• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New Recall On 2005 - 2008 Mustang's

jrys

February 22, 2008

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD -Compliance Recall 08C02:

Certain 2005 -2008 Mustang Vehicles

Reprogram Restraint Control Module

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 2005 through 2008 model year Mustang vehicles built at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant from April 22, 2005 through January 31, 2008. Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.
REASON FOR THIS COMPLIANCE RECALL

The affected vehicles do not comply with one of the neck injury requirements specified in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 208 -Occupant Crash Protection for an unbelted 5th percentile female sitting in the passenger seat while it is in the full forward position.

SERVICE ACTION

Dealers are to reprogram the Restraint Control Module using IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System) that is updated with release (R53.7) P16 or later. This service must be performed on affected vehicles at
no charge to the vehicle owner. Do not demonstrate or deliver affected vehicles that remain in your new vehicle inventory until this compliance recall has been completed.

NOTE: Owners are encouraged to have this recall performed as soon as possible. Until this recall is
performed, the vehicle owner can eliminate any real world risk associated with this noncompliance by making certain the front seat passenger wears the safety belt and positions the seat rearward, away from the airbag.

miller511

I think the conditions would look like this- Adult female (or a tall skinny kid) ~110lbs or less/ Tall enough to smack their head on the windshield/dash when the seat is all the way forward. The air bag on passenger side is disabled if less than 110lbs are detected on the passenger seat (there seems to be a weight sensor on the seat). I would guess that most guys tall enough to hit their head on the windshield/dash weigh in at >110lbs.

Saying "5th percentile female" is certainly a scientific way of describing the height/weight of a person (makes me think of Coneheads and "Parental Units").
It's not too much of a stretch to imagine many people spent many hours (at least one hour) discussing how the verbage would read.

I noticed the passenger sensor toggling on and off when my GF and I went to dinner (it was off travelling to...and it was on travelling home ;-) Yep, she's in therapy because she thinks my car thinks she's fat...I just can't win!

FYI- All Mustangs are made at Flat Rock, MI...as well as at least one Mazda models.

rvrtrash

I noticed the passenger sensor toggling on and off when my GF and I went to dinner (it was off travelling to...and it was on travelling home ;-) Yep, she's in therapy because she thinks my car thinks she's fat...I just can't win!

So if you rigged it that when someone sat in the passenger seat, the glovebox would open and a little sign would pop up that said "OOF, she wouldn't find humor in that? :rofl:

Steve

miller511

Ya know...It could go either way. ;-) And at the end of THAT day, I'm pretty sure there would be a price to pay...either way!!!

albegtcs

so if I have a tall thin occupant under 110 LBS that is in the passengers seat all the way forward without there seat belt on, and I have a accident they will smack there head on my dash board, And this is a factory defect why ? ? sounds like physics.

Does anyone know when the dealer reprograms the Restraint Control Module using IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System) what that actually does ?