long Beach, California

Scott

never give up on your THREAD

Hi,

Great thread Amy... it has got everything! Sort of like star wars (sorry trekkies).

As for bad experiences with cars, I have had more than my share but absolutely love it when something goes wrong! I haven't got to the stage of trying to make things go pair shaped but it is tempting when a trip is getting boring.

For our honeymoon my wife and I drove a 1961 EK Holden (pictured), an Australian GM, 138ci, hydamatic, 9 gallon tank etc to Melbourne from Sydney (1000 miles the way we went) then hopped the overnight ferry to Tasmania. Rather than take the highway to the south and eastern parts where everyone lives I really wanted to see the west coast, mainly because the name of the only road was "The Western Explorer". Started with sweeping bends and great asphalt but pretty soon deteriated into dirt tracks through a landscape rather like the moon. Main trouble we had was the collapse of both rear wheel bearings and that 9 gallon tank had to take us nearly 200 miles to the next petrol station. Add to that a river crossing by barge where the bargemaster had painted his dog to resemble a tasmanian tiger (extinct) and I was starting to think it was a bit much adventure for a honeymoon! The three cars we passed along the way were all serious toyota 4x4s. We eventually arrived at the petrol station to find a note "taking a few days off for fishing trip down south". The next petrol was 20 miles on and we had no chance of making it but a local gave us a few litres from his jerry can.

Thanks to the human kindness that I think we can always rely on and our own mettle these experiences are what makes vintage cars the centre of my most enjoyable experiences.

This forum and the GT/CS community have displayed extraordinary human kindness from my experience. I only hope these conflicts become an interesting part of our online road-trip and make us all better mates.

Attachments

• EK v Western Explorer.jpg
    EK v Western Explorer.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

She's earned her stripes? Maybe.

Update: 3 brake lines replaced, p/s fixed, other leaks repaired. Stripes are on! We've got the green light for the Port Angeles show this weekend!

Burn wounds are almost closed except at the point of delivery on my right hip. I do have pictures, but no one wants to see them!

I've learned a very important lesson... when the radiator cap is hot, use the end of your shirt to open the radiator cap so your fingers don't get burned. This way the boiling steaming radiator fluid won't blast upward & burn your face. It'll just go up your shirt. BTW not a good idea to lean over it as you're removing it either.

Ha ha! NEVER touch the radiator cap! "Do not remove while hot". See, before when the car overheated it was because the blown head gasket sucked all the water into the engine, and I'd just add more water to the radiator. It's still a big mystery where all that water went. Last time I added 6 gallons. (Lesson learned!)

Thanks for sticking with me through this education. It was my anger that made me keep going to see this project thru.

Currently looking for the paint mix info for Pebble Beige. Anyone? When the engine is pulled and short block replaced, I'll paint her back to that nasty ugly color. And I'm pulling the a/c, I think. It's not on the Marti anyway.

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8695&stc=1&d=1240429128

Attachments

• Satan with stripes in garage 012.jpg
    Satan with stripes in garage 012.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 33

Scott

(Ezekiel 28:13-15) .*.*.Every precious stone was your covering, ruby, topaz and jasper; chrys′o·lite, onyx and jade; sapphire, turquoise and emerald; and of gold was the workmanship of your settings and your sockets in you. In the day of your being created they were made ready. You are the anointed cherub that is covering, and I have set you. On the holy mountain of God you proved to be. In the midst of fiery stones you walked about. You were faultless in your ways from the day of your being created until unrighteousness was found in you.

...I think I'm starting to see the similarities